Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sound of a worn angle drive?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hello teeners.....I have been trying to pinpoint a sound I hear coming from the back of my car.....sounds like a pulsing wurrrr.....at first i thought worn wheel bearing but since there is no grinding sound of any kind I think it is something else....any ideas
? I am starting to think tranny sound....but going down hill with engine off and out of gear still made the sound....or angle drive and/or speedo cable or rpm cable....please advise....thank you my brothers and sister....
gg
Mikey914
low trans fluid?
bdstone914
If the angle drive is worn it will be loose when you grab the part that attaches to tbe cable.
second wind
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 5 2021, 12:12 AM) *

low trans fluid?

I will check the tranny fluid but it makes the sound without the tranny being engaged. I will let you hear it at WCR....thank you for the thought.
gg
Superhawk996
Not sure what goal is. idea.gif

Simply going down hill with gears disengaged and engine off it still isn't going to be quiet - you'll still hear a variety of noises.

Tire tread noise
Transmission gear mesh -- there are several gears that are constatntly meshed even in neutral.
Transmission bearing noises.
Wheel Bearing noises
CV joint noises
Speedo cable noises
Wind noises
Squeeks/Rattles/Groans from suspension compliances

What is the problem your trying to solve?
second wind
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 6 2021, 05:44 AM) *

Not sure what goal is. idea.gif

Simply going down hill with gears disengaged and engine off it still isn't going to be quiet - you'll still hear a variety of noises.

Tire tread noise
Transmission gear mesh -- there are several gears that are constatntly meshed even in neutral.
Transmission bearing noises.
Wheel Bearing noises
CV joint noises
Speedo cable noises
Wind noises
Squeeks/Rattles/Groans from suspension compliances

What is the problem your trying to solve?

Thank you for your reply....I think the problem is my anxiety over what is making the sound? Given the list of sounds you just mentioned maybe the sound I am comcerned over is just how a 914 sounds? Car runs great and handles great but I am unsure of the source of the sound(s). I might be worrying over nothing. Thank you again.
gg
Superhawk996
piratenanner.gif Well that's easy then. Just drive and enjoy it.

If its just a subtle noise it likely is normal mechanical noise and not serious. These are 50 year old cars that were desgned and manufactured in a time where noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) wasn't much of concern. Not at all like modern vehicles with highly engineered accoustical treatments to minimize noise to a level that would have impossible to achieve in 1970.

When something serious breaks, it'll be obvious. laugh.gif Go driving.gif and know that you get to do what I can't do for at least another year.

type2man
The way to find out if a wheel bearing is bad is to coast in neutral at about 35 mph and then wiggle the steering wheel side to side. This causes the rear wheel bearing to have load and make more noise than normal. If the noise changes when you sway slowly from left to right the bearings are worn. Another way to check for worn rear bearings is to put the rear in the air and roll the rear wheels at 40 mph in 5th. Put your fingers on the rear coil spring. Both springs should feel smooth. If one feels rough, the bearing is bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.