Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Illuminated "D" Plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
I have always been a big fan of the Deutschland "D" country identification plates so I thought I would ressurect my illuminated "D" plate. Made a custom bracket that screws into the existing tow eye threaded hole, so no holes drilled into anything. Stole power from the left tailight- lights up when lights are on. I know some of you hate these things but I am very nostalgic for these plates from my Army years in Germany in the 1970s.

Ansbacher

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
NARP74
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Oct 7 2021, 11:20 AM) *

I have always been a big fan of the Deutschland "D" country identification plates so I thought I would ressurect my illuminated "D" plate. Made a custom bracket that screws into the existing tow eye threaded hole, so no holes drilled into anything. Stole power from the left tailight- lights up when lights are on. I know some of you hate these things but I am very nostalgic for these plates from my Army years in Germany in the 1970s.

Ansbacher

Whether you are a fan or not, it looks like nice work. Good job.
Rick986
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Oct 7 2021, 11:20 AM) *

Ansbacher

I like it. Nice job.

Question - what are those little dots around the VW badge? Did you use them to plug holes left from removal of the rear deflector? I'm thinking of pulling mine off and would rather not have to refinish if I could find "plugs" that look decent enough (as a temp fix!)
Cairo94507
beer.gif
whiterabbit
I think its cool!!! beer3.gif
Shivers
No new holes, nice going. Looks nice, thanks for your service.
Ansbacher
Rick986 - Yes, those are plugs in legacy holes from a rear reflector I removed when I got the car. I found the plugs at either Home Depot or Lowes. They fit perfectly and were the right color.

Ansbacher
windforfun
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
914xr75
Love it.
73-914
Looks GR8. Makes me wish I had kept my green license plate from then
Ansbacher
73-914 - Where were you stationed? I had one of those green plates on a Mercedes 220SE I purchased while in Nuremberg/Furth. Wish I had shipped it home. Sold it to a battalion cook for pennies just before I ETA'ed. Those were the days.....

Ansbacher
Ansbacher
Sorry, meant ETS'ed. Time drains the brain.

Ansbacher
TheCabinetmaker
Anything illuminated on the rear of the car that is white in color and not factory, will get you a ticket in Okla. My ex had a purple light that chased itself on her vettes tag. Got her a $150.00 ticket.
73-914
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Oct 7 2021, 08:35 PM) *

73-914 - Where were you stationed? I had one of those green plates on a Mercedes 220SE I purchased while in Nuremberg/Furth. Wish I had shipped it home. Sold it to a battalion cook for pennies just before I ETA'ed. Those were the days.....

Ansbacher

Schweinfurt + Coburg C trp 3/7 Cav. Mine was on a VW Thing LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.