Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel lines leaking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Next
Well, as some of you know I had three leaking injectors when I went to pull the car out of storage after a couple of months. Two sealed up after running the car a bit and one I had to change out for new injector. Of course I was elated that I had solved that problem BUT....as I returned from a test drive I saw gas leaking onto the driveway in another spot. Seems that now a fuel line is leaking. Appears to be a cloth line leaking just after exiting the firewall (near the doughnuts as seen in the pic below).
I believe that the are the lines that I should be changing out anyway? I'm fairly certain that most of thessee lines are original. Posting a couple of pics.

Looking now for recommendations.....change out for all stainless steel lines? Are stainless replacing those in the engine compartment as well as forward to the gas tank? Any diagrams showing the ones that I need to consider replacing?

Also what level of DIY is this. I'm fairly handy but not a mechanic. Can I do this myself? If so would I need a lift in order to do it?

Appreciate the input.

Steve

Click to view attachment

914Next
And here are the plastic lines in the engine compartment. Assume these need to be replaced also.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914werke
Not sure about original but the presence of standard worm drive clamps is an indication that someone has been there before ... they need to be replaced with the correct clamps at a minimum.
mepstein
Steve - I would order the kit from Tangerine Racing. The install is very easy without the engine in the car. I am told it is doable with the engine in. I would call Chris Foley and ask him for tips and suggestions. He knows his product and these cars. But I would get the stainless kit with fuel hose and clamps no matter what.

I have seen 914’s, 911’s and a VW beetle, burnt to the ground, because of fuel leaks. It isn’t pretty and it’s easy to mitigate.

You will have to drain the tank and remove it to hook up the fuel hose from the tunnel to the tank. It’s not hard, just time consuming but it does give you a chance to clean and inspect that area.

If you have a friend with a lift, it makes everything easier. If you pay a mechanic to do it, it’s still money well spent - in my opinion.
914Next
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 5 2021, 02:10 PM) *

Steve - I would order the kit from Tangerine Racing. The install is very easy without the engine in the car. I am told it is doable with the engine in. I would call Chris Foley and ask him for tips and suggestions. He knows his product and these cars. But I would get the stainless kit with fuel hose and clamps no matter what.

I have seen 914’s, 911’s and a VW beetle, burnt to the ground, because of fuel leaks. It isn’t pretty and it’s easy to mitigate.

You will have to drain the tank and remove it to hook up the fuel hose from the tunnel to the tank. It’s not hard, just time consuming but it does give you a chance to clean and inspect that area.

If you have a friend with a lift, it makes everything easier. If you pay a mechanic to do it, it’s still money well spent - in my opinion.

Thanks Mark. The problem is a bit more challenging since I recently moved the car to northern Wisconsin and I’m not sure there is any mechanic (that I would trust) with anymore expertise than myself in getting this done. I’d love to try to do it myself if I can. I’ll call Chris. Thanks.
mepstein
QUOTE(914Next @ Oct 5 2021, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 5 2021, 02:10 PM) *

Thanks Mark. The problem is a bit more challenging since I recently moved the car to northern Wisconsin and I’m not sure there is any mechanic (that I would trust) with anymore expertise than myself in getting this done. I’d love to try to do it myself if I can. I’ll call Chris. Thanks.

I did it on 3 of mine by myself, other than using a “spotter” in the cabin to make sure the tunnel line was going in the right spot. I don’t remove the front lid when I pull the tank. There is enough room to do it with the lid in place. If you aren’t in a rush, it’s just a couple small hand tools and step by step. My only suggestion is some hand soap on the stainless line to make it slip easily through the rubber grommets.
Root_Werks
agree.gif

Installed the Tangerine Racing lines recently. Easier than I thought it would be.
ndfrigi
@914next
Hi Steve, replacing the fuel lines to SS lines is not
that hard. The hardest part of the job is the removal of fuel
tank. You can do it by yourself but with a helper will be a lot easier and faster.

Looks like you only have one leak area which is shown on your picture from the lower engine tin (passenger side) it seems previous work done used not the proper clamp.
But for around $200 of parts and DIY for less than a half
way work, it will be more safer to get your car burn from leaking gas.
nditiz1
Ian Karr has a great vid on the install, check it out.
914Next
All,

Thanks for the great info and encouragement. I left a note for Chris Foley to take about what I'll need. Fuel pump was relocated to the fuel tank area.

Ok....need to remove the tank. I can handle that. Can I do this without a lift, guys? I don't have a lift and would love to do this on my own time so I can also do some cleaning along the way.

Steve
914Next
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Oct 5 2021, 05:02 PM) *

Will definitely do that. Where can I find the video?

Steve
rhodyguy
Very doable without a lift. Hopefully your tank isn't full of fuel. You'll be removing some interior items too. The center tunnel needs to be exposed. An extra set of hands helps. Patience too.
mepstein
QUOTE(914Next @ Oct 5 2021, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Oct 5 2021, 05:02 PM) *

Will definitely do that. Where can I find the video?

Steve

https://m.youtube.com/c/IanKarr
914Next
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 5 2021, 03:41 PM) *

@914next
Hi Steve, replacing the fuel lines to SS lines is not
that hard. The hardest part of the job is the removal of fuel
tank. You can do it by yourself but with a helper will be a lot easier and faster.

Looks like you only have one leak area which is shown on your picture from the lower engine tin (passenger side) it seems previous work done used not the proper clamp.
But for around $200 of parts and DIY for less than a half
way work, it will be more safer to get your car burn from leaking gas.

Thanks....You make it sound much easier than I'm sure it will be for me but I'm thinking I'm going to tackle it. Call into Chris Foley tomorrow....order the parts and then conscript my brother-in-law as Assistant to the clueless one.

Stay tuned.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.