Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie first time posting to 914 World
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Magicscott1
Hello everyone,

This is Lynn but my friends call me Magic. I finally got myself a 914! The pics might look familiar as this was one of the 914s that Magnus Walker owned and then later gave to Tamir his film producer for Urban Outlaw. I purchased the car from Jarod in Ontario Canada on BAT a few months back. Took a while to import and transport to my home in Gambrills, MD.

What's my plan: Like other porsches that I've picked up used, need to sort this thing out and put my touches on it to make it my car. First order is to get the mechnicals right and sort some stuff.

Spent my first day trying to start the car with a weak battery. Recharged the battery over night. No start condition led me to check fuel, air and spark.
In the end pulled the spark plugs and found they were fouled with carbon.
Four new spark plugs and the car started up albet with a high idle around 1800--2000 rpms. Might need a tune-up and replace accelerator cable after lubing everything.

Still sorting things likes adjusting headlights, right door won't open with exterior handle and a few other little things. I'll change all fluids to get to baseline.

I'm hands on so this will be fun sorting over the new few months and into the winter months.

If anybody lives near Gambrills/Annapolis area--let's meet up to talk 914!

I'm looking forward to sharing on the site and learning all about the 914. Still working on posting pics--lol!

Cheers,
Magic

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
iankarr
welcome.png
And welcome to the addiction...though it sounds like you may have been addicted for a while wink.gif.

This is an amazing community that's super willing to help, so ask anything. You'll also find that searching the site for topics is easier if you just use google and preface everything with 914world.

I've made a bunch of videos about working on 914s. There's a link to my youtube channel in my signature below. You might want to start with the "914s for newbies" series.

Again, welcome!

Ian
infraredcalvin
Nice car, I like the way that scheme turned out, car looks good, now to get it running as good as it looks!

And of course…
welcome.png
RiqueMar
Looking good!

welcome.png
BuddyV
Weird thinking of a 914 with "Provenance" (is that how you spell it??)..... these little gems are finally getting some Love in the car world.

Welcome to the World!

beerchug.gif
nditiz1

Right on, another MDer. I actually bought the 60 beetle in my pic from a guy named Warren that lived in Gambrills over 15 yrs ago.

welcome.png
mgp4591
Nice score with a good story behind it...nice wheels too! And another MDr is a good thing I believe...I still get back to Frederick every year or so as I will this next summer. Meanwhile, get the new ride settled in with your style and drive some of those roads that are so much fun!
welcome.png
PanelBilly
Welcome to the world. I recall a little bit about the car, but it didn't stick. What engine is in it?
GBX0073
From One Newbie to Another Welcome !
Congrats on your 914 I kept an eye on that auction glad you Won it
To get you enjoying your car before winter breaks
I recommend the following
Order a 123 ignition
Visit The Tangerine racing website you cant go wrong with anything Chris has to offer .
And if you have not already Like and Subscribe to https://www.youtube.com/iankarr

Enjoy !!!
campbellcj
Congrats and welcome.png Definitely looks like you've got a nice starting point there and a lot of fun ahead!
aharder
welcome.png Nice looking Car!! You have joined the best group for your car.
Good luck and enjoy the fun !!!
falcor75
The high idle should settle down as the car warms up, if not you have vacuum leak somewhere. Lots of good info on vacuum lines etc if you do a search on here.
Welcome and congrats to a nice looking car.
BeatNavy
Welcome to the fun. I'm over da' bridge from you -- close, but worlds away. Lived in NoVA for many years and now I only go back across the bridge for good cause. 914's are a good cause.

(I'll also cross the bridge for the Annapolis boat show today, but otherwise i avoid it smile.gif ).

We have at least a couple of active members not too far away in Bowie (big SjHenry) and in Towson (MDTerp). And Nick is of course way up in Monty county. All good guys who know 914's.

beer.gif
flipb
Congratulations on the acquisition, from across the river. That's a great-looking 914, I was watching it on BAT.
Shivers
Congratulations
emerygt350
Congrats and welcome!
As mentioned above, that high idle may just be the aux air circuit (a silly way to fast idle as the engine warms). I never liked how high it went (1800-1900) so I put a manual valve on mine and tuned it down to about 1200. Others sometimes put static restrictions on it. If the idle never comes down try plugging the aux air line from the air cleaner, if it is still high then you know you have something else going on. If it drops then the aux air valve might need some attention.
Cairo94507
welcome.png Yup - this is the best place to be when you own a 914. There isn't a thing you may need that you can't find here for your car. Congratulations. beerchug.gif
TomE
Not a newbie to 914's but a newbie to 914World also. Lots of very good Porsche people on here. Great bargains and technical information!
Mikey914
welcome.png
jaredmcginness
So happy you won this auction. I am right up the street in Catonsville and am eager to see this in person soon!

Jared
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 6 2021, 08:31 PM) *

welcome.png
And welcome to the addiction...though it sounds like you may have been addicted for a while wink.gif.

This is an amazing community that's super willing to help, so ask anything. You'll also find that searching the site for topics is easier if you just use google and preface everything with 914world.

I've made a bunch of videos about working on 914s. There's a link to my youtube channel in my signature below. You might want to start with the "914s for newbies" series.

Again, welcome!

Ian

Didn’t realize that. The site’s search function has frustrated me since joining earlier this year. Thanks for sharing that nugget.
Rick986
From a fellow newbie, congrats and welcome! As has been stated, this is an amazing community of like-minded folks, always willing to help! I also suggest subscribing to Ian's channel and of course, follow Dr. 914's posts from Auto Atlanta.

As for the high idle issue, it's probably a vacuum problem...or AAR valve...or idle adjustment on throttle body....or.......????? I've learned that you night want to forget about your other hobbies while trying to "sort out" your 914. But it's a blast! Just love driving this car.

Cheers!
Tdskip
Welcome!
Tdskip
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Oct 7 2021, 10:07 AM) *

welcome.png

Again, welcome!

Ian

Didn’t realize that. The site’s search function has frustrated me since joining earlier this year. Thanks for sharing that nugget.

I found the best way to search the site is to simply use Google and enter 914World.com and then put whatever you’re looking for following that, fast, gets a lot of highly accurate results, and make short work of tapping into the amazing knowledge here

76-914
welcome.png
Magicscott1

welcome.png

Again, welcome!

Ian

Hey thanks and roger that on using google search! I think that's how found 914 World--lol! Magic
Magicscott1
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 6 2021, 09:23 PM) *

Welcome to the world. I recall a little bit about the car, but it didn't stick. What engine is in it?

Hey, thanks for the welcome. She has the 2.4 Fat Performance.

Magic
Magicscott1

welcome.png

Again, welcome!

Ian

Thanks Ian! Love the money shot in your video. Wish I had seen this about 2-3 months ago--big swallow! Oh well (or oh hell hole), so far so good but not perfect.

Magic
Magicscott1
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 7 2021, 05:28 AM) *

Welcome to the fun. I'm over da' bridge from you -- close, but worlds away. Lived in NoVA for many years and now I only go back across the bridge for good cause. 914's are a good cause.

(I'll also cross the bridge for the Annapolis boat show today, but otherwise i avoid it smile.gif ).

We have at least a couple of active members not too far away in Bowie (big SjHenry) and in Towson (MDTerp). And Nick is of course way up in Monty county. All good guys who know 914's.

beer.gif

Thanks and Go Air Force! Good know we have 914ers close by. Need to do a meet up before the snow flies and salt gets flung everywhere--lol. Oh yeah, what mechanic is everyone using in MD or is it DIY?

Magic
Magicscott1
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Oct 6 2021, 08:48 PM) *

Right on, another MDer. I actually bought the 60 beetle in my pic from a guy named Warren that lived in Gambrills over 15 yrs ago.

welcome.png
Thanks much! I had a beetle for a spell and blew it up on the autobahn during one summer during my college days--she was knocking so hard!

Magic
Magicscott1
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 6 2021, 09:23 PM) *

Thanks much. It's a 2.4 Fat Performance.

Magic
Magicscott1
QUOTE(GBX0073 @ Oct 6 2021, 09:34 PM) *

From One Newbie to Another Welcome !
Congrats on your 914 I kept an eye on that auction glad you Won it
To get you enjoying your car before winter breaks
I recommend the following
Order a 123 ignition
Visit The Tangerine racing website you cant go wrong with anything Chris has to offer .
And if you have not already Like and Subscribe to https://www.youtube.com/iankarr

Enjoy !!!

Thanks much! Fun auction at my expense--lol! I subscribe to Ian and I'll check out the other mentions...

Magic
tvdinnerbythepool
Very cool! welcome.png
SO.O.C914er
welcome.png welcome to the mid-engine madness! Enjoy the ride driving.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Magicscott1 @ Oct 7 2021, 06:46 PM) *

Oh yeah, what mechanic is everyone using in MD or is it DIY?

Magic

Magic, I'm strictly a DIY'er (except for my current engine build), but I think there are a couple of shops in the Baltimore area. Jared (who I forgot to mention as a local guy, sorry Jared), may have a recommendation.

Are you talking about general maintenance, body work, mechanical, all the above? There is a resto shop near me that's pretty good. Like all of them, they make their money on the other P-cars like 911's and 356's and may handle a 914 every now and then. Normally hasn't been enough money in 914's for a shop to focus on them. With prices going up on cars, maybe there will be.
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

Drive it!
Racer
Welcome!

Door handle is likely the nylon cam lock that fails. Easy fix. part not spendy. Sure AutoAtlanta sells them.. maybe others.

Chesapeake PCA has an Autocross this weekend (Oct 16th). Sign up closes soon. Do it.. You'd be "modified" class with the 2.4 and other mods.. They hold their events down the road at Bowie Baysox stadium (50+301 interchange)

Potomac PCA also has 1 more autocross this year on Oct 30. They hold their events out at Summit Point in West Virginia (a bit of a haul from Gambrills, but doable).

Both can be found on www.Motorsportsreg.com

Looks like a fun car.. Hope to see it around!
Magicscott1
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Oct 7 2021, 06:49 AM) *

Congrats and welcome!
As mentioned above, that high idle may just be the aux air circuit (a silly way to fast idle as the engine warms). I never liked how high it went (1800-1900) so I put a manual valve on mine and tuned it down to about 1200. Others sometimes put static restrictions on it. If the idle never comes down try plugging the aux air line from the air cleaner, if it is still high then you know you have something else going on. If it drops then the aux air valve might need some attention.

Update: I finally hooked up a timing light and engine analyzer with RPM and my idle is around 950 to 1000 rpm. My tach is bouncy and reads about 1000 rpm high. This car has the Fat Performance 2.4 engine with MSD Ignition and Tach Adapt from MSD and so I think I just need to have my tach rebuilt with proper mechanicals to read right. Does this check with what you know.

Thanks,

Magic
Magicscott1
QUOTE(Racer @ Oct 12 2021, 12:31 PM) *

Welcome!

Door handle is likely the nylon cam lock that fails. Easy fix. part not spendy. Sure AutoAtlanta sells them.. maybe others.

Chesapeake PCA has an Autocross this weekend (Oct 16th). Sign up closes soon. Do it.. You'd be "modified" class with the 2.4 and other mods.. They hold their events down the road at Bowie Baysox stadium (50+301 interchange)

Potomac PCA also has 1 more autocross this year on Oct 30. They hold their events out at Summit Point in West Virginia (a bit of a haul from Gambrills, but doable).

Both can be found on www.Motorsportsreg.com

Looks like a fun car.. Hope to see it around!

Update: Thanks for the info. Still sorting the car and Autocross may have to wait until I get this machine to my liking--lol. Shucks--I'm still learning to shift this thing. It's not like the 993 or any other shifter I've used before.
BTW, I ordered the door cam from AutoAtl and pulled the door a part for a good cleaning--man the mechanism was all gummed up. Refreshed with WD and lithium grease and works nicely with the new cam. Will do the same for the drivers door before if fails. If you're close by, I'm looking for someone that can help me do a complete tune up on this thing.

Thanks much.

Magic
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(Magicscott1 @ Oct 6 2021, 07:21 PM) *

Hello everyone,

This is Lynn but my friends call me Magic. I finally got myself a 914! The pics might look familiar as this was one of the 914s that Magnus Walker owned and then later gave to Tamir his film producer for Urban Outlaw. I purchased the car from Jarod in Ontario Canada on BAT a few months back. Took a while to import and transport to my home in Gambrills, MD.

What's my plan: Like other porsches that I've picked up used, need to sort this thing out and put my touches on it to make it my car. First order is to get the mechnicals right and sort some stuff.

Spent my first day trying to start the car with a weak battery. Recharged the battery over night. No start condition led me to check fuel, air and spark.
In the end pulled the spark plugs and found they were fouled with carbon.
Four new spark plugs and the car started up albet with a high idle around 1800--2000 rpms. Might need a tune-up and replace accelerator cable after lubing everything.

Still sorting things likes adjusting headlights, right door won't open with exterior handle and a few other little things. I'll change all fluids to get to baseline.

I'm hands on so this will be fun sorting over the new few months and into the winter months.

If anybody lives near Gambrills/Annapolis area--let's meet up to talk 914!

I'm looking forward to sharing on the site and learning all about the 914. Still working on posting pics--lol!

Cheers,
Magic

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

welcome.png
Puebloswatcop
welcome.png
Magicscott1
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Oct 7 2021, 09:07 AM) *

welcome.png

Again, welcome!

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I used your video to do my first oil change and gear oil change this past Saturday--BIG thanks to you for the instructions. Funny thing is--I removed the oil strainer and there was no strainer in there. Just the nut, a crush washer, the cap, and one gasket. The cap was relatively clean with no sludge. I scraped the old gasket off, cleaned everything up and replaced everything with a new crush washer and gasket then torqued to 9.5 lbs.

Do you know if the Fat Performance 2.4 engines use different tune up settings for points/dwell, timing, spark plug gap etc. ? Looking for numbers here.

Thank much,

Magic
Magicscott1
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Oct 27 2021, 07:08 PM) *

welcome.png

Thanks much!

Magic
Magicscott1
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Oct 6 2021, 08:47 PM) *

Weird thinking of a 914 with "Provenance" (is that how you spell it??)..... these little gems are finally getting some Love in the car world.

Welcome to the World!

beerchug.gif

Too funny! This is a great experience--great car! I just wanted a 914 with excellent power, suspension, handling, and brakes to match. That's what drew me to the car. Sure my paint isn't perfect and there is minor surface rust that I can deal with in time. The 914-6 was way out of my ballpark--that's 911 money these days! Loving the 914 world and everybody has been welcoming.

Thanks much,

Magic
Magicscott1
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 8 2021, 05:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Magicscott1 @ Oct 7 2021, 06:46 PM) *

Oh yeah, what mechanic is everyone using in MD or is it DIY?

Magic

Magic, I'm strictly a DIY'er (except for my current engine build), but I think there are a couple of shops in the Baltimore area. Jared (who I forgot to mention as a local guy, sorry Jared), may have a recommendation.

Are you talking about general maintenance, body work, mechanical, all the above? There is a resto shop near me that's pretty good. Like all of them, they make their money on the other P-cars like 911's and 356's and may handle a 914 every now and then. Normally hasn't been enough money in 914's for a shop to focus on them. With prices going up on cars, maybe there will be.

I'm a DIY'er too when I can figure it out. Right now I'm sorting this thing out and wanting to do a complete tune up and trying to understand if the tune up specs are the same for this 2.4 ltr as it is for a 2.0 which this engine is built from. It's running weber carbs and MSD with tach adapter just to name a few bits. Any thoughts on tuning numbers such as setting points/dwell, timing (static and running at 2700-3200 rpms, spark plug gap. Also wondering if I should switch to electronic ignition and ditch the points? What are my options? I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Cheers--Beat Navy Beat Army--Go Air Force!
Magic
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.