Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FAIL : door stay rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Medtner3
Edit: So I had the issue seemed to be what to do with the oversize pin, and as no one responded here, called 914Rubber and told the size was 1/4"had to drill . The drill angle is virtually impossible. The driver's side was a fail and the new pin is tighter but only a slight improvement .

The passenger side went better because I used a 15/64" drill bit instead of 1/4" and only used 1/4"to drill out the stay arm Then I used the 15/64'' to wallow out slightly the bracket and then just enough to where to pin would not quite squeeze through..Then giant sized pliers to press the pin through. Success because the pin is perfectly tight! but a fail because the large pin in the door stay that the springs attach to or the parts of the stay itself are worn and pops loudly when using.

so, I will likely need new door stay parts for the passenger side and the driver's side perhaps another oversized pin or just live with it since it is just a minor noise.

Original Post.
Got the rebuild kit from 914rubber and the rebuilt door stays look amazing.

But the door stay pin is an issue. The door stay arm from 914Rubber has the original size hole and they sent an oversized pin. My door still pops so I can assume I need to use the new pin....

So, what to do next need advice... do I drill out the door stay arms and attachment piece that is on the door jam to match the size of the new pin?

Or just pound it into place?

Also do I need a hole in the door stay pin for the tiny cotter pin or is that unnecessary?
914Sixer
Mark said he was going to put stock pin size in kits. I have one coming, see what turns up. No cotter pin necessary.
Medtner3
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 10 2021, 08:27 PM) *

Mark said he was going to put stock pin size in kits. I have one coming, see what turns up. No cotter pin necessary.

mine's loose I guess you're supposed to drill out the bracket and arm just enough for it to fit tightly? I will call Mark tomorrow
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.