Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine bay stud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Quinn Moore
Engine is out for a rebuild, builder gave me a short list of things I can do in the meantime. One being engine bay sound pad is not secured very well in "certain areas". Which is true. So two things...the relay board cover is a real b@&ch to get off....what is the stud above it for?
Click to view attachment
Thx, QM
dr914@autoatlanta.com
unscrew the knurled nut then twist the relay board cover from the back over towards the right side of the car and it will come out after lifting (you can also unscrew the two voltage regulator screws. The hole in the engine insulator pad is for the seat belt retractor

QUOTE(Quinn Moore @ Oct 27 2021, 02:54 PM) *

Engine is out for a rebuild, builder gave me a short list of things I can do in the meantime. One being engine bay sound pad is not secured very well in "certain areas". Which is true. So two things...the relay board cover is a real b@&ch to get off....what is the stud above it for?
Thx, QM
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 27 2021, 05:06 PM) *

unscrew the knurled nut then twist the relay board cover from the back over towards the right side of the car and it will come out after lifting (you can also unscrew the two voltage regulator screws. The hole in the engine insulator pad is for the seat belt retractor

QUOTE(Quinn Moore @ Oct 27 2021, 02:54 PM) *

Thx, QM

Thx doc. So...was the pad originally "glued" (or adhered to) the wall? I see 4 or 5 retaining buttons. Or both? The pad looks misaligned or at at a minimum, drooping on the right side. (No adhesive, it's loose).
Click to view attachment
Thank you,
QM
burton73
This is the stuff that works well. Amazon $13.00

It is hard to mussel the pads you have a tab on the top right side and there are buttons but these are hard to get right.

Bob B

Click to view attachment
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 27 2021, 06:01 PM) *

This is the stuff that works well. Amazon $13.00

It is hard to mussel the pads you have a tab on the top right side and there are buttons but these are hard to get right.

Bob B

Click to view attachment

Thx Bob. Cool thing (but a bad thing), engine is out. So plenty of room to work.

QMClick to view attachment
NARP74
Where did that pad come from? I'll be pulling my engine soon and my pad has already fallen off so I removed it.
bkrantz
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Oct 28 2021, 04:49 PM) *

Where did that pad come from? I'll be pulling my engine soon and my pad has already fallen off so I removed it.

I would recommend finding a pad made with closed-cell foam or other non-absorbent materials, so it can't hold water against the firewall.
SKL1
I wouldn't even bother with a pad- it only attracts moisture and you know what that leads to...

It's not like we can make a 914 quiet!!

I never bothered to replace it on my '73 when I restored it, and my '71 never came with one. Don't miss it.
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Oct 28 2021, 05:49 PM) *

Not sure where it came from as it was installed when I purchased the car.

Good suggestions below, thx.

QM
VaccaRabite
I have the closed cell foam one that 914Rubber sells.

I have been trying to make my 914 more quiet and adding the backpad helped a LOT. I used wide fender plugs to hold it in place, as well as the clips. No glue, so I can take it out and clean behind it when needed.

Zach
NARP74
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 29 2021, 11:39 AM) *

I have been trying to make my 914 more quiet and adding the backpad helped a LOT. I used wide fender plugs to hold it in place, as well as the clips. No glue, so I can take it out and clean behind it when needed.

Zach

Thank you
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Oct 29 2021, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 29 2021, 11:39 AM) *

Zach

Thank you

I like that idea. Thx Zach

QM
Mikey914
Wait til you switch to a real pad. The carpet that's there may do something, but the pad will be even better.
Quinn Moore
Thx everyone. Pad off, thoughts on how to remove the adhesive? Looks to me like 3m rattle can stuff. I can web search that, but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas/experience with removing it.

(New,pad,plugs and velcro ordered).

Thx,

QMClick to view attachment
bkrantz
I would start with 3M adhesive remover. It often does the job, and is safe on paint (but always test first).
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Nov 1 2021, 08:55 PM) *

I would start with 3M adhesive remover. It often does the job, and is safe on paint (but always test first).

Thx, I'll give it a try.

QM
Quinn Moore
Got the "glue" (adhesive) off...tried 3 different products. The winner was Goo Gone. Beware, when I came back into the house, my wife said "you smell like an orange smoothie,did you get me one, too?"

New pad going in early next week.

QMClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
That looks great - clean as a whistle. Great job.

I remember years ago spending hours with a toothbrush and mineral spirts and thinner trying to get the nasty undercoating off the firewall. It was nasty.
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 5 2021, 05:47 PM) *

That looks great - clean as a whistle. Great job.

I remember years ago spending hours with a toothbrush and mineral spirts and thinner trying to get the nasty undercoating off the firewall. It was nasty.

thumb3d.gif

Thx,

QM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.