Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Shocks/Spring to "Break In"...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick986
Had the shop put new 85lb springs and Bilsteins on the car and it's definitely riding high. Tech set the snap ring in the same spot as old shocks and suggests I should let the new eqpt. "settle in" before thinking about adjusting. Is he right...or should they be adjusted?

Seems like if the new gear is "settling", it's wearing down. And if he's right, how much time is needed?

Of course, it's not a big deal...but I'm just trying to have the car look/handle as stock. Rides a bit stiff now but a definite difference in handling. I freaking love driving this car....

Thanks!
mepstein
I have found shocks to get a bit smoother and the car settle a bit in the first couple hundred miles. Not settle inches but you do have to drive it a bit. Actually, anytime it's up on a lift, it will need at least a quick drive around the block to settle in.

Your car might have been adjusted to the sagging springs so the exact same adjustment may not suit the new springs.

And the new springs might not be the same height as factory, even if they are the same spring weight.
914_teener
I'd assume you are referring to the rear springs and I'll assume that your shop decided on 85 lbs as the spring rate.

I used to run 140 lbs for the spring rate on my rears with Billy's on adjustable perches.

Stock as IIRC is about 100.

So spring rate is the amout of weight to compress the Spring 1 inch. I wondering how you like the handling or does the ride height bother you?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2021, 11:49 AM) *

I have found shocks to get a bit smoother and the car settle a bit in the first couple hundred miles. Not settle inches but you do have to drive it a bit. Actually, anytime it's up on a lift, it will need at least a quick drive around the block to settle in.

Your car might have been adjusted to the sagging springs so the exact same adjustment may not suit the new springs.

And the new springs might not be the same height as factory, even if they are the same spring weight.

agree.gif

All of this.
How much have you driven the car since the work was done?
Zach
Rick986
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 7 2021, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2021, 11:49 AM) *

agree.gif

All of this.
How much have you driven the car since the work was done?
Zach

Zach - not more than 75 miles

And the ride/handling is much crisper...albeit a little rough (to be expected). The height is what's bothering me now. But again, not really a big deal.

The 85lb. springs were spec'd by Auto Atlanta
Mikey914
85 is actually on the low end. The factory de-tuned the suspension. We set up and made the 100 as the street version and have sold about 100 sets so far. The response is that it feels better.

The 85 should not be a problem. I suspect the problem is in the shock (I'm assuming that AA made their springs to the factory length).
It should not be higher. It may sort itself out. Put some mileage on it.
Chris914n6
gas-pressure shocks have a small spring effect which will raise the car a little. It should settle a little, but if your talking an inch then it will need lowered.
rhodyguy
Proper alignment and corner balance?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 7 2021, 12:42 PM) *

The factory de-tuned the suspension.

av-943.gif

Have to laugh (not at you) but this generalized mythology that I see all over the place regardless of whether its a GM, a Ferrari, or a 50 year old Porsche 914 being referred to.

I'm sure they tuned it to what they felt was important to a 1970's customer, relative the the sports car standards of the day, and within the cost, and weight targets they had to live within.

By what metric is it condidered to be detuned?

Ride:
primary or secondary ride?
Road noise transmissability?

Handling:
Roll gradient?
Transient cornering response?
Steady state cornering?
Front lateral compliance vs. rear?
Tire Grip vs. transient corner loading?

Don't forget that tires of the day (155's on 4.5" rim if I recall for /4) didn't have nearly the grip modern tires do and were easily overwhelmed by suspensions that were to "stiff" for them.

Again, want to reaffirm I'm not making a personal attack.

Just want to make sure we give credit to the tuning they did back in the day and not act like Porsche engineers had no idea of what they were doing with this unique little car that we all love!

To answer OP's question. When cars are set up for media fleets, nothing goes out before it has at least a couple hundred miles on it to let bushings, springs, dampers, etc., get settled in. Ideally would do more but not always possible.
Rick986
Thanks for the education. Good stuff!

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 7 2021, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 7 2021, 12:42 PM) *

The factory de-tuned the suspension.

av-943.gif

Have to laugh (not at you) but this generalized mythology that I see all over the place regardless of whether its a GM, a Ferrari, or a 50 year old Porsche 914 being referred to.

I'm sure they tuned it to what they felt was important to a 1970's customer, relative the the sports car standards of the day, and within the cost, and weight targets they had to live within.

By what metric is it condidered to be detuned?

Ride:
primary or secondary ride?
Road noise transmissability?

Handling:
Roll gradient?
Transient cornering response?
Steady state cornering?
Front lateral compliance vs. rear?
Tire Grip vs. transient corner loading?

Don't forget that tires of the day (155's on 4.5" rim if I recall for /4) didn't have nearly the grip modern tires do and were easily overwhelmed by suspensions that were to "stiff" for them.

Again, want to reaffirm I'm not making a personal attack.

Just want to make sure we give credit to the tuning they did back in the day and not act like Porsche engineers had no idea of what they were doing with this unique little car that we all love!

To answer OP's question. When cars are set up for media fleets, nothing goes out before it has at least a couple hundred miles on it to let bushings, springs, dampers, etc., get settled in. Ideally would do more but not always possible.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.