Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for someone with Fiber Glass experience
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeP
I'm getting my V8 car a 930 installed at Bauer Porsche in Oakland, and while it is there I'm doing the 5 lug conversion and new wheels. This means two things:

1. My fenders need cut/flared for the new wheels before the car can leave the shop. The shop is amenable to an independent party doing this there but has not found someone yet.

2. My custom offset Panasport ultralight wheels with rubber (225, 50, 15) the biggest you can fit under a stock fender will be available.

I am looking for someone with fiberglass experience who I could either pay to bond the FG flares or who might be interested in a trade for the Panasports or a refferral to an independant person who might be interested in the job or any combination thereof. As a trade for the Panasports I'd want a pretty complete job done, as I really just need the flares bonded/ the rough fg work done. Any help is greatly appreciated. Not the best picture I know, but you get the idea.
MikeP
22 view and none of you have fg experience? you people will read anything won't you? wink.gif
Mueller
I've done 'glass a few times, but I wouldn't trust myself on someone elses car sawzall-smiley.gif
MikeP
I'm not looking for a "pro" I just want someone who knows how to bond fg / what the right stuff to use /prep is all about. I'll get the final detail work done when I get the car painted. More concerned for now about a good quality bond. I'd actually be interested in helping to learn a little.
Dr. Roger
those panasports arent even close to being a fair trade for that amount of Fg work. Just an FYI.

I do a little FG work but it's such a pain in the arse that I keep it to a minimum and only my stuff.
Mueller
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Jul 27 2005, 01:31 PM)
those panasports arent even close to being a fair trade for that amount of Fg work. Just an FYI.

I do a little FG work but it's such a pain in the arse that I keep it to a minimum and only my stuff.

I wouldn't go that far...the Panasports are worth about $800 plus or minus a few hundred depending on offset....

As for the fenders, I'd say 3 hours per fender
MikeP
Like I said Roger, I'm more than willing to pay for the work at a pre-determined price or hourly rate. And all I'm looking for is the bonding done, no finish work. I'd say it is a good offer. I understand you may not think so but your insistence on sharing has me a bit baffled confused24.gif
MikeP
Mueller to the defense! thanks Mike!! New the wheels would be about $1260 plus tax. Tires yoka AVS almost new/ mounted & balanced $85 ea. Close to $1600 for 16 hours work is good $ for some people.
McMark
I'm definitely interested. I'm just getting into fiberglass, but there are a few articles on here about doing it. I have confidence in myself to be able to do it well. Give me a call. 707-738-5686. Or come to the breakfast on Sat. I'm 90% sure I'll be there.

I have to talk to you about getting the tube frame race car body panels to you. wink.gif
Dr. Roger
It's probably just my own personal fears coming out as I have never bonded FG to steel before. Sorry for coming off wrong.

I was going by how long it would probably take ME. =-)
Forever and a day. LOL cool.gif
URY914
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Jul 28 2005, 08:29 AM)
It's probably just my own personal fears coming out as I have never bonded FG to steel before. Sorry for coming off wrong.

I was going by how long it would probably take ME. =-)
Forever and a day. LOL cool.gif

It easier than you think.

Get the steel roughed up good with a 36 grid sanding disc and soak the f/g mat real good with resin. Use one of those ribbed rollers to work the mat. PM me you need anything.

I've got a thread somewhere when I stuck my GT flares on.

Paul
lapuwali
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jul 28 2005, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Jul 28 2005, 08:29 AM)
It's probably just my own personal fears coming out as I have never bonded FG to steel before.  Sorry for coming off wrong.

I was going by how long it would probably take ME.   =-)
Forever and a day.    LOL  B)

It easier than you think.

Get the steel roughed up good with a 36 grid sanding disc and soak the f/g mat real good with resin. Use one of those ribbed rollers to work the mat. PM me you need anything.

I've got a thread somewhere when I stuck my GT flares on.

Paul

I would think drilling a series of small holes in the edge of the steel would also help, esp. if you bond from both sides. A couple of staggered rows of holes, with mat and resin on each side, should produce a very strong joint.
MikeP
I love this site. You guys are great. Roger, sorry for jumping on you like that. McM pm sent. Everyone else thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming!
neo914-6
QUOTE (McMark @ Jul 27 2005, 10:43 PM)
I'm definitely interested. I'm just getting into fiberglass, but there are a few articles on here about doing it. I have confidence in myself to be able to do it well. Give me a call. 707-738-5686. Or come to the breakfast on Sat. I'm 90% sure I'll be there.

I have to talk to you about getting the tube frame race car body panels to you. wink.gif

Mike,

I'd recommend Mark. Besides, giving him more experience will only benefit our future projects. biggrin.gif

How's the Lotus repairs progressing?
brant
ok...
I'm halfway steering this thread off topic.

and I admit I haven't yet searched the board.

but is there any good bonding agents or glues that are recommended when putting glass onto metal.

reason I ask, is that I just got this crazy Idea this morning about putting a spoiler onto my street car.

previously I had one that used to crack along the bond line every 3 months...

is there new glue or better product out there then there was 15 years ago?

(help paul)

brant
TravisNeff
I have read that epoxy resins work especially well with disimilar materials over the standard resin.
MikeP
We're workin to see if the time table at Bauer will work with Mark's availability. Do you want to come get messy with us Thursday or Friday of next week if everything works out? Lotus is pogressing......slowly. Damned insurance companies.
neo914-6
If you have enough surface area and aren't going to fill the seams, I'd try 3M VHB double sided foam tape.
brant
I want to appologize to mike for stealing his thread.

I'll start another one

thanks guys
brant
MikeP
no I want the info too, please have the thread!
street legal go-kart
Mike ,
See previous threads w/my name and fiberglass.
PM me and I'll give you my phone # .
I think I can safely answer any questions you might have.
The process is fairly simple if you follow a few simple instructions.

JT
Dr. Roger
3M products PDF.

It's there. =-)

Heck why glass when you can glue them fenders on? smilie_pokal.gif

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserv...VuuuC2CePZk2VP-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.