Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Lock Placement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914racer
I building a 914-6 tribute car and need to know the exact placement of the left hand ignition lock to help place the steering column. If anyone has an original 6 that could measure the distance from center of the ignition switch to the center of the nob on the left of the ignition or if they have a disassembled dash I would appreciate the info.
Thanks
mepstein
Restoration Design sells a really nice piece that has the insert already stamped out and a tab for perfect placement on the dash.
914racer
I talked to Restoration today and asked if they were able to tell me exactly where the switch would go but didn't volunteer that the their piece would align the lock.
Thanks for the info
mepstein
QUOTE(914racer @ Oct 8 2021, 08:12 PM) *

I talked to Restoration today and asked if they were able to tell me exactly where the switch would go but didn't volunteer that the their piece would align the lock.
Thanks for the info

When they first made them, Pete had told me the round button goes behind the fog light hole and positions the switch.
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 8 2021, 07:40 PM) *

QUOTE(914racer @ Oct 8 2021, 08:12 PM) *

Thanks for the info

When they first made them, Pete had told me the round button goes behind the fog light hole and positions the switch.

Yes, I saw a site this week (can't find it now, been looking at alot of stuff), and the idea seemed really good. They showed cutting out the section from their piece that will actually hold the 911 type switch in a diamond shape just around the edge of the part that's going to hold the switch. Then you place the piece with the indent onto the dash, the dimple will line it up, mark the cutout where you just removed the holding area, then cut the dash where you marked it. You'll have a diamond shaped cutout that perfectly matches the cutout that'll hold the switch in the correct position. Insert the piece into the dash and weld and smooth. I can't remember if this was on Restoration Design linked site, youtube, somewhere here, or maybe Pelican, but it's out there somewhere.

Dan
lesorubcheek
I've searched until I have a deep hatred for google's usefulness, and still can't find the page I saw earlier. Anyway I cut the pic to show the idea. Pictures are almost always better than words. Hopefully this makes sense, and hopefully your search engine is more productive than the luck I'm having right now.

Click to view attachment

Dan
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 8 2021, 10:16 PM) *

Thank you Mark. That's it. After seeing this post, it made perfect sense. I swear I couldn't find this to save my life. headbang.gif Your search skills far exceed mine.
Oh and also I see now it's not exactly a diamond. Well, the idea stuck anyway, but devil is always in the details.

Dan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.