Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Euro turn indicators
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MR914-Germany
You can now convert your US-side markers into Euro turn indicators with the new lenses from EUROLENS with "Economic Commission for Europe" certification marks: "E3" = Italy and "5": additional flashing light for side

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Cool glad someone made them. I did have a request to make them, but didn't pencil out.

PM the info I'll buy some add some to the website.
raynekat
Seems like these went over like a lead balloon. To me these are way better looking than the stock US orange side marker lens. Hopefully they are orange-red enough....

Even though I'm w/o 914 currently, I'll likely buy a set to check them out.
Mikey914
I'm working to bring some in.
I'll get you a set. O have a few things to send back too.
Mark
Mikey914
Duplicate
GregAmy
Ok, I'll bite...what's the difference?

And why?
raynekat
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 29 2021, 06:02 PM) *

And why?

Check this post:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=335322&hl=

Briefly, US version:

Click to view attachment

vs the coveted, but very rare "Italian" version:

Click to view attachment

The Italian lens has the vertical fluting vs the US hexagonal pattern with the lens.
Your choice which is more attractive.

Here are the current lineup for front side markers:

Click to view attachment

The clear was lens never a thing (after market), but some like it (as I do).
raynekat
Eurolens has a big selection of light housings and lens for the 914.

Here is their catalog:

https://www.eurolens.it/pdf/PORSCHE-2021.pdf
wonkipop
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 29 2021, 07:02 PM) *

And why?

USA side marker lights were required to be passive reflectors as well as illuminated lights. the prismatic moulding is a reflector prism and not a diffusing prism.

same goes for tailights for USA cars - red side portion is non prismatic ("clear") red.
illuminated at night. the passive reflector part is the thin band of horizontal prismatic reflector lines visible up the side (i think). someone could correct me if i am wrong, the passive reflector could have been in behind as part of the tailight body?

euro tail lense is overall prismatic diffusor in the amber side section so it works as an indicator visible at the sides as well as rear but not as a passive reflector. its the wrong color to be a passive reflector. passive rear reflector must be red for europe, uk, j and aus. that red reflector is the small one next to the reversing light.

the usa has very different light set up regs when compared to the rest of the world.

Click to view attachment

the fluted amber wart was fitted to J spec cars as it was a requirement in J for an indicator to be visible on the side of the car (for expressway lane changing).

i've seen photos of different J 914s that show a variety of side indicator lights (warts).

the original tokyo motor show car had very small circular side lights.
hard to know it that was a porsche factory set up or something installed in J by the distributor. would have been the first car into J and very early on.

Click to view attachment

a 6 in tokyo.
possibly a euro spec car privately imported and fitted with aftermarket side indicators?

Click to view attachment

early on one of the original assessment 914/6s delivered to aus distributor came via J distributor and was fitted with amber fluted indicator warts similar/same as italy spec.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Note sidemarkers on the Japanese cars were also wired and functioned as TS, as George at AA mentions in the thread linked above.
GregAmy
"Meh"...?

That's one of those things that only another 914 owner would notice. And I didn't.

Y'all startin' to sound like the 911 crowd at my local Connecticut PCA meetings, all discussing how cool their paint and option codes are...make sure to bring your Ray Bans and string-back leather gloves...

smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 30 2021, 10:10 AM) *

"Meh"...?

That's one of those things that only another 914 owner would notice. And I didn't.

Y'all startin' to sound like the 911 crowd at my local Connecticut PCA meetings, all discussing how cool their paint and option codes are...make sure to bring your Ray Bans and string-back leather gloves...

smile.gif

laugh.gif So true.
rgolia
@Mikey914 - I'll take a set to when you get them in. Thanks
wonkipop
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 30 2021, 08:10 AM) *

"Meh"...?

smile.gif

if you import a car from another country/market as i did more than 30 years ago and have to road register it in compliance with your country's set of design rules you learn quickly the nut case details bureaucrats pick over. arguments over whether lenses were marked with a correct australian code (which they could never be - it was a 914) or if not what was accepted as equal european code marking.

eg it was not permitted by the aus regulation authorities in my state to connect the side lamps (with the american lens) to function with the front indicators because the lens i had was a passive reflector and was not a diffusing indicator lens! blink.gif

the color was right the construction was wrong. although we had had them connected to work as indicators rather than side markers i had to disconnect them and cap the wires to meet the standard during the engineering inspection.

in a weird twist the inspector made reference to special allowances for private import cars to allow discretion and not have visible side indicators. we solved the problem of the lens that way - made them non functional against better judgement.

at that time in 1991/92 i was completely unaware of the J or Italian wart lenses. people did not have easy access to the kind of info.

about 3 years after i got my car on the road a good friend of mine acquired the original assessment 914/6 that came into australia. the first thing we noticed was the side warts worked as indicators. then we looked closely at the lens and saw it was different to USA side lights. back then we still didn't know what the lens was or where it came from.
an inquiry with a retired porsche service mechanic got us our answer. he told us it was a Jap part.

why i remember all the crazy detail about lens construction.
functional knowledge that i didn't really want to have.
and about a million miles from what concourse kooks go on about.
raynekat
Not sure which is more fascinating to me? The topic or the comments themselves.
Mikey914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 30 2021, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 30 2021, 10:10 AM) *

"Meh"...?

smile.gif

laugh.gif So true.

Pretty harsh, but if the shoe fits…….
italux
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 29 2021, 11:34 PM) *

same goes for tailights for USA cars - red side portion is non prismatic ("clear") red.
illuminated at night. the passive reflector part is the thin band of horizontal prismatic reflector lines visible up the side (i think). someone could correct me if i am wrong, the passive reflector could have been in behind as part of the tailight body?

yes, you are right. The US version of the taillight has an inner reflex-reflctor on the side, positioned exactly under the smooth non-prismatic part of the red lens. The reflector is missing in the light you posted.
wonkipop
QUOTE(italux @ Nov 17 2021, 02:24 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Oct 29 2021, 11:34 PM) *

yes, you are right. The US version of the taillight has an inner reflex-reflctor on the side, positioned exactly under the smooth non-prismatic part of the red lens. The reflector is missing in the light you posted.

its probably still in behind the euro lens in the photo @italux ?
those are my original USA taillight bodies (w/modified wiring) fitted with euro lenses.

trying to remember how it worked in the USA.
side red sections that wrap around are the red tailights on all the time that flash only to indicate? brake lights are the section of red between that and reverse lights and are not on at night except when you brake? its a long time ago. sad.gif

in australia (also euro setup). the little red section is on at night as the tail light and glow brighter with the brakes. the amber indicator only comes on when you indicate and is never on with the tail lights except when used.
italux
[/quote]

its probably still in behind the euro lens in the photo @italux ?
those are my original USA taillight bodies (w/modified wiring) fitted with euro lenses.

[/quote]

It is possible, but it is not visible as the amber lens sector is prismed. What I see is the red US version that is clearly without the internal reflector.
italux
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 17 2021, 02:40 AM) *

trying to remember how it worked in the USA.
side red sections that wrap around are the red tailights on all the time that flash only to indicate? brake lights are the section of red between that and reverse lights and are not on at night except when you brake? its a long time ago. sad.gif

in australia (also euro setup). the little red section is on at night as the tail light and glow brighter with the brakes. the amber indicator only comes on when you indicate and is never on with the tail lights except when used.

USA SAE DOT rules provide for the presence of side markers on the car. These side markers have a dual function, parking light and reflector, red rear side and orange front side. This type of device is not foreseen in Europe as mandatory.
So the round side light of the 914 has different functions:
- reflex reflector and parking light in the USA
- only flashing direction light in Europe, I don't know why it was only foreseen for Italy and Denmark since in 1970 Europe had already adopted common rules in terms of vehicle lighting.
The front parking light in the USA is orange, while in Europe it is colorless. This explains the difference in the front turn signal between the US and Europe versions.

The other main difference is in the color of the rear turn signals, red in the US and orange in Europe, but for some years now in the US they have also accepted the color orange.
Then there is the adoption of the third additional stop lamp which in Europe took place only 15 years ago, while in the USA it had been adopted a long time before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.