Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Upgrade Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rcarson25
So, after getting sidetracked with a couple of projects for other people I am going to get back to work on my 914. I am looking at good alternator upgrade options that are reasonably priced. I like the WOSPerformance 175 amp option but 1K for an alternator seems a bit steep. I will be running an aftermarket head unit (nothing fancy), seat warmers, and hopefully at some point I want to do electric AC. I assume somewhere around 125amp would be ideal.

Are there any recommendations that people would suggest. Would like to be in the $250-$300 range.
mepstein
Do you have a four or a six?
gms
contact @pnewman for a 4 cylinder solution
rcarson25
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 14 2021, 09:01 AM) *

Do you have a four or a six?

Yeah, this info may help. Not sure why I didn't think of including that info in the original post. It is a 4 cylinder 2056.
rcarson25
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 14 2021, 09:46 AM) *

Thank you, I remembered seeing this at one point and tried to search for it this morning and I could not find it.
mepstein
QUOTE(rcarson25 @ Oct 14 2021, 11:12 AM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Oct 14 2021, 09:46 AM) *

Thank you, I remembered seeing this at one point and tried to search for it this morning and I could not find it.

Yea, he’s your go to guy for the 914 alternator. Your first post lists an alternator for a six.
pnewman
Hey guys.
Thanks for the referral.
I'm the type IV / 914 alternator kit guy.
I sent Ryan an email this morning.

FYI:
I put 1500 miles on my car so far this year without a problem with the charging system.
Here is what i am running:
10" woofer with 500 watt amplifier (Using a capacitor)
4each 6" speakers
dual seat heaters
dual heat pusher fans in the engine compartment
Oil cooler fan for external oil cooler
other accessory lights like Corvette rear view mirror with map lights etc. (Great idea incase you were thinking of it.)
plus all of the stock stuff of course.

As long as I keep the the rpms at or above 850 I am usually pretty good depending on the song and how stupid I am acting. The rice burner / hot hatch mod kids at cars an coffee love this car. It's like a retro version of what they're doing. Purists probably cringe but I drive the car with the top off down to 45 degrees F and I'm as happy and comfortable as can be.
seanpaulmc
@pnewman
Would you also post some pictures of the Corvette rear view mirror you mentioned? Where are you taking the power from?

Thanks

QUOTE(pnewman @ Oct 14 2021, 01:37 PM) *

Hey guys.
Thanks for the referral.
I'm the type IV / 914 alternator kit guy.
I sent Ryan an email this morning.

FYI:
I put 1500 miles on my car so far this year without a problem with the charging system.
Here is what i am running:
10" woofer with 500 watt amplifier (Using a capacitor)
4each 6" speakers
dual seat heaters
dual heat pusher fans in the engine compartment
Oil cooler fan for external oil cooler
other accessory lights like Corvette rear view mirror with map lights etc. (Great idea incase you were thinking of it.)
plus all of the stock stuff of course.

As long as I keep the the rpms at or above 850 I am usually pretty good depending on the song and how stupid I am acting. The rice burner / hot hatch mod kids at cars an coffee love this car. It's like a retro version of what they're doing. Purists probably cringe but I drive the car with the top off down to 45 degrees F and I'm as happy and comfortable as can be.

pnewman
I cannot remember exactly what year corvette the rear view mirror is from, probably 90's. My stock interior light works great for lighting the cabin when opening the doors and gaining vehicle entry but is annoying for map reading and interior uses while driving.

I run a separate fuse block for accessories to the right of the center console which is protected by a large accessory fuse block at the battery.
pnewman
I have been using this system for a while without issue.
Hope this helps.
JeffBowlsby
For the big output alternator do you need to upgrade the alternator wiring harness?
rcarson25
The kit does come with a beefed up alt harness to support the higher amperage. The kit seems to be very well thought out and address all the challenges you would face with this upgrade. Unfortunately for me it may be a bit out of budget at them moment.
davep
I agree with Jeff. The stock harness is not up to the task of a 50Amp alternator. EVERY harness I have looked at has failed one way or another. Most have the wires melted together about where they exit the alternator cover.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(rcarson25 @ Oct 14 2021, 07:54 PM) *

The kit does come with a beefed up alt harness to support the higher amperage. The kit seems to be very well thought out and address all the challenges you would face with this upgrade. Unfortunately for me it may be a bit out of budget at them moment.

Which wires get upgraded and to what gauge?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.