Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: @#$%ing Dimmer Relay Tried to Kill Me
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Two weeks ago I was coming home after dark at the end of a long 250 mile round trip through SW Montana for work. [Side note: if you pull up to a Montana rancher's house in a 914, he WILL get a kick out of it.] I noticed my lights were occasionally having trouble switching between dim and bright which required a double pull on he switch, but it wasn't consistent. I made a note to myself to look into it. I then crested a fairly remote and very dark mountain pass and dimmed my lights for an oncoming car. Then as I headed down the back side at 70+ mph into a sweeper on the descent, I tugged the switch to go back to brights. Instead of brights, I got total blackness... on a pitch black night in the middle of a curve on a remote mountain pass at high speed yikes.gif I hit the brakes to scrub speed while feeling for the shoulder and flicking that dimmer switch with furry. After a half dozen tugs, the brights popped on. [side question: anyone know how to clean shit out of brick weave vinyl? blink.gif ] Needless to say, I was not happy.

I finally got a chance to dig into the problem and started with the relay. This is not a 50 year old part. It was purchased new from Pelican less than a year ago as part of my bare metal restoration, and has seen less than 5 hours of service. Popping the cover off quickly revealed what shit build quality these new relays are despite being rather spendy. The relay pulls a thin metal finger into a 2-part (plastic and brass) rocker mechanism with two valleys and a splitter tooth between. Each cycle of the relay is supposed to position the splitter so the finger slides into the other valley on the next cycle. But the build tolerances were crap and there was so much float in the relay plate that the metal finger didn't line up consistently with the splitters. Often it wouldn't switch positions and sometimes it would miss the brass part of the splitter completely and get hung up on the plastic. When that happens, it's lights out!

Click to view attachment

I was able to use a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze the notches that guide the relay plate closed a little more to reduce the slop in the plate travel, and bend the tang holding the metal finger so it consistently engaged the brass splitter. After that, I was able to reliably cycle between bright and dim with no blackouts.

The only question I have is if there are new replacements that are good quality and reliable. I think I paid $40 for this one and it tried to kill me. Most importantly, I wanted to warn people to beware of faulty dimmers. A jinky dimmer relay can go from just annoying to potentially deadly very fast!
SirAndy

Glad you are still here to tell that story ...
blink.gif

tygaboy
Holy moly. That is some scary stuff. Words fail to begin to cover how relieved we are to hear nothing bad happened.
914Sixer
I know exactly what you are talking about, I had a new 1973 911 Targa that had the switch go South. I was cruising about 85 on the Texas High Plains near Lubbock and dipped to low beam for on coming traffic, when the "Oh shit" moment hit. The full moon saved my ass after my eyes adjusted.
76-914
Note to Chinese Manufacturer's: Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Which brings this question to mind. If that faulty relay caused a fatality who would be blamed, aka sued? Pelican or an overseas manufacturer? ps, I have an extra seat bottom if you need a replacement! happy11.gif
mepstein
Do you have led bulbs. With the good ones, you won’t even need your high beams.
trick-e
…or the company that sent the inferior specs to the manufacturer.
Justinp71

Scary, glad you're ok. I have the same issue with my hi/low relay. It's never gone dark on me the though. I also would like to get a new higher quality one.

bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 21 2021, 11:27 AM) *

I do. I think they are the same ones that you use - Truck Lites. They are great, but with the critters we have running around here, you want all the light you can get driving at night.
ClayPerrine
Brent,

How much basketweave cloth have you stromberg.gif since then? lol-2.gif

Glad you and your car aren't hurt.

FYI.. sometimes new is not better. You might consider getting an used OEM relay from an old harness. The relay in Betty's 914 is the original 50 year old one and it is still working. It's going back in the car when I put it back together.

Clay
burton73
Brent buddy,

Thank the lord that you are OK.

Lights, my kingdom for lights.

Best Bob B
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 21 2021, 02:07 PM) *

Brent buddy,

Thank the lord that you are OK.

Lights, my kingdom for lights.

Best Bob B

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Dion
Bloody hell Brent! Glad you are ok.
Have to concur with Clay. Find another “original” one . Most likely better in the quality area. idea.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 21 2021, 03:38 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 21 2021, 11:27 AM) *

I do. I think they are the same ones that you use - Truck Lites. They are great, but with the critters we have running around here, you want all the light you can get driving at night.

Yea, I do like the truck lites.
bbrock
I think I still have the original relay somewhere around here. I'll see if I can clean it up. It looked a bit crusty so I figured I'd play it safe and replace with new. That didn't go so well.

I'm actually fairly confident this new one will be reliable after I tuned it up. It doesn't wobble all over the place anymore.
ClayPerrine
Another thought.....

Make sure you can turn your fog lights on separate from the headlights. If the relay fails again, just turn the fog lights on. They may not be the best lights for the situation, but they are better than nothing.

MM1
Glad you made it through that dark curve, Brent - good thing, though, is that you just made my Top 20 Pucker Story List.

Please accept my remote-vid prize:

smilie_pokal.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 22 2021, 09:34 AM) *

Another thought.....

Make sure you can turn your fog lights on separate from the headlights. If the relay fails again, just turn the fog lights on. They may not be the best lights for the situation, but they are better than nothing.

Good thought. My 2L is a little unusual in not having appearance group so no fog lights. I've waffled between adding them and staying original. This is more food for thought. No question they would have made a world of difference in those few seconds.

QUOTE(MM1 @ Oct 22 2021, 12:58 PM) *

Glad you made it through that dark curve, Brent - good thing, though, is that you just made my Top 20 Pucker Story List.

Please accept my remote-vid prize:

smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks! This makes it all worth it. Ever since I was a little girl of dreamed of one day winning the Pucker Award. I have so many people to thank.... lol-2.gif
Arno914
After more than 100 entries in your restauration project thread (which I read with great interest btw.) your guardian angel decided that you really deserve to keep this beautiful 914 forever! Thankfully everything turned out ok for you!

I have a good longtime friend who works for a big german automotive supplier. He also drives a 87 Carrera and is a real Porsche guy. His main work is examining car parts that have failed out in the field on contemporary vehicles.

I am not going into details here, but he always tells us: "Keep your old original stuff as long as you can, even rework if possible." There is a lot of real cheap crap out there, even in cars with a star on the hood. Cost reduction is everything.

For example, take a look at your old cylinder head temperature sensor (strong cable, good insulation and wear protection) and then look at the new ones they sell nowadays. I would trust the old one more on a cold, dark and rainy drive home.

Drive careful driving.gif
emerygt350
I have the original lights, I like the warm hues. My high beams still work, but nobody can tell. Therefore, I don't have to stress the relay by switching them on and off with traffic. Problem solved.
bbrock
QUOTE(Arno914 @ Oct 22 2021, 02:35 PM) *

After more than 100 entries in your restauration project thread (which I read with great interest btw.) your guardian angel decided that you really deserve to keep this beautiful 914 forever! Thankfully everything turned out ok for you!

Maybe the gods are paying me back for letting me be stupid enough to wreck my first 914 the first week I had it rolleyes.gif

That thread isn't finished yet BTW. Still a few more projects to cover.

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Oct 22 2021, 07:42 PM) *

I have the original lights, I like the warm hues. My high beams still work, but nobody can tell. Therefore, I don't have to stress the relay by switching them on and off with traffic. Problem solved.

av-943.gif That would solve two problems. I always wouldn't have been screaming down the mountain at 70+ mph because 20 was about as fast as I ever felt comfortable driving with those original lights at night smile.gif

I just pulled the car into the garage after a night run to town. Dimmer relay worked perfectly. thumb3d.gif
altitude411
If that modified relay has survived two tours down "your" road, then it has been Montana tested tough and is truly good to go.

I was driving the six to Billings early one morning, following behind a pickup on the interstate and right about at the Bear Canyon exit (he) swerved to the left about a cars width. I was running the "warm hue dining mood lights" of coarse (well before LED invention). I followed suit because, well... because ??? Out of the corner of my eye the "warm hue' was just enough to faintly illuminate a moose with its front feet over the white line of the highway as I passed by at about knee cap high. I thought, was that a moo... nah.
On my way home that evening that moose was piled up on the west bound lane. Sometimes it's better not knowing?? blink.gif

Anyway, glad your putting miles on that beautifully restored car. Don't bend it up Brent. beerchug.gif
wonkipop
@bbrock

in australia the old school trick for how to not hit a kangaroo at night is to kill the headlights.
------roos get mesmerized by the light and just stand in the road frozen.
kill the lamps and they hop off. the shite chinese switch might be an asset here?

i had to do a run from a town called mallacoota about two years back after we missed a plane. 4 hours of hell through the remote victorian section of highway 1 in dense bush after dark in a rental car. i ran with the right tyres in the rumble strip white line down the center of the road and killed the lights twice - both times i thought we were gone but the roo kept going and didn't freeze. i only knew where i was going by keeping the tyre on the white line in the centre of the road - by sound but not by sight.

beerchug.gif

there is no defence against a kangaroo hit in the day time.
usually they come in from the side with no warning.
liable to come through the windscreen during a daytime hit.

barefoot
Is there a solid state relay that can replace the OEM ????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.