Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this part for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
What is this? Took this off my car (73 -1.7) months ago and cant remember from where I removed it. Looks like a cover for something??? Thx for the help.
EJP914Click to view attachment
914werke
inspection plug rear engine case
L-Jet914
I didn't realize there was supposed to be little plug/cover back there. Now I definitely know mine is missing on my 74. Slightly different part number for the 1.8 it seems 021 101 109 A vs 021 101 109. To top it all of it's NLA. Maybe we could get Mark at 914Rubber to make these. I don't know what the difference is between the two parts besides the supersession A suffix.
jvmarino
It would be great if 914Rubber made them. Mine broke a few years ago due to the plastic getting too old and brittle, so that hole has been open since then. I am sure I could plug it with something else, but I like keeping as much original look as possible.
bkrantz
Porsche/VW part number 021 101 109. NLA.
wonkipop
part # i get from catalogue = 021 119 233A
(timing hole plug for fan shroud looks to me in photo or am i looking at that wrong?).

from PET and also from VW type 4 parts manual.
but -- NLA even using the part # i give.

you might pick one up second hand?
https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/cap-fan-ho...-021-119-233-a/

agree - good idea for 914 rubber to remake (either item).
think market is restricted to 914 engine and 411/412s for timing plug.
could be wrong but bus engine does not have the timing hole drilled out of the fan shroud casting? its the kind of thing you would expect the vw bus parts industry to have reproduced if it was needed?
Mikey914
Something looks a little off. The 72 I have in the garage has the threaded version of the cap that looks like the late version that has the vent tube.

This is what I have.
I'll check the 71 tomorrow as it's bone stock. The 72 is pretty much unmolested so I think this is the correct part, at least for a 914.

jvmarino
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 26 2021, 04:36 AM) *

Something looks a little off. The 72 I have in the garage has the threaded version of the cap that looks like the late version that has the vent tube.

This is what I have.
I'll check the 71 tomorrow as it's bone stock. The 72 is pretty much unmolested so I think this is the correct part, at least for a 914.

That threaded cover is the timing hole cover at top of housing. The other cover is some kind of inspection hole cover on face of flywheel housing.
Shivers
smile.gif Click to view attachment
brant
Mark. I have a clean one I could send you for tomorrow inspection/prototype consideration
ejm
That hole was used to access the flex plate/torque convertor bolts on the VW 411/412's with automatic transmission. The smaller hole on the other case half had a sensor used by the early 70's VW computer diagnosis system to measure engine rpm and had a similar plastic cover. The transmission housing has several openings so aside from keeping random debris from getting behind the flywheel from the engine side there's no real reason the holes need a cover.
wonkipop
i had a look again at my engine.
yes i see the little cap up there on the back of the case at the flywheel.
still got my plug there. its much smaller than the fan shroud timing plug.

my timing plug which has a 4 "blade" top has long had one of the blades fractured.
since i have owned it if i recall right. about 32 years. be nice to get a new one.
bit hard to find something like that in aus.

these sort of items would be handy for restorers.
the plastic does go brittle after all this time. very fragile items now.
Mikey914
Yes I can see now. Fairly simple to produce. Drop me a sample if you have one handy, and I can start the process.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.