Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oakland hills fire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
I lived in the flats below the fire back then. Clearly remember seeing this when it originally aired.

A 914 a 1:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NseOhUqZAh0&t=80s
Root_Werks
Wow, remember that on the news and hard to believe it was that long ago.

914 looks packed with belongings.
Tdskip
They gave me a queasy feeling in my stomach
jeffdon
I was daily driving my 914 (still have it). Remember getting chills when I saw this on the news.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Oct 19 2021, 02:57 PM) *

I was daily driving my 914 (still have it). Remember getting chills when I saw this on the news.

That makes two of us, and I remember watching the fire get going from my job at the Richmond Costco (where my 914 was parked at the time). Albany Hill blocked the view of the source of the smoke, but the sheer volume of smoke was enough to know.

I remember this footage, and another 914 with GT flares and deep steel wheels moving fast. Wild to see the "fleet" of cars all these years later—so very "East Bay 1991" and thus brings back a lot of memories (most of them good).
infraredcalvin
I was in the dorms at Cal, I watched that fire take out home after home it was scary. They evacuated my dorm, I took my books and my bike in case I needed a quick getaway…

Bought my 1st 914 the summer after that… still have it…

On a side note, I worked at the Berkeley public works dept after that, the City was handing out permits like candy on Halloween to anyone affected by the fire… lots of stuff cruised under the radar that should never have been built…
wonkipop
could be australia.

dangerous to be leaving as the fire hits.
at least here. imagine its the same in cali?

Shivers
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 19 2021, 07:59 PM) *

could be australia.

We'd be watching for area reports, you'd hear the fire is going the other way. Next the fire and the fire department would be at your door to evacuate. They hit so fast and sometimes with no rhyme or reason.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 20 2021, 06:18 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 19 2021, 07:59 PM) *

could be australia.

We'd be watching for area reports, you'd hear the fire is going the other way. Next the fire and the fire department would be at your door to evacuate. They hit so fast and sometimes with no rhyme or reason.

topography? you get fires in the hills/mountains - making their own weather?

down here, the big fires follow a pattern.
burn for days driven by north wind, a long thin fire with a narrow front heading south. then we get a cool change at some point that breaks the weather. usually a violent wind storm without rain from the west.

long thin fire turns its side into a wide front monster, travelling faster than you can drive. they make their own weather at that point.

the authorities get everyone out these days, 24 hours in advance, anyone who will be facing a monster when it turns east.

i got sent this photo by a police mate who was in mallacoota a couple of years ago when the big fires were burning. photo is around 9.00 am in the morning - may as well be night. fire hit an hour and half later. town's population was down at the beach or out on the water.

Click to view attachment
Shivers
Looks like an opening scene of some weird Netflix SiFi series. sad.gif

I was 12, and living in the foothills of Glendora. Fire sucks, but it got a few hundred yards from us and turned. Mud slides kept us out of school for a week. smile.gif

https://glendoracitynews.com/2014/12/08/los...d-69-mudslides/

@wonkipop
EdwardBlume
My wife’s grandparents lost their home in the Oakland Hills fire. Lost everything. Luckily they were out of town.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.