Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can a CHT sensor go intermittently wonky?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robson51
I was watching Dr 914s walkaround of a D Jet 2.0 motor, and he makes a comment that the Cylinder Head Temp sensor causes a lot of problems, and can get wonky.

Is it possible for one to test out fine (2750 ohms) and then act bad? I have a strange syndrome where the car was running fine, but developed a rich syndrome very suddenly. Haven't had a chance to check it again, but it was almost new.

TIA

Rob
Superhawk996
Yes. They don't have good stress relief. Intermittent shorting between lead and ground is possible. Likewise because of lack of stress relief, it's possible to have the copper conductor break, and result in an intermittent open which will lead to rich condition.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 14 2021, 04:08 PM) *

Yes. They don't have good stress relief. Intermittent shorting between lead and ground is possible. Likewise because of lack of stress relief, it's possible to have the copper conductor break, and result in an intermittent open which will lead to rich condition.

agree.gif
but in 12 years of having a d-jet car i have see the suddenly or even intermittently rich issue tied to a MPS issue more than a bad CHT

recheck the MPS,

Phil
Robson51
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 14 2021, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 14 2021, 04:08 PM) *

agree.gif
but in 12 years of having a d-jet car i have see the suddenly or even intermittently rich issue tied to a MPS issue more than a bad CHT

recheck the MPS,

Phil

MPS freshly rebuilt professionally
tvdinnerbythepool
@Robson51 Absolutely! I was just a victim to this heinous crime. $20 part can ruin an otherwise wonderful car lol-2.gif headbang.gif driving.gif I was randomly going VERY rich and huge bogging issues. Tested fine then tested WAY off spec the next time. Easy to test but test a few times.
76-914
Might check the CHT wire to the ECU also. Do you have a known good MAP to cross check? Or carry an ohm meter to check the sensor output next time it gives up the Ghost. These type headaches are why I converted to water cooled. headbang.gif GL
Olympic 914
I had one go out intermittently. usually if it goes "open" the engine will quit. The ECU needs to see some resistance.
Mine went rich because I was running a 1 k parallel resistor, so it was reading as if it was still cold. But better than sticking me on the highway, made it home and put a new one in.

Superhawk996
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 14 2021, 05:51 PM) *

These type headaches are why I converted to water cooled. headbang.gif GL

I gave up water pumpers due to coolant leakage. splat.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.