Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crank Seal (Fan Side) Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
I've rebuilt too many type I's, but not had occasion to split the case on a Type IV. Can the front crankshaft oil seal (fan blower impeller side) be replaced without splitting the case?

It seems to be the source of biggest oil leak from what I can see as there is a great deal of "goonge" below it, but not above it.

Thanks

Brian
Mueller
Hey Brian....

are you sure it's not the oil cooler seals??

No idea on the r&r of the seal in question, hopefully someone has a positive answer...
Dave_Darling
You don't wanna try it with the engine installed.

With the engine out, it's not very hard. The Kap'n has a listing for an Audi (?) seal that fits nicely and is supposed to be an upgrade over the stock part.

Once you get the fan hub off, you pull the old seal out with your favorite implement of destruction, then tap the new one in with a mallet and a pipe. Or just a mallet, if you're feeling brave.

Getting the fan hub off is easy if you use the three fan mounting bolts as a "poor man's puller". Just put some large pieces of metal behind them so they don't dig into the crankcase.

--DD
Brian Mifsud
Hi Dave,

Cool, thanks. I have the right hub puller fortunately. Just wanted to make sure the seal wasn't some weird arrangement where I'd need to split the case to pull and reinstall.

Mike,

Am changing all the seals anyhow, but thanks for tip on oil cooler. The volume of oil all over the place (especially INSIDE the fan housing) is strange. The low pressure area for fan intake draws from FRONT of engine, but it almost seems like the oil is getting sucked forward (from seal) into cooling housing and blown all over the place. Engine is out of car. Runs well so no good reason to split case.. just cleaning it up and resealing everything. New hoses, sheetmetal paint job and good to go.

Thanks

Brian
Bleyseng
Usually the front seal is ok, its usually the oil cooler seals and the oil pressure sender that leaks and gets sucked/blown all over.

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.