Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve adjustment question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dumbjim
I attempted to adjust my valves today...the key word being "attempted". What is the best method for pulling the wire bails down that hold on the valve covers? I tried looping a shop towel through the bail to pull down, but no luck. Once the valves are exposed, how do you get to them without removing the heat exchanger. Gonna' rest up, and try again tomorrow
BeatNavy
I usually wedge a decent size screw driver in there to take some pressure off the bail before pulling it down with a shop rag or something else.

Can't describe how you get access to the valves. It's something you're just going to have to try to do through trial and error. It can be done, however.
bkrantz
I have always used the "official" 914 tool, the bent rod that comes in the stock tool kit.
IronHillRestorations
You need a stubby screwdriver and the correct feeler gauge. Read up on Cap’n crusty’s valve adjustment procedure. It’s easier and faster. Clean up the covers really good and use 914 Rubber’s gaskets. I glue the gasket to the cover, but not everyone does.
IronHillRestorations
That’s great @bkrantz ! I’ve never heard that but it’s perfect. A screwdriver works too, you might have to walk the bail down a little on each side.
You need a stubby screwdriver and the correct feeler gauges to adjust them. Read up on Cap’n crusty’s valve adjustment procedure. It’s easier and faster. Clean up the covers really good and use 914 Rubber’s gaskets. I glue the gasket to the cover, but not everyone does.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.