Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Motors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
My drivers side headlight motor was cycling. Then it stopped cycling and now goes up but it stays up. Good problem to have, in certain situations but not this one.
I put in a new relay, didn't solve the problem.
Are the motors serviceable? i.e., can they be opened up, cleaned up and tested? Or should it just be replaced?
Chris H.
Could be but likely cheaper and easier to pick up a good used one. With the number of parted out cars over the years there are plenty of spares available.
StarBear
Just had a similar problem but went through three relays (all bad even one new one). Used the “substitute known good one for bad one to confirm bad relay not motor.
That said, would be interested in a motor repair option as I do have one of those.
orthobiz
I had an intermittently wonky headlight motor. Asked Brad Mayeur about it at 914LTD. He put a replacement use motor in the car, stating that they sometimes go bad and are not really serviceable.

We could probably use a headlight motor guru here, we have just about every other kind of expert! LOL

Paul
mepstein
There are still a lot of good ones from parts cars.
bkrantz
I opened a couple to try repairing them, but never succeeded. Lots of good used ones out there.
Mikey914
If it moves. The motor is good. Relays are on or off, so if it goes up its working.
I suspect that it's binding. Unscrew the armature 10mm nut and remove the arm. Then try the switch where the motor turns freely. I suspect it will turn. You can also turn
mmichalik
@mikey914 , I will give that a shot. If it doesn't work, I'll just look for a replacement.
Thanks to everyone who responded!
StarBear
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 8 2021, 07:08 PM) *

I had an intermittently wonky headlight motor. Asked Brad Mayeur about it at 914LTD. He put a replacement use motor in the car, stating that they sometimes go bad and are not really serviceable.

We could probably use a headlight motor guru here, we have just about every other kind of expert! LOL

Paul

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.