Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914-8 Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
Couldn't pass it up. I saw Kent's car for sale at the Phoenix Club.
This picture is my daughter Sammy in front of Kent's car 5 years ago at the G&R swap meet.
I always wanted a V8 914.
No, I'm not selling the six.
Here is a link to Kent's thread.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...228918&st=0
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gonzo54
Wow, Which car are you driving to the WCR? Put the V8 on the Dyno-
RiqueMar
Whaaat?! Very cool!
mepstein
Way to go Steve. beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
Congrats Steve; that is a real beauty and executed to perfection. Saw the car at a Rt 66 event in Idyllwild
Intresting sidelight; the VIN traces back to Drifter Jay. That goes back a few year
Steve
QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Oct 2 2021, 04:20 PM) *

Wow, Which car are you driving to the WCR? Put the V8 on the Dyno-

I'm bringing the six. The 914-8 runs and drives great, but I want to fix some little things first.
-Dash lights.
-Tach adapt
-Bluetooth stereo
-Horn
-Inside door handles
-bulk head seal (some hot air is getting in the car) Seal is missing.
-etc. All simple stuff!!
I just don't have time to work on it between now and the WCR.
Blue6
Steve, nice buy. Kent is not a bragger, so maybe you can point out all the cool things he did to the car. Start with the targa top. first.gif
sixnotfour
Wow, cool 914, Kent is the Body Man.. Enjoy driving.gif
He does have 914-6 in the waiting room..
Shivers
Some really nice touches. Congratulations
ndfrigi
Nice! Congratulations Steve! Now your daughter will drive the V8 on our next socal drive.
Steve
Fixed dash lights, installed horns, added voltmeter, clock and arm rest with drink holders.
Idiot lights don’t work and the harness in the engine compartment is hard to get to, so I added the voltmeter so I can see if the battery is charging. The car already had a temp and pressure gauge, so I don’t need idiot lights for that.
I also added a toggle accessory switch. The stereo and electric windows were connected directly to the battery. Now I can shut everything off or have it come on with the ignition or directly to the battery without running the motor.
Also replaced the CD player with a Bluetooth media player. The stereo is amazing.
I also put some foam padding on the roll bar by my head. I was paranoid if there was a side impact that it would crack my head.
Next step is suspension. Original hydraulic shock on front passenger side died. I'm going to replace all shocks with Bilstein HD.
Click to view attachment
Steve
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Oct 2 2021, 04:57 PM) *

Steve, nice buy. Kent is not a bragger, so maybe you can point out all the cool things he did to the car. Start with the targa top. first.gif

The targa top is way cool and matches the paint on the pillar. Only downside is that it’s cut short in the rear, so it won’t stay in the trunk properly.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Superb V8 914....

You must be a proud daddy beerchug.gif beer.gif drunk.gif biggrin.gif beer3.gif

Oscar
Steve
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 24 2021, 01:40 PM) *

Superb V8 914....

You must be a proud daddy beerchug.gif beer.gif drunk.gif biggrin.gif beer3.gif

Oscar

Thanks Oscar!! It is a one of a kind cool car. Glad I snagged it!!
sb914
The cats out of the bag ! I’ve seen this a few times wub.gif
Such a bitchen car. Shaved door handles,speakers in dash,
And the speakers that are behind you .
Don’t they go through the rear?
Lots of small mods on this car.
Now you have my favorite 8 and 6
Steve has all the cool stuff…….
Craigers17
Super cool car. Soooo clean... Anybody know the exact color? Looks like some sort of Satin Orange?
Steve
QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 24 2021, 02:24 PM) *

The cats out of the bag ! I’ve seen this a few times wub.gif
Such a bitchen car. Shaved door handles,speakers in dash,
And the speakers that are behind you .
Don’t they go through the rear?
Lots of small mods on this car.
Now you have my favorite 8 and 6
Steve has all the cool stuff…….

Thanks!! Kent installed metal boxes in the engine compartment, so they don’t interfere with seat travel. They work fine with a v8. They would probably interfere with a six.
Check out the link in the first post of this thread to look at Kents build thread.
Steve
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Nov 24 2021, 02:35 PM) *

Super cool car. Soooo clean... Anybody know the exact color? Looks like some sort of Satin Orange?

It’s called Atomic Orange Pearl
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Beautiful! Congrats again Steve!
Steve
Still sorting out the car.
-Front right boge shock died, oil everywhere when I removed it... Left front and rear shocks were KYB shocks blink.gif
Replaced all four shocks with Bilstein HD shocks
-Replaced rear 911 calipers with stock 914-4 calipers and disks. I now have an emergency brake again.
-Rear trunk had no latch or weatherstripping.
Added a pull cable and handle to open rear trunk and installed weather stripping. I will also eventually add a solenoid and wire it into the alarm system.
-The electric door locks were actuated by an alarm system that is no longer in business.
I replaced it with a viper alarm system. Now both doors open with the remote.
-The tires are 10 years old.
I replaced the 205-45-16 front tires with 205-55-16 stock height Michelin pilot sport tires. The rear tires are on back order 245-40-17
-Connected the defroster vents back up, to get fresh air into the car.
-Alternator regulator died. The voltmeter was pegged at 18v, which caused the LED headlights to turn off and the stereo.
Replaced alternator. $60.00 for a rebuilt alternator with lifetime warranty. Everything works again!! Can't believe how cheap the v8 stuff is.

The car rides nice with front stock height tires and 18.8mm 911 torsion bars and stock 914-4 front sway bar.

I didn't take any new pictures, because my goal is not to change anything looks wise.
Next steps:
-Install the factory charcoal canister to get rid of gas smell in the car.
-Wire up a rotary switch to get the fresh air fan working again.
-AC?
-Heat?
-HA 5th gear?

beerchug.gif
driving.gif

I should be getting my 3.6 motor back soon for my Blue car. Nice to have another 914 toy while the other car is apart.
sb914
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 8 2022, 05:13 PM) *

-Front right boge shock died, oil everywhere when I removed it... Left front and rear shocks were KYB shocks blink.gif
-Replaced rear 911 calipers with stock 914-4 calipers and disks. I now have an emergency brake again.
Added a pull cable and handle to open rear trunk and installed weather stripping. I will also eventually add a solenoid and wire it into the alarm system.
-The electric door locks were actuated by an alarm system that is no longer in business.
I replaced the 205-45-16 front tires with 205-55-16 stock height Michelin pilot sport tires. The rear tires are on back order 245-40-17
-Alternator regulator died. The voltmeter was pegged at 18v, which caused the LED headlights to turn off and the stereo.
Replaced alternator. $60.00 for a rebuilt alternator with lifetime warranty. Everything works again!! Can't believe how cheap the v8 stuff is.

The car rides nice with front stock height tires and 18.8mm 911 torsion bars and stock 914-4 front sway bar.

I didn't take any new pictures, because my goal is not to change anything looks wise.
Next steps:
-AC?
-Heat?
-HA 5th gear?

beerchug.gif
driving.gif

I should be getting my 3.6 motor back soon for my Blue car. Nice to have another 914 toy while the other car is apart.

You’ve been busy!
wub.gif Your car!
Steve
QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 9 2022, 06:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 8 2022, 05:13 PM) *

Next steps:
-AC?
-Heat?
-HA 5th gear?

beerchug.gif
driving.gif

You’ve been busy!
wub.gif Your car!

Thanks Eddy!! Always loved your car and miss you at the local events!! Can't wait for the WCR!!
gonzo54
Steve, Bring the V8 to PCA Glory Days Seal Beach this Saturday 02/12
FL000
Looking forward to seeing this in person. Nice setup and sounds like you are making a lot of progress. Do you doors have the electric solenoids to pop them open?
Steve
QUOTE(FL000 @ Feb 9 2022, 08:41 AM) *

Looking forward to seeing this in person. Nice setup and sounds like you are making a lot of progress. Do you doors have the electric solenoids to pop them open?

Both doors have electric windows and vernier actuators that open the doors. Sounds better than a clunk from solenoids. I want to take the doors apart to see how they are setup.
Steve
QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Feb 9 2022, 06:59 AM) *

Steve, Bring the V8 to PCA Glory Days Seal Beach this Saturday 02/12

Works for me!! See you there!!
Steve
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 9 2022, 09:57 AM) *

QUOTE(FL000 @ Feb 9 2022, 08:41 AM) *

Both doors have electric windows and vernier actuators that open the doors. Sounds better than a clunk from solenoids. I want to take the doors apart to see how they are setup.

Click to view attachment
Way cool how they setup the vernier actuators and electric windows.
Still going through the car. Got rid of the gas smell, by adding back the stock expansion tank and charcoal canister. I’m also having Dr. Evil build a 914 trans for it with tall gears.
The rear view camera and display gets easily washed out with too much sunlight, so I installed a stock rear view mirror and visors. Im also adding RS door handles. No way to close the doors with the windows up. I also installed a rotary switch in the dash to get the fresh air fan working again. I’m leaving the outside alone.
Cairo94507
Taking this beauty to the next level for sure. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.