Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting on the 74LE engine bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
robkammer
Hey All! I'm getting back into my new LE after finishing the brakes and putting some miles on the car. In prep for my winter list I adjusted the valves and am installing new plugs, wires and hoses. The old plugs looked great when they came out with a nice light brown color. When I pulled the air filter housing i found the valve in the picture just laying loose and some pretty sketchy wiring that comes from the regulator board.
Can someone send a picture of where this valve should be mounted? The bracket and screws are attached but I don't see where it may have been mounted.
The small gauge white wires seem to send info to the main boards 5 pin connector from various senders. These wires are cracked and also just laying on top of the motor. The easy fix would be some liquid tape but I'm wondering if this is a part of the harness that can be easily replaced.
I recall seeing a link to someone who made some really nice new harness sections but since I've been away I can't seem to find it.
Thanks in advance for any help!
JeffBowlsby
Rob, that AAR has been rigged to work, but is incorrect for your car. You need the Djet version where that is the Ljet model. You will also need to reverse the wiring hacks done to use that AAR.

The photos also show that your wiring harnesses are beyond serviceability. See the broken wires? Hardened shattered outer casings? Missing rubber boots? Engine heat has done its damage. Let me know if you want to replace them, I would recommend it.
iankarr
...and in case you didn't know, @jeffbowlsby is that "someone who makes the nice new harnesses." They're works of art and solve a bunch of mysterious issues caused by old wiring. Highly recoomended.
robkammer
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Oct 23 2021, 10:32 AM) *

Rob, that AAR has been rigged to work, but is incorrect for your car. You need the Djet version where that is the Ljet model. You will also need to reverse the wiring hacks done to use that AAR.

The photos also show that your wiring harnesses are beyond serviceability. See the broken wires? Hardened shattered outer casings? Missing rubber boots? Engine heat has done its damage. Let me know if you want to replace them, I would recommend it.

Good to know on the AAR. What is it's function? The car runs really well as it is, but all I see is a hot mess when I look in the engine bay. If someone can send a pic of the correct AAR in the correct spot it would be great.
Those small whites seem to merge into a larger harness, you can probably tell me what I would be getting into if I want to rewire. I've never replaced a complete car harness but did plenty on old Triumph motorcycles.
I would like to avoid pulling the motor if possible, even though everyone says "it's easy!"
Jeff,, can you send me the link to your catalog?
JeffBowlsby
The AAR is a controlled intake air source for cold starting, temperature dependent as monitired and controlled by the thermoswitch. Engine cold, its open allowing air to the intake, as the engine warms up, the valve closes. The L-Jet variety is functionallythe same, just different harness and vacuum hose connections. Which is the hot mess you noted.

The AAR connects to the ignition harness which connects to the 12 pin connector on the relay board. The fuel injction harness is a separate harness connecting to the relay baord at the 4 pin connector.

These two harnesses are easy enough to replace. ABout 15-30 minutes for each harness. No need ot pull the engine and they are not the main chassis harness.

I would be happy to send you a full quote for thes two harnesses with shipping and payment details if you send me your zip code. PM me with your email address and zip code. My harness catalog is linked in my signature: https://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/
robkammer
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Oct 23 2021, 01:14 PM) *

The AAR is a controlled intake air source for cold starting, temperature dependent as monitired and controlled by the thermoswitch. Engine cold, its open allowing air to the intake, as the engine warms up, the valve closes. The L-Jet variety is functionallythe same, just different harness and vacuum hose connections. Which is the hot mess you noted.

The AAR connects to the ignition harness which connects to the 12 pin connector on the relay board. The fuel injction harness is a separate harness connecting to the relay baord at the 4 pin connector.

These two harnesses are easy enough to replace. ABout 15-30 minutes for each harness. No need ot pull the engine and they are not the main chassis harness.

I would be happy to send you a full quote for thes two harnesses with shipping and payment details if you send me your zip code. PM me with your email address and zip code. My harness catalog is linked in my signature: https://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/

Thanks Jeff, that would be great, I'm in Vermilion Ohio 44089
Craigers17
Here are the best pics I could find showing the AAR location in my old 914. Hope these, in conjunction with Jeff's diagram, help out. Good luck!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

robkammer
Thanks! So clean! Is that a new throttle body or were you able to clean the original?
Craigers17
QUOTE(robkammer @ Oct 24 2021, 11:01 AM) *

Thanks! So clean! Is that a new throttle body or were you able to clean the original?

Same throttle body, rebuilt by a guy named Phil in New Mexico. He goes by Whip168 on this site. Many have used his service and he does a great job.
iankarr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBdjLrxvBIM
Beach914
Planning to go up to norcal this weekend to see my Bumblebee for the first time since i bought it. It has an idle problem when the engine at running temp. Look forward to sharing info and getting probelms solved with other LE owners so i can enjoy finishing up the restoration.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.