Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOLD early headlight switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
DC_neun_vierzehn
A few months back, I posted a WTB headlight switch here in the Classifieds for my '73 (due to dimmer not working smoothly).

A kind fellow responded that he had what I needed.

Unfortunately, what he sent turned out not to be the right headlights switch version. He sent an early headlight switch (more narrow, 10 posts, I'm told used 70-'72). Seems like some '73s (depending upon when in '73 your car was produced) had the early headlight switch, while others had the later headlight switch.

Thus, I'm offering this early headlight switch up to the next person for what I paid ($30). I was told it worked fine. I have no way of testing it since it doesn't match my wiring.

The switch on the left is the switch in my car (a late switch) that I need to replace.

The switch on the right (early switch) is the one I'm selling.

Click to view attachment
DC_neun_vierzehn
More pics of the early switch for sale w/ 10 posts:

Click to view attachment

JeffBowlsby
Easy to test for continuity and resistance of the dimmer circuit with this diagram.

https://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/doc...ashSwitches.pdf
roundtwo
I'd like to buy it. Would be super if I knew it worked. PM sent
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Oct 15 2021, 09:32 AM) *

Easy to test for continuity and resistance of the dimmer circuit with this diagram.

Thanks. I really wish I knew how to read that and put it to use. But sadly, I don’t. Willing to learn though!
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Oct 15 2021, 01:00 PM) *

Thanks. I really wish I knew how to read that and put it to use. But sadly, I don’t. Willing to learn though!

The diagrams indicate the circuitry internal to the switch. Do you have an ohmmeter and know how to use it? If not its a helpful basic tool/skill that you may be interested in acquiring. If you buy an ohmmeter, sometimes they are in a combined meter called a DVM (digital volt meter) which include s voltage meter and sometimes other functions. A cheap one will work sufficeintly, or buy a good meter for better quality.
Look for one with an audio signal output. These meters have two leads (probes) and when used as an ohmmeter you touch the probe tips together the meter or the audio signal which will indicate continuity. Using the meter on the switch, just touch the tips to each end of a circuit as indicated to see if it has continuity, that is all you are testing = continuity. The ohmmeter function will allow you to read the resistance of the dimmer circuit.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Oct 15 2021, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Oct 15 2021, 01:00 PM) *

The diagrams indicate the circuitry internal to the switch. Do you have an ohmmeter and know how to use it? If not its a helpful basic tool/skill that you may be interested in acquiring. If you buy an ohmmeter, sometimes they are in a combined meter called a DVM (digital volt meter) which include s voltage meter and sometimes other functions. A cheap one will work sufficeintly, or buy a good meter for better quality.
Look for one with an audio signal output. These meters have two leads (probes) and when used as an ohmmeter you touch the probe tips together the meter or the audio signal which will indicate continuity. Using the meter on the switch, just touch the tips to each end of a circuit as indicated to see if it has continuity, that is all you are testing = continuity. The ohmmeter function will allow you to read the resistance of the dimmer circuit.

Thanks Jeff! Sounds like I need to go buy DVM w/ an ohmeter and watch some YouTube videos. I will add this to my tool purchase list
DC_neun_vierzehn
SOLD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.