Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Engine Fan, Alternator, and my Dumba@@!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ballsyfacts914
To understand how monumentally foolish I am, and to remind all novice mechanics such as myself, I must start my story by telling you about my heater blower.

I have had my 914 for a little over two years now. The car has ran well for most of the time with only a few major mechanic visits to handle the transmission and to take of leaks. I am at the point where I am starting to replace parts that are missing from the car, like the heater blower. I got my original heater blower and installed it, figured out the electrical issues, and even connected the splitter and hoses, foolishly thinking all I needed to do was attach the hoses to the ones on the underside. Luckily, I had a moment of clarity and did a bit of research and found I was missing a slew of parts that connect to the heat exchangers.

Here is where I become a dumba@@, I left the hoses in the engine compartment unattached (well, attached to the heater blower), not thinking that it would matter. Of course I went for a drive, and the longer of the two hoses, that I had coiled up and left in the space next to the heater blower towards the rear of the car, got pulled into the engine fan/alternator somehow...FFS!

Was able to pull out the shredded hose and thought I had dodged a bullet. However, I took another drive and I heard two unfamiliar sounds, the first was a squeaky which reminded me of a belt slipping. Was not constant and only seemed to happen when I down-shifted or gave the car some gas, especially in third gear. The second sound was a deep clicking kind of sound though it was hard to place as the engine is rather loud (carbed 1.8 rebuilt to a 2.0).

When I got back, I found that the V-shaped belt, which has teeth that are meant to be facing down into the grove of the fan and alternator wheels, was seemingly seated correctly on the alternator but turned 90 degrees when on the engine fan wheel.

I checked in with AutoAtlanta and they confirmed that wasn't right. I tried adjusting but all I can do, with a wrench on the alternator nut, is turn both wheels. I think the good news is that the belt is not loose and seems to be in fine condition.

Any thoughts on how to get the belt to sit correctly without me having to pay to have the engine dropped?

I accept all of your ridicule and fun-making as I am a supreme dumbo.

Thank you in advance for any advice oh how to fix.
Robarabian
If you want an easy way to understand how the alternator belt adjusts, look up Ian Karr on YouTube. His last video "installing the pushrod tubes" has a part in the video that shows you exactly how the alternator moves and adjusts. you DONT need to drop the engine.

@iankarr
iankarr
Rob...we've all been there. Don't look at this as a mistake...Consider it tuition wink.gif. It's the only way we learn!

Here's a link. The alternator section starts at about 15:00 in

https://youtu.be/7nyAJYLk2mU
Shivers
Ha, wait till you leave your oil rag in there. Easy fix dude, happened to most of us in one form or another.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.