Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Roll Bar Stainless Trim L/R sides
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roberthbollinger
I want to replace the anodized stainless roll bar trim on my 1973 914. The top has a philips head screw, however, the bottom has a clip/spacer that is no longer produced. Does the trim have adhesive to hold it in place? How can I avoid damaging the vinal sail panel and reinstall the new trim? How can I save the clip/spacer at the bottom of the trim?

Thank you, Bob Bollinger
Roberthbollinger@aol.com
rhodyguy
The nut for the clip/spacer is located in the top of the wheel well. It may be covered with stuff.
iankarr
QUOTE(roberthbollinger @ Oct 1 2021, 06:54 PM) *

I want to replace the anodized stainless roll bar trim on my 1973 914. The top has a philips head screw, however, the bottom has a clip/spacer that is no longer produced. Does the trim have adhesive to hold it in place? How can I avoid damaging the vinal sail panel and reinstall the new trim? How can I save the clip/spacer at the bottom of the trim?

Thank you, Bob Bollinger
Roberthbollinger@aol.com

I just did this. Auto Atlanta sells the clips, but the stud is too short to get a nut on in the wheel well. Frustrating. I used a bolt through a right-sized washer that fits in the slot at the bottom of the trim. Used a little butyl to hold the bolt to the washer (jb weld would work better) and Bob’s your uncle. Note that the screw at the top has a spacer behind it so you don’t bend the trim when tightening.
Mikey914
Got you covered

https://914rubber.com/roll-bar-trim-clampin...for-porsche-914
iankarr
914 rubber to the rescue. Didn’t realize those were available!
914werke
was puzzled by the title as what is described as stainless is actually anodized alum.
bkrantz
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 1 2021, 04:59 PM) *

The nut for the clip/spacer is located in the top of the wheel well. It may be covered with stuff.

And one of the most challenging nuts on a 914 to get back in place.
mepstein
Get some good light in there and it will help.
Mikey914
Our next round on these we will make the "bolt" section longer.
windforfun
QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 1 2021, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(roberthbollinger @ Oct 1 2021, 06:54 PM) *

Thank you, Bob Bollinger
Roberthbollinger@aol.com

I just did this. Auto Atlanta sells the clips, but the stud is too short to get a nut on in the wheel well. Frustrating. I used a bolt through a right-sized washer that fits in the slot at the bottom of the trim. Used a little butyl to hold the bolt to the washer (jb weld would work better) and Bob’s your uncle. Note that the screw at the top has a spacer behind it so you don’t bend the trim when tightening.

Note that the spacer has one flat side & one cupped side. The later points out & the cup is for countersinking the screw. Also, for the bottom, use a nut (M4 IIRC) with a captive lock washer & a socket head with a swivel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.