Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer wire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
The speedo worked when last parked, but now nothing works, and found a green/white wire in that area unhooked.

All the rest of my gauges are working correctly. So my assumption would be, it would plug in there somewhere, but not sure where.

It's marked signal on the top, and + - on the bottom. Looks like a couple more places on the bottom to hook, and one more on the top to plug in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mlindner
Don't understand. Speedo's are driven by cable from trans. Mark
partwerks
QUOTE(mlindner @ Oct 9 2021, 04:27 AM) *

No cables associated with an electronic one.
Rob-O
QUOTE(partwerks @ Oct 9 2021, 06:40 AM) *

QUOTE(mlindner @ Oct 9 2021, 04:27 AM) *

No cables associated with an electronic one.

And electronic ones were never installed on 914’s from the factory. Which makes your setup custom and unique to your vehicle. That may be why there are a lack of responses here.
Chris914n6
Aftermarket gauge. You will need to look for a wiring diagram specific to it.

Looks like your speed is the 2 grey wires marked 'sig'

w/g wire iirc is high beam.

You are also missing 'ground' to the gauge.
partwerks
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 9 2021, 08:56 AM) *

So, I need two wires hooked up, maybe three?

How do I find the wiring diagram for it?
partwerks
QUOTE(partwerks @ Oct 9 2021, 04:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 9 2021, 08:56 AM) *

So, I need two wires hooked up, maybe three?

How do I find the wiring diagram for it?

I would presume the information on the side is what I need to try and find a diagram for it?

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
Connecting a ground wire 'brown' should make the gauge work.

Being aftermarket probably doesn't have the high beam lite the factory gauge does.

Assuming it's VDO. Is it VSS or GPS signal?
partwerks
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 9 2021, 07:16 PM) *

Connecting a ground wire 'brown' should make the gauge work.

Being aftermarket probably doesn't have the high beam lite the factory gauge does.

Assuming it's VDO. Is it VSS or GPS signal?

Actually was working when I took it in for reworking the previous mechanics problems, and some upgrades. He probably mistakenly removed something. Took a box of old previous owners wiring the size of a 12" square cube.

If I had to guess, I would say VSS. Seems like there was some gadget to convert the signal?

The high beam works, but doesn't go hand in hand with this one.
ClayPerrine
Actually, the white with a green stripe wire is the park light indicator. It comes on when your park lights are on but the headlights are not. The factory speedo had a green light for that. The high beam indicator is blue and in the tach.

Clay
partwerks
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 9 2021, 07:51 PM) *

Actually, the white with a green stripe wire is the park light indicator. It comes on when your park lights are on but the headlights are not. The factory speedo had a green light for that. The high beam indicator is blue and in the tach.

Clay

At least the speedo and tach have been converted. I know when things were working, all the lights in the gauges worked, so he must have either got too wire pulling crazy, or something left undone. Thing is, I don't know if that green wire is used on the new system, or no?

I had a gentleman on the club here change the guts to the tach so I would work with the Boxster trans. No more cable on it either.
Chris914n6
Well the blue conn with the 3 brown wires is wrong, the factory harness was a string (2 wires per conn) so there is likely your missing gauge ground 'fixed' by the guy.

Box trans has a VSS so that all makes sense.

Ignore the w/g park lite wire -- don't need it.
partwerks
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 9 2021, 10:08 PM) *

Well the blue conn with the 3 brown wires is wrong, the factory harness was a string (2 wires per conn) so there is likely your missing gauge ground 'fixed' by the guy.

Box trans has a VSS so that all makes sense.

Ignore the w/g park lite wire -- don't need it.

So I would need to maybe pull the plug on one of the brown wires, and place it somewhere else, or just unplug one, or none of the above?

How/where can I find the wiring diagram for it?
windforfun
Where's the ground (brown wire) spade connector for the negative "-" terminal?
partwerks
QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 11 2021, 12:18 PM) *

Where's the ground (brown wire) spade connector for the negative "-" terminal?

I looked to try and see it, but only see the green and white wire.
Ultimately, I plan on taking it back for him to see what he did.
He took a bunch of wiring out from previous owners over the years. So I don't know what he all did, but was working when I took it in.

Getting two different answers on the green and white wire?
I would think I need it, as it was just hanging in there, like it should have a place i there somewhere, but I don't just want to plug it in, if I don't know what I'm doing.

914e
I'm not sure if this is the exact model.
Click to view attachment

I would look for a sensor on the the transmission and compare the wire colors.
partwerks
If I pull the headlights on, the background lights all come on, but none come on with just the parking light position?
euro911
I'd start by measuring voltage on the green/white wire that's disconnected from the gauge when you turn the ignition switch on.

If it's reading +12 volts, I'm guessing that it connects to the + terminal (#4) on the gauge, since there doesn't appear to be power being applied to the gauge.

confused24.gif
BIGKAT_83
The Boxster S transaxle does not have a VSS signal. It uses the ABS wheel sensors to drive the speedometer. On my car I used a pulse ring on the CV joint for my speedometer.
Click to view attachment
partwerks
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 12 2021, 05:07 AM) *

The Boxster S transaxle does not have a VSS signal. It uses the ABS wheel sensors to drive the speedometer. On my car I used a pulse ring on the CV joint for my speedometer.
Click to view attachment

Does the 5 speed Boxster use that system also?
I had a sensor by the flange, but may don't work with this trans??
partwerks
[quote name='partwerks' date='Oct 12 2021, 05:40 PM' post='2952065']
[quote name='BIGKAT_83' post='2951929' date='Oct 12 2021, 05:07 AM']
Click to view attachment
[/quote]

The sensor from the Boxster 5 speed was installed on the 6 speed.
Is this correct?

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.