Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What am I missing here... New Guy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ddx77
Hello, So I just bought my first 914 which I have been thinking about buying for a while. I am very excited and happy to be a part of the forum, thanks for the add!

I am very new to them and not well versed in the proper terminology. I have a few things I have to address on the car and one is this.

Can you tell if I am missing a seal here? There is a very large opening in between the windshield frame, window and top. What would the part be called, is it a top seal?

Thanks in advance!

Drew

Click to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(ddx77 @ Oct 12 2021, 05:36 PM) *

Hello, So I just bought my first 914 which I have been thinking about buying for a while. I am very excited and happy to be a part of the forum, thanks for the add!

I am very new to them and not well versed in the proper terminology. I have a few things I have to address on the car and one is this.

Can you tell if I am missing a seal here? There is a very large opening in between the windshield frame, window and top. What would the part be called, is it a top seal?

Thanks in advance!

Drew

914Rubber.com is your friend.
SirAndy
welcome.png

Your main targa seal is broken. It is supposed to go along the top of the windshield frame and down the pillars in one piece.

914rubber has an excellent repo:
https://914rubber.com/main-targa-seal-1

bye1.gif
ddx77

Thank you very much! And thank you for the welcome!

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 12 2021, 06:43 PM) *

welcome.png

Your main targa seal is broken. It is supposed to go along the top of the windshield frame and down the pillars in one piece.

914rubber has an excellent repo:
https://914rubber.com/main-targa-seal-1

bye1.gif

ddx77

Thank you!

QUOTE(Jett @ Oct 12 2021, 06:42 PM) *

QUOTE(ddx77 @ Oct 12 2021, 05:36 PM) *

Thanks in advance!

Drew

914Rubber.com is your friend.

Craigers17
welcome.png

and Congrats on your new purchase! I was watching the BAT auction that you won. Your new car has a very cool interior!
ddx77
Thank you very much! I know the car isn't for a purist but I just couldn't resist it.

There was one person during the auction that mentioned a few things that the car needed, honestly I am not sure what he was referring to so I am hoping to get some help on here. I will probably make up another post and ask for some more assistance.

Thanks again!

Drew

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Oct 12 2021, 06:48 PM) *

welcome.png

and Congrats on your new purchase! I was watching the BAT auction that you won. Your new car has a very cool interior!
SO.O.C914er
welcome.png welcome to our mid-engine madness. That is a very nice looking interior.
ddx77

Thank you!

QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Oct 12 2021, 07:07 PM) *

welcome.png welcome to our mid-engine madness. That is a very nice looking interior.

mb911
Looks very clean interior wise
Jett
QUOTE(ddx77 @ Oct 12 2021, 05:57 PM) *

Thank you very much! I know the car isn't for a purist but I just couldn't resist it.

There was one person during the auction that mentioned a few things that the car needed, honestly I am not sure what he was referring to so I am hoping to get some help on here. I will probably make up another post and ask for some more assistance.

Thanks again!

Drew

welcome.png

Great interior smile.gif. …and welcome to the madness!
76-914
welcome.png
Shivers
QUOTE(ddx77 @ Oct 12 2021, 05:57 PM) *

Thanks again!

Drew

welcome.png

That looks slick, congrats on the win and welcome.png
dt4
+1
I would be interested in knowing how the dash has been covered or is it "painted"?
iankarr
welcome.png

Agree that 914rubber will be bookmarked in your browser before long. The targa seal you need is, in my opinion, better than the originals.

This community is filled with incredible people who are really generous with their knowledge...and friendship. They've helped me HUGE, so I decided to pay it forward by making a bunch of videos on how to care for these cars. I'm no expert, so they give a realistic view on what's involved, and what's possible for a DIY-er. The link to my youtube channel is in my signature below. You may want to start with the "914s for Newbies" series.

Welcome to the addiction!

Ian

PS - My video on installing the seals is coming in the next few weeks, but 914Rubberhas a great one on their site.
ddx77
Thank you again to everyone for the replies and welcomes.

DT4 - It is recovered.

iankarr - Thank you, I am subscribed now.
Cairo94507
welcome.png I like your tan interior. These cars are lots of fun and a blast to drive. beerchug.gif
930cabman
Welcome aboard mate! Great find
dt4
QUOTE(ddx77 @ Oct 13 2021, 11:25 AM) *

Thank you again to everyone for the replies and welcomes.

DT4 - It is recovered.

iankarr - Thank you, I am subscribed now.

looks like a great job beerchug.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(ddx77 @ Oct 12 2021, 04:57 PM) *

Thanks again!

Drew

welcome.png

This is a beautiful interior, and we would be interested in knowing more about who and how this was accomplished. aktion035.gif
ddx77

Good morning, I am actually working on getting that information. As soon as I do I will post it up. Thanks!

QUOTE(Jamie @ Oct 13 2021, 08:18 AM) *

QUOTE(ddx77 @ Oct 12 2021, 04:57 PM) *

Thanks again!

Drew

Click to view attachment

welcome.png

This is a beautiful interior, and we would be interested in knowing more about who and how this was accomplished. aktion035.gif

burlybryan
You're not wasting any time getting after it. It ended two days ago - do you possess it yet? If not, much of what dr914 mentioned will make sense when you see it. He's the owner of Auto Atlanta and you'll likely end up buying some parts from him.

His comments:
dr914 This author's likes: 823
for a custom 914 with a mediocre color change, this looks like a good solid car someone invested many many hours and a lot of money to achieve. SO if someone wanted a nice looking driver that they would know never could be made original again, there would be much enjoyment here. I would immediately turn around the left lens
(left front turn signal cover is upside down)

, reverse the side marker lenses
(Front side markers need to be reinstalled rotated 180 degrees)

install a windshield top
(you're on it)

seal paint the hood springs,
(front trunk - aka frunk - springs were oversprayed. no big deal, but looks bad)

replace what ever that wrapped muffler thing is (LOL)
(get rid of the exhaust wrap - this isn't a formula 1 car)

space the engine lid lettering
(the P O R S C H E letter on the engine lid is spaced too close together and should be repositioned)

install some cv joint gaskets
(don't know about this, but maybe they're leaking)

install a chrome heater slider bezel
(somebody rattle canned the heater/ventilation bezel facing on the dash black. Should be chrome. Get a used one from someone here)

replace the broken rear top holders,
(targa top holders broken? I didn't look that hard. People on here restore them)

and do something about the caulked fender divider slots before the paint cracks there (and it will!)
(this is the body area under the front windshield that the wipers mount to. The curved depression on the ends where it meets the fenders is supposed to be open and gasketed. People mud this when they repaint, but the area needs to move and it always opens back up again and will leak and rust.)

You got a really good price considering what the PO's put into it. Modified 914's don't do well on BAT.
ddx77
Thank you! That was the list I was going to post on my next thread. Thank you very much for answering those questions. The "caulked fender divider slots" was what I was really curious about.

in answer to your question about having the car, no actually, I will have it in my possession next week and yes I am trying to get right on the stuff dr914 mentioned. I am sure there will be more once I get the car. I had been watching the auction and it was sort of an impulse buy. But I wanted a 914 that wasn't all original and that I wouldn't be afraid of actually using. This looked like a good weekend cruiser to mess with.

Thanks again!

Drew

QUOTE(burlybryan @ Oct 13 2021, 08:40 AM) *

You're not wasting any time getting after it. It ended two days ago - do you possess it yet? If not, much of what dr914 mentioned will make sense when you see it. He's the owner of Auto Atlanta and you'll likely end up buying some parts from him.

His comments:
dr914 This author's likes: 823
for a custom 914 with a mediocre color change, this looks like a good solid car someone invested many many hours and a lot of money to achieve. SO if someone wanted a nice looking driver that they would know never could be made original again, there would be much enjoyment here. I would immediately turn around the left lens
(left front turn signal cover is upside down)

, reverse the side marker lenses
(Front side markers need to be reinstalled rotated 180 degrees)

install a windshield top
(you're on it)

seal paint the hood springs,
(front trunk - aka frunk - springs were oversprayed. no big deal, but looks bad)

replace what ever that wrapped muffler thing is (LOL)
(get rid of the exhaust wrap - this isn't a formula 1 car)

space the engine lid lettering
(the P O R S C H E letter on the engine lid is spaced too close together and should be repositioned)

install some cv joint gaskets
(don't know about this, but maybe they're leaking)

install a chrome heater slider bezel
(somebody rattle canned the heater/ventilation bezel facing on the dash black. Should be chrome. Get a used one from someone here)

replace the broken rear top holders,
(targa top holders broken? I didn't look that hard. People on here restore them)

and do something about the caulked fender divider slots before the paint cracks there (and it will!)
(this is the body area under the front windshield that the wipers mount to. The curved depression on the ends where it meets the fenders is supposed to be open and gasketed. People mud this when they repaint, but the area needs to move and it always opens back up again and will leak and rust.)

You got a really good price considering what the PO's put into it. Modified 914's don't do well on BAT.

burlybryan
Aside from the frustration of installing the front roof seal (from what I hear), everything can be done in a long afternoon. Would be nice to have such a short list! I've been sleuthing and correcting my car for a year and I haven't even gotten to the engine (bad rings, but drivable) and rusted floor pans yet.
burton73
Very nice interior

Bob B
Montreal914
welcome.png

Congrats on your purchase. This looks like a very nice car smilie_pokal.gif and, as mentioned, we will want more info on that interior... biggrin.gif

Welcome to the addiction (referring to this forum,... and the car too! laugh.gif )

assimilate.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.