Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission parts question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
targa72e
I was going thru my stash of transmission parts and picking parts to use for future build. I found that I had 3 synchronize blocks that were slightly different.

Most of the blocks have a triangle on top.
Click to view attachment

But 3 have a triangle on the side

Click to view attachment

The ones with triangles on side are also a slightly different shape. Instead of the protrusion being square it is slightly angled.
Click to view attachment

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to this type of block?

In looking at intermediate plates I have one that is thinner with a different bearing mount with only 4 bolts. Any idea what this is from?
Click to view attachment

Thanks,

john
oldie914
Looks like your intermediate plate is for a 901 aluminum case transmission. Thinner than the plate for the magnesium 911 and 914 cases.
targa72e
Thanks for the identification of the intermediate plate.

john
oldie914
I looked through my cans of 914 and 914 syncro parts. I try to keep them separated because Porsche stopped developement of the 911 transmission when they switched to the 915, while VW continued to made detail changes to some of the parts that are hard to see.
That said; the blocks in my 911 can were shaped like your 3 strays. The blocks in my 914 can were shaped like the majority of your blocks. Both should work OK.
targa72e
Thanks for the reply. That got my looking at what is currently being sold as a replacement. Looking at a couple sites they had the same part listed for 911 and 914. All the new parts listed are the shape of my 3 strangers. I am curious if there is any advantage to this style?

Thanks,

john
oldie914
I don't think there is any difference in function of the 2 different blocks.
VW did make a change in the shape of the other block and the brake bands though which is important.
I have attached pictures of the syncro parts for a 914 gear (left) and a 901 gear (right). Don't know the year for the 914 gear but the 901 gear was manufactured in September 1969. VW probably used the 901 style block in early production and changed later.
I have never seen a problem with the early blocks, but there I have seen discussion about broken early style blocks. Would probably only happen on 2nd or 3rd gear with very hard usage.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
targa72e
Thanks, I was aware of the early and late style blocks and bands. The later style with larger lower block is supposed to be better from what I have read. I have both styles in my stash and was picking the best of the late style larger units to use in a future transmission. That is when I found the three upper blocks that have a different shape that started this thread.

john
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.