Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do about fog light reflectors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeKopf
I was trying to address a little bit of rust on the rims of my fog light reflectors, so I dipped the rims in EvapoRust and it took the shinny right off. It looked terrible so I decided to take it all off and start from scratch.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

It looks like there is a layer of paint or sealer that the reflector coating was adhered to.

I'm wondering if:

1. Anyplace has these for sale new?
2. Can I just strip and paint with silver paint?
3. Should these things be chromed?

Thanks.

George
Shivers
You could try one of these: https://alsacorp.com/product-category/chrome-paints/

Or send them out to be plated. If you have a local resto shop around, see if they will send them in when they send in theirs. Cheaper if you send in a bunch of stuff, I did an air cleaner lid on an old T-Bird, $200.00 minimum on a run. And that was a life time ago, don't know what it would be now.
partwerks
Or would it not look right having them plated yellow?
Superhawk996
1st off. Have you tried to polish what is still there? Not sure what the grey base metal is, but, it might polish with a little Simichrome or soemthing like that. May be worth a try.

The best way would probably be to re-chrome. But, as previously stated I think you're going to find that unaffordable for just these parts unless they can be batched with a much larger job.

I'd probably opt for Bright Zinc. Can easily be done with an Eastwood Tin/Zinc (easier) or Caswell Zinc plating kit (better but involves more effort) at home.

Even the super simple Eastwood Tin/Zinc kit will polish up to a lovely shine. The problem is that you have to then clear coat that Tin/Zinc with something like Nyalic to keep it shiny. I used that Eastwood Tin/Zinc process on restoration on a 1964 Honda Dream for many fasteners that were unique and couldn't be obtained back in mid-90's. They still look great and have a nice shine. Not chrome, but definately silver, shiny and good looking.

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-electroplating-...m-tin-zinc.html

Eastwood used to sell Nyalic clear coat especially for use with that Tin/Zinc kit. Tractor Supply now sells it. I can vouch that the old stuff from the 90's hasn't yellowed. Haven't used it lately so not sure about modern formulation of Nyalic. Supposed to be good up to 350F which is probably plenty for fog lamp reflectors.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/n...ASABEgI6CPD_BwE
Spoke
Shameless plug time...

You could aways dump the reflector and bulb, install LEDs, get 2x intensity for 1/3 the power.
bbrock
I had good luck with Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome for my turn signal buckets. There are good Youtube vids on it, and it can also be found at many Radio Shack stores. Not a mirror finish but you don't need that for reflectance. I didn't spray a base of high gloss black as recommended for best results, but it turned out good enough for me. You can read more on my build thread starting here.

IPB Image
Ansbacher
As a stop gap in the past, I resurfaced the insides of several lamp assemblies with aluminum A/C duct tape. It is highly reflective and with care can be molded to surfaces with great results.

Ansbacher
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 3 2021, 10:20 AM) *

Shameless plug time...

Really a Public Service Announcement. I didn't realize these were available. Nice job creating that product!

idea.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 3 2021, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 3 2021, 10:20 AM) *

Shameless plug time...

Really a Public Service Announcement. I didn't realize these were available. Nice job creating that product!

idea.gif

All of Spoke’s products are awesome and very inexpensive compared to what the 911 guys pay to get done.
930cabman
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Oct 3 2021, 10:19 AM) *

As a stop gap in the past, I resurfaced the insides of several lamp assemblies with aluminum A/C duct tape. It is highly reflective and with care can be molded to surfaces with great results.

Ansbacher

Cheap simple easy, thanks for the tip
Spoke
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Oct 3 2021, 12:19 PM) *

Ansbacher

Here's a Triumph TR6 rear light fixture with the A/C reflective duct tape. Looks pretty good.

GeorgeKopf
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 3 2021, 09:03 AM) *

I had good luck with Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome for my turn signal buckets. There are good Youtube vids on it, and it can also be found at many Radio Shack stores. Not a mirror finish but you don't need that for reflectance. I didn't spray a base of high gloss black as recommended for best results, but it turned out good enough for me. You can read more on my build thread starting here.

IPB Image

Brent,

It is funny you mentioned this approach. I'm currently refurbishing my turn signal housings and converting them to the euro 2 bulb setup. I will give Spaz Stix a shot and update this post with pictures.

George
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.