Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rare NOS part
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
I’ve been holding onto this for the right project. #2178 is the worthy recipient of this NOS ventilation control.
IronHillRestorations
The money shot! I didn’t know until I opened the packaging that it came with a new chrome bezel. Ever see one this perfect? I know it might not be correct for a 6, but this project left “correct” a long time ago.
Cairo94507
Wow- that is nice.

gms
I hate to pee in your cheerios but that is not correct for a 1970 car
blink.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(gms @ Oct 28 2021, 06:56 AM) *

blink.gif

Read post #2 Mr 914-6! biggrin.gif
gms
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 28 2021, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Oct 28 2021, 06:56 AM) *

blink.gif

Read post #2 Mr 914-6! biggrin.gif

busted.gif ooops
Jett
Nice, would look good in my 75.

Here is an earlier but not earliest model.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373733546046?fits=...%3ABFBMqr2_hplf
porbmw
Don't think that is correct for a 6, either??? beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
The custom 2.7 with EFI and COP ignition, the 16" wheels, Boxster brakes, aren't correct either biggrin.gif 6 resto-mod
Jett
QUOTE(porbmw @ Oct 28 2021, 01:47 PM) *

Don't think that is correct for a 6, either??? beerchug.gif

Agreed, 73 IIRC
rgalla9146
the oiliest ?
Note the part number
Unobtanium-inc
Cool piece, nice to see they never changed up the inventory tickets.
L-Jet914
Interesting that even the NOS late ventilation control doesn't have a ball detent to match the dentents on the controls so it doesn't overshoot each fan speed position, but the earlier ones as pictured have a detent clip to match the detents on the control assembly. I wonder if someone could recreate that brass/metal detent clip from the early controls so those of us with the late model controls could rivet it in. See marked sections in the photos. I don't know why they did away with that piece.
JamesJ
Has anyone restored their ventilation control faceplate or had it done? I may make an attempt myself.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ Oct 28 2021, 08:43 PM) *

Interesting that even the NOS late ventilation control doesn't have a ball detent to match the dentents on the controls so it doesn't overshoot each fan speed position, but the earlier ones as pictured have a detent clip to match the detents on the control assembly. I wonder if someone could recreate that brass/metal detent clip from the early controls so those of us with the late model controls could rivet it in. See marked sections in the photos. I don't know why they did away with that piece.

very interesting.
When I took the early piece out to get the pics I operated the top slider and
felt that the last detent had much greater 'feel'..... the first two had barely any.
I don't know why that is. I'll find out.
This is why all used units have melted boards between the three contact strips for fan
speed.
I've disassembled these in the past to restore and agree that a strong leaf spring,
lubed proper size ball and lubed cables will provide greatly improved detent action and
increased contact life.
Arno914
Very interesting, indeed! You learn something new almost every day about our cars. Thanks for sharing. This forum is awesome! aktion035.gif
L-Jet914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 28 2021, 08:21 PM) *

very interesting.
felt that the last detent had much greater 'feel'..... the first two had barely any.
This is why all used units have melted boards between the three contact strips for fan
speed.
I've disassembled these in the past to restore and agree that a strong leaf spring,
lubed proper size ball and lubed cables will provide greatly improved detent action and
increased contact life.

What I don't get is why Porsche did away with the ball detent from the earlier ventilation controls on the later models and keep the detents molded into the controls, unless it was their way of cost cutting.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ Oct 30 2021, 12:03 AM) *

very interesting.
speed.
increased contact life.

What I don't get is why Porsche did away with the ball detent from the earlier ventilation controls on the later models and keep the detents molded into the controls, unless it was their way of cost cutting.

Not a big issue to many 914 owners here I guess.
The easy (?! ) solution is to harvest a top arm from an early control and install it
in your newer car. Early cars are the most often parted out. Still not a fun job.
The hard part is reducing all the built in resistance of the cable and the flaps
while increasing detent feel.

Pezz
QUOTE(Arno914 @ Oct 28 2021, 11:54 PM) *

Very interesting, indeed! You learn something new almost every day about our cars. Thanks for sharing. This forum is awesome! aktion035.gif

Copy that Arno, 914world is awesome. Thanks all. aktion035.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 30 2021, 08:52 AM) *

QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ Oct 30 2021, 12:03 AM) *

very interesting.
speed.
increased contact life.

Not a big issue to many 914 owners here I guess.
The easy (?! ) solution is to harvest a top arm from an early control and install it
in your newer car. Early cars are the most often parted out. Still not a fun job.
The hard part is reducing all the built in resistance of the cable and the flaps
while increasing detent feel.

Use a good Teflon bike lube on the cables and pivots.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.