Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil lines up the passenger side for 914/6v
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning, hope everybody’s having a decent day so far. The red homebrew ex-turbo car has a front mounted oil cooler and lines that were run up the passenger side of the car. I am considering putting a 3.2L 911 engine in it and would like to, obviously, reuse as much of the existing work That was already done to the car as possible.

I believe using the lines as-is that are picked up forward of the rear passenger wheel it’s just a matter of getting all the hard lines custom fit and routing to/from the thermostat? In other words I’m going to have some custom wines to make but there’s nothing inherently good/bad about routing everything up the passenger side rather than the driver side, right?

Thanks!

(thanks for being patient with all the questions about this car over the years, I’ve managed to acquire a couple 911 engines and shells and I’m trying to play Legos with getting the build combinations right)
JmuRiz
Elephant racing has oil lines that go up the pass-side for the cooler.

I like this system (no intrusion into the passenger cabin) but it's $$$
mepstein
Elephant racing makes a kit that sends the lines up the passenger side. It's pricey but looks really nice. Might provide some inspiration.

https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/914/...r-plumbing-kit/
burton73
The reason to do it in the left side of car is that is where the action is. Oil tank, thermostat ect. On Eng. oil cooler.

My 6 has the lines done as flex stainless run to the front cooler. Take a look on my build and see how that was done.
My line does not go in left of the clutch peddle but is run into the wheel well. It’s the way 41 was done by the hotrod builders
In the 70s It just shows you a different way of doing it

Bob B
Tdskip
Thanks gentlemen, super helpful as always!

mepstein
On my current 3.2 conversion, I have one line on the passenger and one on the driver side. This way I didn’t have to loop an oil line over or under the engine or trans. In front, it runs along the rockers and loops up over the inner wheel wells.

There are a couple ways to handle the lines.
roblav1
I did mine with flex AN12 lines on the left... under the steel rocker panel, through to the left front wheelwell, through the inner wheelwell panel near the brake fluid resevoir, down into the fuel tank cavity, through the left box section there, and through the back bulkhead of the front trunk.

A hole saw is my friend! The only real mod I needed to make was increase the clearance at the top left rear of the fuel tank. One AN12 hose easily fits. The mod needed to accomodate two.
burton73
example of flex SS on a six, my six

Bob BClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Thanks for the additional ideas and documentation, very helpful.

This all does raise a question - how long are oil flex lines generally good for? Is there a time period where they time out and should be replaced?
roblav1
Stainless covered will last longer than OE hoses. On our racing cars, we'd use and re-use them for decades. This time, I tried the Start-Lite on my build. Highly suspect it will outlive me!
lesorubcheek
One question for those who have ran their oil lines on the driver's side. Apologies Tdskip if this is too much of a tangent to your original question. If so I can ask elsewhere, it just seems somewhat related. What's done with the two lines that run from the charcoal canister to the rear? Seen lots of examples of oil line runs, but can't remember seeing the charcoal vent lines along with the oil lines. Are they just behind your oil lines in the pics, or are they rerouted or ???

Dan
roblav1
I dumped my charcoal lines. Running PMO carbs, so fuel smell is like any old 911 with Webers. My fuel tank vents down toward the steering rack cover.
Tdskip
All good Dan, if a thread helps someone take care of their car it is more than fine with me.
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Oct 14 2021, 10:02 PM) *

I dumped my charcoal lines. Running PMO carbs, so fuel smell is like any old 911 with Webers. My fuel tank vents down toward the steering rack cover.

Thanks for the reply roblav1. My guess was this is the popular solution. Since most run ITGs or some other twin filters with carbs, it doesn't seem worth the trouble to try to run a line and split, or run to a single side. If injected or just with a single filter housing, it may make sense to try to connect it.

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 15 2021, 08:44 AM) *

All good Dan, if a thread helps someone take care of their car it is more than fine with me.

Thanks Tdskip. Some forums I'm on have members that get really wound up when their thread goes off on a tangent. Never bothers me, but just didn't want to step on any toes, so I try to be nice. BTW, I've read many threads here that you originated. Hope your 2.4 effort is going well. You've asked many of the same questions I came up with trying plan our /6 install. Makes it easy to just search and find the answers.

Dan
RiqueMar
I too ran my lines on the passenger-side exterior, with the only difference being that my lines do enter the cabin via a bulkhead mount to avoid running in the wheel-well. More photos on my build-thread, but sharing a few here.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.