Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: new sibling for the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Just thought I'd share my recent car purchase - an 1981 VW MK1 Cabriolet. I was sort of shopping for a coupe/GTI, but this came up at a decent price so I'll play this this for a bit.

It's my first VW. My brother had a MK2 GTI in high school that we worked on though.

I'm surprised how big it is. Way taller than the 914 and a bit taller than even then 997.

What are the best forum(s) for these cars? VWVortex? Others?

-Steve
siverson
Ooops - forgot the photo!
siverson
Vroooom
siverson
Vroooom
siverson
Not a 914
Series9
If I can find a 16V Scirocco in that condition, that will be my new daily driver.
Root_Werks
Always liked many of the MK1 models. I remember wanting a black/red trim MK1 GTI so bad back in the 80's. These days they go for bucks.

Nice score! Looks really clean.
siverson
Here was the auction and more photos...

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/36WWpDZl/1...bit-convertible

Anyone know what this part is? I tried to not make this a project!!! smile.gif

-Steve
siverson
I think it goes here...
914rrr
Nice clean one! Owned 3 Mk1 Cabbies myself, as well as Mk1 diesel Rabbits, Caddies, Jettas, etc. Been awhile for me, but I think VW Vortex would be a good starting point. You might also check out www.thesamba.com for parts, etc.
Jett
One of my favorite cars of all time, next to the 914, and 510.
Andyrew
I bought one as well and can’t believe how much fun it is to drive for so little money!

Such a fun comfy car! Congrats!
L-Jet914
QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 27 2021, 01:05 PM) *

Here was the auction and more photos...

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/36WWpDZl/1...bit-convertible

Anyone know what this part is? I tried to not make this a project!!! smile.gif

-Steve

Coolant temp sensor possibly? The VW part number looks too boogerd up to read even when clicking on the photo. If you can clean up that pipe and obtain the part number, run it through Google to see what it is.
UPDATE: Did some searching and came across a website with info on Cabriolets. Found said part 056-919-367 or 056-919-369 under the engine sensors, senders and switches section. Oxygen sensor thermo switch (K-Jet lambda) 1980-1983. It bypasses O2 sensor input during cold running for open loop fuel enrichment base on coolant temperature. Location: Left side of the cylinder head in one of the heater hoses. Original part is NLA there is an updated part is plastic and will require wire retrofit. per www.cabby-info.com/electrical.htm The replacement sensors which are available by themselves now are part number 025906041A.
IPB Image
siverson
Wow thanks for the research and info! That is very helpful! I'm on it!

-Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.