Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trunk lid torsion bar installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
My mechanic forgot to put the rear trunk lid torsion bars in before installing the engine.

There is clearance that runs along the back side with this setup. If I remember correctly, Renegade told me they would fit with no clearance issues.

Anyway, the thing I'm wondering if I will be able to put them in after the fact??

What is the technique in putting them in?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914Mels
There is a plastic wheel that the bar rolls against on the hinge, if you misplaced the originals or they are missing, I believe they are available from a few sources. Click to view attachment
914Mels
Here is a picture of the wheel/ rollerClick to view attachment part #2
partwerks
QUOTE(914Mels @ Oct 1 2021, 06:55 PM) *

Here is a picture of the wheel/ rollerClick to view attachment part #2

Thank you.
I have had the hinges on before I took it back to him.

Any special technique for slipping the bars in?
914Mels
Not really, once you get them in the engine compartment and thru the loop, it's more finding room to push the bar down to get it on the roller. the factory tool is a specialty tool but I believe I was able to put a deep 10mm socket over the end of the bar and with an extension, push down enough to get it on the roller.
914e
914 rubber sells a tool.
Arno914
There is enomous tension on those springs. DonĀ“t attempt to mount them with a 10mm socket or the like. Get the correct tool. Is way cheaper than a hacked off finger (and an easy job, too!). w00t.gif
You eventually need it in the future anyways to take tension off the rollers for lubricating or changing them.
rgalla9146
Putting the rollers under tension is a known issue.
The OP is asking if it is possible to install the torsion bars in position through the loop
on the back wall of the engine compartment.
I don't know if it can be done with a standard 4cyl or 6cyl engine.
Anyone ?
With a small block ? could be easier or harder.....
I'd start by putting the short arm of each bar through the center loop and feed it toward the opposite side of the car.
Give it a try. See what happens
partwerks
Got the torsion bars in.

Have about an inch of clearance of the elbow on the intake.

Now ya know why I wanted to get it under the engine lid grille.
I was getting sick of looking at that whack job in the trunk.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.