Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arizona Mechanic?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
volksswag63
Hello! Total NEWB here. I just bought a 75 914 2.0 and I feel like I'm in over my head. 914 World has been a wealth of info for me. I used to drive VWs back in the day, but this car is another level. Does anyone know of some good mechanics in Phoenix to work on 914s? I have reached out to Dan at competition, Doug's and AZ Auto Care. The only one willing to take a look at my car is Dan, but he's booked until December. Just want to get it looked over and in good running order. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Click to view attachment
JamesM
They are not as hard as they seem to work on yourself... you have to start somewhere.

That being said the only sort of unusual thing on these cars is the engine/fuel injection. Find a local shop that works on later aircooled VW buses and they should be able to handle any issue in a 914.
Coondog
Becks euro
Don Jackson ent

Both those shops are #1

My pick would be Don
Steve
Just curious what about stuttgart Southwest in Tempe. They worked on my car when I lived there 25 years ago.
Costa05
Dont have a mechanic to recommend but nearby in
Laveen AZ.
Front yard mechanic
Call his bluff and schedule for December I bet he will fit you in before then .
ndfrigi
Welcome to 914world @volksswag63

Is it currently running?
Fuel Injection or carbs

Maybe share a picture of the engine from top view.

I’m sure with your experienced with VWs, 914 should be easy for you also.
914e
Depending on what is needed to be done Patrick Motorsports might be an option.
What needs to be done to it?
AZBanks
I have been very happy with Don Jackson and Becks.

I wasn't as happy with Stuttgart Southwest.
volksswag63
Thanks for all of the responses. Needs electrical work. It's kind of a rats nest currently. Needs new carburetor, currently has a manual choke want to convert to electric. Have been told that if I'm doing that, I might as well do dual carbs. Does that sound right? I'll post pics of the engine later today.
volksswag63
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Oct 22 2021, 07:11 PM) *

Call his bluff and schedule for December I bet he will fit you in before then .

I did end up scheduling with him, hope you're right. Still looking for other options in the meantime
volksswag63
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 22 2021, 07:43 PM) *

Welcome to 914world @volksswag63

Is it currently running?
Fuel Injection or carbs

Maybe share a picture of the engine from top view.

I’m sure with your experienced with VWs, 914 should be easy for you also.

Honestly, I'm not THAT experienced with VWs. I mostly just drove them. I could do minor things, but am definitely not a mechanic.
914_teener
Ok...so you want suggestions per your post:

If you are not mechanically inclined here you go:

Looks like a good tub and I'm not sure how much you paid for it. The best thing would have been to have an expert who knows 914's do a PPI before you buy a car....especially a P car. There is an old adage that the cheapest Porsche will be the most expensive car you ever own. So unless you are willing to learn and work on your own car then maybe the old adage isn't the case.

Get the car running just good enough to have fun with it. As such time it is not fun anymore or you don't have enough funds to continue to pay a mechanic then I'd find a buyer after it is running or sorted. My quess would be around $3,500 bucks or so...given there are no major problems.

Not sure what you mean by a "rats nest" for the wiring. These cars are rather simple to troubleshoot....if you know what you are doing. Again if there are burned wires or other splices then that is a sign that there were serious issues going on like a past fire or rust ect. going on.

If you decide to keep it for a while meaning 10 years or so. Expect to spend some coin. I'd try and restore the car to it's stock form. There are few survivors left that are stock and they are a lot of fun in stock form plus they hold their value better if that is your goal to hold onto it.
To have somebody else do this....and this isn't meant to scare you or discourage you between 10 and 20k. Maybe this is why you "feel" way over your head?

welcome.png

This is a great site and if you are willing to learn and do the work....well worth it.

Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.