Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door latch removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mlindner
Can the inner door latch be removed with out taking the door glass out. Thanks, Mark
dr914@autoatlanta.com
certainly

QUOTE(mlindner @ Oct 23 2021, 09:42 AM) *

Can the inner door latch be removed with out taking the door glass out. Thanks, Mark

mlindner
How George. roll window up all the way, remove glass guide/track in front of latch? Mark
FlacaProductions
Yeah - perhaps this is what Geoge meant to say......

Do you have a Haynes manual? If not - they're great reference - from page 203 - I haven't done it but this seems fairly clear - I hope this helps.

1 - remove the door trim panel and PVC sheeting
2 - remove the window rear guide channel:
-wind the window fully down.
-pull back the window weather strip until the window guide piece moves freely.
-remove the crosshead screw from the guide piece.
-pull the guide piece upward and outward.
-remove the crosshead screw and washer at the bottom of the guid channel on the lower edge of the door.
-remove the guide channel thru the opening in the door inner panel.

Installation is the reverse of removal - apply a trace of general purpose grease to the inner edges of the guide channel and ensure that the speed nut is in position before the channel is installed. if necessary, adjust the bottom fastening screw for the satisfactory operation of the window.

3 - wind the window fully up
4 - detach the spring clip from the pull rod.
5 - move the lock latch to the vertical position, remove the three crosshead screws and pul the lock downwards out of the door.

6 - installation is reverse of the removal procedure - but ensure that the lock action is checked before the trim panel and guide channel are installed. also check that the opening lever is correctly aligned with the safety lever.
robkammer
QUOTE(mlindner @ Oct 23 2021, 12:42 PM) *

If you;re referring to the door lock and latch assembly it's actually pretty easy unless you've got Popeye arms. I was able to replace mine without removing anything except the door panel. There was no plastic liner but 014 rubber has a nice kit for when you put it back together. I bought repro handle and lock assemblies from a well know supplier and I did have some fitment issues that required some WV engineering and Dremel work.
The door latch was just gummed up and after soaking it for a day in simple green and then lanolin lube it was back to like new.
Good luck!
mlindner
Thanks Brian, thats what I needed. Best, Mark
FlacaProductions
To quote an earlier post: "certainly"

Glad it helped!
mlindner
OK, finally removed my inner door latch. I found if I just unscrew the window channel on the bottom of the door and then leaned it forward that gave me the room to push lock/latch in and down and out. Did not have to remove channel.
Thanks robkammer and FlacaProduction. Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.