Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top-Main Targa Seal-Windshield Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesJ
Hello All,
I will be having a new windshield installed and will attempt to install a new main targa seal as well. I was planning to have the windshield replaced first, but a friend suggested that I install the main targa seal first and get the targa top on the car prior to having the windshield installed to properly support the A-pillars and top connecting structure. My friend thinks this will make for a better windshield installation.
Any thoughts?
mate914
Kind of... Or you could just leave the old seal in with the top on.
After windshield is replaced, then you can change Targa seal.
Matt flag.gif
914e
Are the A pillars moving? If so there is other work that needs to be done before the windshield.
JamesJ
The A pillars are not moving and I should have added that I just had the windshield frame and cowl painted so there is no main targa seal on the car.
iankarr
Your choice on what you do first. The two installs aren’t related
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(914e @ Oct 30 2021, 08:21 AM) *

Are the A pillars moving? If so there is other work that needs to be done before the windshield.

The A pillars flex a good bit on our cars. That's one reason why we don't generally recommend using urethane windshield adhesive, but the older butyl adhesive. The butyl has more give, and won't as easily crack the windshield when the A pillar flexes.

I can see that you might not want to have the top off when you install the windshield due to that.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.