Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 rear bumper repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NineFourteenSix
Hi everyone!
I have some damage to the left rear of my 914's bumper (see pics). I already bought a replacement for the rubber top part, but the lower metal part is dented and scratched. I think I can fill or pound out the dent, but I need to know what is a good brand/color of paint to match? Obviously it is black! dry.gif But what sheen (flat/satin?) and different paint brands have different blacks.

Does anyone have any experience painting one of these black bumpers? Alternatively, does anyone have a good source to buy a replacement lower rear bumper piece? I have seen some on eBay, but they look pretty rough and I would be back to the question of paint anyway.

It is a 1971 model if that matters.
Cheers!
Jeff

windforfun
Mine are satin. Minor metal damage. Are you looking for a rattle-can brand suggestion? Once fixed, you might want to have a local body shop shoot it. My 2 cents.
NineFourteenSix
Yeah, I was thinking rattle can or air brush. If it doesn't come out well, I would take it in though. I have used touchupdirect in spots on another car with some success. But in this case, I have no color code to give them to match. Maybe just satin black would work. Probably have to paint the whole bumper, so it's not so much a matter of matching the existing color, but matching the color of the new rubber upper piece I guess.

QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 28 2021, 01:58 PM) *

Mine are satin. Minor metal damage. Are you looking for a rattle-can brand suggestion? Once fixed, you might want to have a local body shop shoot it. My 2 cents.

IronHillRestorations
A commercial hardened urethane is the best, but you'd have to take it to a body shop.

A PCA guy used to recommend a spray can SEM satin black.

I've been using VHT satin finish epoxy, which is also a spray can. I've only used it for a couple years, so I'm not sure how it's holding out long term.
mepstein
Your local paint shop can make you a two part epoxy in a can. ~$25
bkrantz
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 28 2021, 07:55 PM) *

Your local paint shop can make you a two part epoxy in a can. ~$25

Two-part epoxy spray cans are also available online.
https://www.amazon.com/UCS-Hot-Rod-Satin-Bl...812&sr=8-11
NineFourteenSix
Thank you everyone! I had been looking at the SEM product, but wasn't sure. Based on the recommendations here - I have ordered a can of SEM and a can of the UCS two part epoxy. When they arrive, I will do some testing and let you know of the results. The body shop will always be an option too wink.gif
Thanks!
gereed75
If the rest of the bumper top is good, that chunked out corner can be repaired 3M marine 5200 works great

Having trouble pasting a link to a thread I did several years ago, but it is on here and it works

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=240803&hl=

That bumper top fix still looks fine these many years latter
roblav1
PPG DP90 black is pretty close and is extremely durable.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(NineFourteenSix @ Oct 28 2021, 12:51 PM) *

Hi everyone!
I have some damage to the left rear of my 914's bumper (see pics). I already bought a replacement for the rubber top part, but the lower metal part is dented and scratched. I think I can fill or pound out the dent, but I need to know what is a good brand/color of paint to match? Obviously it is black! dry.gif But what sheen (flat/satin?) and different paint brands have different blacks.

Does anyone have any experience painting one of these black bumpers? Alternatively, does anyone have a good source to buy a replacement lower rear bumper piece? I have seen some on eBay, but they look pretty rough and I would be back to the question of paint anyway.

It is a 1971 model if that matters.
Cheers!
Jeff

@NineFourteenSix - Jeff, I might be a little late to this and I don't know where in San Diego you are located, but try 'Meza Paint' in the San Marcos / Escondido area. I just repainted my bumpers recently, and they have a whole selection of colors and brands. I think I might have made a post on my build-thread, and used SEM trim-black.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.