Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maryland 914 tech shop?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaredmcginness
This has probably been asked before.

I am considering dropping my 1911cc off to get a “once over”
Just too busy, and am over getting frustrated with the rough idle. (Carbs, timing, etc)

It would be nice to drop the car off and drive it home. Have a “professional” set it up right.

Any ships in the Maryland area? I know translog (York) is reputable, but that’s about an hour out. Ralphs, etc.

I did get a quote from a VERY local shop (3 miles) (Deutscheworks)
long time aircooled mechanic, said quoted me 5-8 hours sans any unknown issues.

Thanks!
Jared
VaccaRabite
I'm familiar with them, driven by several times. I thought they were mostly a BMW shop - at least that what I've seen parked there.
Oh shoot, I'm thinking of Autobahn in Monkton, not Deutchewerks in Elkton. If DW does not work, try calling them. According to Google they also do a lot of Porsche work.

If DW does aircooled stuff and is that close you loose nothing by taking your car there and trying it out.

Translog is very good, but always has a sizeable backlog so it can take a while for your car to get done.

Zach
jaredmcginness
Thanks Zach!

I did a little more research on Deustchewerx. Owner/Mechanic is a 30 year certified VW Master Tech, so I feel like I will be in good hands. Very good reviews. (My old lady's Golf R has been serviced there recently and we were taken care of)

+ the shop rate is very reasonable.

I suppose I am very stubborn and do "all" my own work if I can. But maybe its OK to bite the bullet and save a headache now so I can enjoy my 914 and stop post threads here about my problems. ar15.gif

Made an appointment to drop it off in a few weeks.
Jared
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Hard to find good 914 shops these days as all of the 914 mechanics are of retirement age. We urgently need four mechanics to handle our customer load and cannot find them. Do not even reply to the ads we place. A sad state of affairs for sure
nditiz1
Jared - I'll have time this weekend if you wanted to bring it by before your shop appt.
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Oct 4 2021, 11:00 AM) *

Jared - I'll have time this weekend if you wanted to bring it by before your shop appt.

Thanks Nick.

Unfortunately not suitable for a drive around the block, and will need flatbedded to the shop.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 4 2021, 04:06 AM) *

Translog is very good, but always has a sizeable backlog so it can take a while for your car to get done.

Zach

Tony at Translog is a good dude and I've never heard anything but good things about the work at his shop.
Van B
I’d like to get in on this thread. I’m in southern Maryland and would like to find a shop that can get the engine/trans out of the car. I don’t have room to do it in my garage. And despite looking clean and dry when I bought the car. It’s now leaving oil on the floor after only 60mi of driving.
I’m thinking for a 50k mi unrestored engine, it would be wise to pull it out and replace all gaskets and seals.

Any leads or tips? The shops out toward Baltimore are just not practical for me.

-Van
nditiz1
Van it's really not bad pulling it out.

You can slide it out with just the rear on ramps if you remove the rear bumper. Ian Karr has a nice video on YouTube showing the whole process.

If you took it somewhere to have them do it you still have to get the engine home and the car.

If you don't mind spending some coin you can get a maxjax or triumph lift. Both will fit in a small garage. There is also quick jack that will get it high enough to remove.
Van B
I have a quick jack. I just don’t have room in the garage once the engine is out. And the wife won’t let me bring the engine in the house… I asked lol.
This is totally a first world problem, I know, but today’s weather confirmed for me that I’m not gonna leave the 996 or especially the 914 outside for any length of time.
mepstein
I’ve done it with rear ramps, remove the valance and a floor jack. Drop on a harbor freight furniture dolly. The rear will raise with the engine out and give you room under the bumper. I do chock the front wheels on both sides just for extra security.

We got the storm in Delaware. I have a lot of tree branch pickup tomorrow.
BeatNavy
The 996 can handle the weather more than the 914 with it's mild, non-galvanized steel.

But Nick's point is a good one. You will be much better off if you can manage to do much, if not most, of the work yourself. It's hard to find a shop that can and will work on these cars for a reasonable sum.

In this case, you may want to look to see where the oil leak comes from. Some possibilities are fairly basic maintenance (e.g., valve covers, sump cover) and others are more involved (e.g., front / rear seal, pushrod tubes, etc.).
Van B
I’m gonna have a look soon. But I still want to remove the whole power train. But the 911 is not going outside, no way. I’ve had it way too long and put way too much money into it.
Van B
BTW, it’s cracking me up how firm you guys are in me not taking it to a shop lol!
VaccaRabite
I can't even fathom driving a 914 that did not leak at least a little.
How do you know if it has oil in it?

I drive mine all over, and its always leaked a little bit.

Zach
Van B
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 26 2021, 03:12 PM) *

I can't even fathom driving a 914 that did not leak at least a little.
How do you know if it has oil in it?

I drive mine all over, and its always leaked a little bit.

Zach

You know, I’m gonna have to think about this. On one hand, I have OCD Van who wants everything to be right. And on the other, I have the Van who is OCD and can’t stand not knowing everything is right…

I think you can see my dilemma bootyshake.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.