Steering wheel number is
914 347 805 11
Is it for a 4 or 6
Thanks
mepstein
Mid year leather 914-4
sixaddict
Thanks
Thought I could restore for my 70 but want to stay original.
Would it even work.
T
914Sixer
PET shows it for the -6. We all know the PET is NOT always right. However a picture of the back would tell all.
mepstein
Yes, it's also the one year only 1972 914-6. But that car used a VW steering column with the key on the column and not on the left side dash face.
You can use that wheel but a better wheel would be any that model number ends in "10" not "11". Then you have the proper "flat" hub for a 70-71 four or six. Unlike the 72-76 VW column cars, the early cars used a Porsche column.
ClayPerrine
All of the Porsche steering wheels will fit on a 914, including 911, 944, 928, etc...

They are all splined the same. You can use that wheel, and the only way you can tell the difference would be to take the horn hub off and look at it.

Clay
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 7 2021, 12:00 PM) *

All of the Porsche steering wheels will fit on a 914, including 911, 944, 928, etc...

They are all splined the same. You can use that wheel, and the only way you can tell the difference would be to take the horn hub off and look at it.

Clay

All the splines are the same but the chamfer on the shaft of a vw column is meant to fit a vw Huber wheel and Porsche to Porsche. So while it works, it’s not what the Porsche engineers intended for a good reason. The fit is not optimal.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2021, 01:41 PM) *

Clay

All the splines are the same but the chamfer on the shaft of a vw column is meant to fit a vw Huber wheel and Porsche to Porsche. So while it works, it’s not what the Porsche engineers intended for a good reason. The fit is not optimal.

Where did you get this information? I have never heard of this, and I talked with Ed Mayo about it.

Clay
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 7 2021, 03:21 PM) *

Clay

Where did you get this information? I have never heard of this, and I talked with Ed Mayo about it.

Clay

Yea, Ed has made some incorrect statements about steering wheels. Just look at it yourself. I believe Betty's car is later so you can remove the steering wheel and see the difference for yourself.

The 10 & 11 on the end of the part number make it easy to tell whether its Porsche or VW.

The 1973 RS used a 914-6 wheel and not a '73 914 wheel because the six wheel has the proper Porsche hub.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2021, 03:51 PM) *

Clay

Clay

Yea, Ed has made some incorrect statements about steering wheels. Just look at it yourself. I believe Betty's car is later so you can remove the steering wheel and see the difference for yourself.

The 10 & 11 on the end of the part number make it easy to tell whether its Porsche or VW.

The 1973 RS used a 914-6 wheel and not a '73 914 wheel because the six wheel has the proper Porsche hub.

Do you have some documentation from Porsche that shows this? I am not saying you are wrong, I just want to see some proof.

Clay
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 7 2021, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2021, 03:51 PM) *

Clay

Clay

Do you have some documentation from Porsche that shows this? I am not saying you are wrong, I just want to see some proof.

Clay

I’ve already proved it to myself. I’m just giving you sure me info. Believe it or not.
sixaddict
Here is picture of the back side.
Hope this helps debate
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

quote name='mepstein' date='Oct 7 2021, 03:04 PM' post='2951066']
[quote name='ClayPerrine' post='2951036' date='Oct 7 2021, 05:22 PM']
[quote name='mepstein' post='2951033' date='Oct 7 2021, 03:51 PM']
[quote name='ClayPerrine' post='2951023' date='Oct 7 2021, 03:21 PM']
[quote name='mepstein' post='2951010' date='Oct 7 2021, 01:41 PM']
[quote name='ClayPerrine' post='2950954' date='Oct 7 2021, 12:00 PM']

Clay
[/quote]
[/quote]

Clay
[/quote]

[/quote]

Clay
[/quote]
I’ve already proved it to myself. I’m just giving you sure me info. Believe it or not.
[/quote]
sixaddict
Oops
Click to view attachmentWrong picture

quote name='sixaddict' date='Oct 8 2021, 10:45 AM' post='2951244']
Here is picture of the back side.
Hope this helps debate
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

quote name='mepstein' date='Oct 7 2021, 03:04 PM' post='2951066']
[quote name='ClayPerrine' post='2951036' date='Oct 7 2021, 05:22 PM']
[quote name='mepstein' post='2951033' date='Oct 7 2021, 03:51 PM']
[quote name='ClayPerrine' post='2951023' date='Oct 7 2021, 03:21 PM']
[quote name='mepstein' post='2951010' date='Oct 7 2021, 01:41 PM']
[quote name='ClayPerrine' post='2950954' date='Oct 7 2021, 12:00 PM']

Clay
[/quote]
[/quote]

Clay
[/quote]

[/quote]

Clay
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
mepstein
The back of the alloy wheel, under the plastic hub, has a chamfer. An early wheel has a 90 degree edge that fits the right angle of the steerer shaft.
Early hubs are flat on the front where mid and later 914 wheels have a bevel on the front, like the one shown above. It makes them easy to identify other than the model number.
sixaddict
Thanks Mark

quote name='mepstein' date='Oct 8 2021, 11:21 AM' post='2951251']
The back of the alloy wheel, under the plastic hub, has a chamfer. An early wheel has a 90 degree edge that fits the right angle of the steerer shaft.
Early hubs are flat on the front where mid and later 914 wheels have a bevel on the front, like the one shown above. It makes them easy to identify other than the model number.
[/quote]
mepstein
The early wheels - both 4 and 6 - have the two little threaded holes for the six turn signal cancel ring. All the wheels that end in 11 do not have the threaded holes. Easy to drill and tap if you want a late wheel on an early car but just an FYI.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.