Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad Oil temp sendor or gauge?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
R Dub
After I got the car running after almost 20 years the oil temp gauge never worked. Realized it wasn't plugged in but also that it was leaking oil so I bought one off of Auto Atlanta (#R039919268). After installing this, when I turn the key the gauge pegs at 300F and never moves. I know this is wrong cause the engine is cold and it still reads this.

So did I get the wrong sender? Are some wires just crossed? Is my gauge bad? Any insight is appreciated.
914werke
QUOTE(R Dub @ Oct 6 2021, 10:02 AM) *

After I got the car running after almost 20 years the oil temp gauge never worked. Realized it wasn't plugged in but also that it was leaking oil so I bought one off of Auto Atlanta (#R039919268). After installing this, when I turn the key the gauge pegs at 300F and never moves. I know this is wrong cause the engine is cold and it still reads this.
So did I get the wrong sender? Are some wires just crossed? Is my gauge bad? Any insight is appreciated.

So you already had a sending assembly installed on your motor, found it wasn't plugged in, so you bought a new one? blink.gif
The part # you list is for a reproduction of the OE "sender" (the electronic component). Did you determine the existing one didn't work?
Is your gauge in the console or in the dash?
R Dub
QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 6 2021, 12:53 PM) *

So you already had a sending assembly installed on your motor, found it wasn't plugged in, so you bought a new one? blink.gif
The part # you list is for a reproduction of the OE "sender" (the electronic component). Did you determine the existing one didn't work?
Is your gauge in the console or in the dash?

Bought a new one because it was leaking oil through it

The gauge is in the console. This is what it looks like.
IPB Image
914Sixer
Gauge and sender RARELY fail. Wire from bottom where the sender to the plug under the battery FAIL 95% of the time. Run jumper wire from plug to sender. See IF your gauge comes up. 911 gauge should work with 914 sender.
emerygt350
And that gauge... Wow. Not supposed to be there. Wow.
Krieger
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Oct 6 2021, 04:46 PM) *

Says the guy with the Chalon. lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif shades.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 6 2021, 11:49 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Oct 6 2021, 04:46 PM) *

Says the guy with the Chalon. lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Tdskip
Any update, did you get this sorted out?
NARP74
Had similar issues with mine. Turned out that the VDO dual sender was not grounded well, got that sorted for pressure and the dash light. The temp comes from the other sender and mine had a broken wire, got that sorted. But I have the same needle pegged as soon as I turn the key, even with the sender wire disconnected. I unplugged the V+ wire and it does not do that obviously, but I am thinking I must have a voltage short to ground or something. Might be the same with yours.
windforfun
I like the gauge. The size is sort of fun. I don't like the torn vinyl. My 2 cents.
windforfun
QUOTE(R Dub @ Oct 6 2021, 10:02 AM) *

Did you talk to George about this?
R Dub
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 10 2021, 08:33 AM) *

Any update, did you get this sorted out?

No not yet. Have a baby on the way so most of my free time is put towards getting things ready for when they arrive.

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Oct 10 2021, 12:51 PM) *

Had similar issues with mine. Turned out that the VDO dual sender was not grounded well, got that sorted for pressure and the dash light. The temp comes from the other sender and mine had a broken wire, got that sorted. But I have the same needle pegged as soon as I turn the key, even with the sender wire disconnected. I unplugged the V+ wire and it does not do that obviously, but I am thinking I must have a voltage short to ground or something. Might be the same with yours.

Sorry if I am being a total noob but there is a dual sender? I thought the one under the taco plate was for temp only? Am I wrong about this?

QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 10 2021, 05:26 PM) *

I like the gauge. The size is sort of fun. I don't like the torn vinyl. My 2 cents.

That was an old picture. I completely redid the interior so no longer torn!

QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 10 2021, 05:27 PM) *

Did you talk to George about this?

No I have not. Figured I would as the forum first but that is most definitely an option.
rhodyguy
Does the gauge have a 911 part #?
R Dub
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 11 2021, 10:37 AM) *

The only markings on the gauge that I can find are VDO MADE IN GERMANY and then a sticker that reads:
12V
310.274/75/2

I googled this and could not find any gauge that looked like mine

IPB Image
R Dub
Think I might have found my problem, wrong sender. Per McMark
"Sender
VDO senders use a 150*C/300*F standard peak temp and are therefore not interchangeable with stock senders. VDO senders operate in a range of 10 - 180 ohms. VDO makes a sender that is compatible with the stock mounting plate, part number: 323-055D." If I'm reading this correctly since I have a VDO gauge the stock replacement sensor won't work. Also the one that came out of the car was short and the one I got was long. After doing a Google search 323-055D is also short so another thing to point me in that direction.
Robarabian
I would second that you have a ground issue. But I trust McMark too, so.. I just battled gauge issues as well. Whatever you think is a ground needs to be tested with a volt meter. I had something plugged into what we believed was a good ground, but nothing worked. Then I grounded to the chassis and it all came back to life.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(R Dub @ Oct 11 2021, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 11 2021, 10:37 AM) *

The only markings on the gauge that I can find are VDO MADE IN GERMANY and then a sticker that reads:
12V
310.274/75/2

I googled this and could not find any gauge that looked like mine

IPB Image

Look in the front of the gauge. If you tip it the right way, you can see a part number on the gauge face.

Then just order a sender to match the gauge.

FYI.. I have the same issue. My oil pressure gauge pegs out from vibration. It is internal to the gauge. I still need to pull it apart and see what is wrong.

Clay
rhodyguy
Tiny #s at the top of the face of the gauge. This one is 911 6416 103 03.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.