Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 consoles anyone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
our lady just finished them thought it would make a good picture, we also make the center hinged map box, the console heater lever, the lever bezel, the three instruments, the instrument bezels, the sending unit the "taco" plate, and the o ring.Click to view attachment
Van B
I need everything but the gauges themselves. Any chance you’ll have a kit offering soon? And maybe some install instructions?
windforfun
Very nice George, but my foot is too big.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
jagalyn
The seams on AA’s consoles don’t replicate the factory heat sealed seams. These are for driver quality cars and would not meet a factory quality expectation.
914werke
In all fairness, having gone down this rabbit hole myself, no one Ive found accurately reproduces that (fake seam stitching ) process.
914Sixer
Seam is a non starter for most people. The fact that George has replicated everything need is nothing short of amazing. A tip of the hat, Texas style. biggrin.gif
jagalyn
I’ve seen one recovered factory console that was really nice. It had two sewn seams at the edge instead of one that kept the ‘squared off’ edge that the factory had. AA’s are a single sewn seam and it gives a pointy edge instead of the factory squared off edge. Even though the double seam didn’t match factory, the double seam did deliver on the squared off edge that mirrored the factory console and looked really good.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Does get me thinking my 914 didn't come with a center console, but very cool to know I could buy everything.

I wouldn't want factory gauges in there. Something more like:

Cyl Head Temp
EGT
Oil Temp

That'd be cool.
autopro
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 5 2021, 10:10 AM) *

Does get me thinking my 914 didn't come with a center console, but very cool to know I could buy everything.

I wouldn't want factory gauges in there. Something more like:

Cyl Head Temp
EGT
Oil Temp

That'd be cool.

My car didn't come with a center console either. I bought this one from AA and I am very happy with it. It was a while ago but I remember they had an option for different size gauges.
Coondog
Custom, one off Patrick Motorsport center console in my 914
Heated seat buttons, 30 second delay courtesy lights, Italian leather with custom stitching and a CLOCK that works.
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The custom Patrick one is very nice indeed. Our console is now available with the gauges, the temp sending unit and plate, the console heater switch, and soon the map box. Also we have the factory sized oil PRESSURE gauge if you prefer. Available separately are

factory sized console clock
console heater switch with 90 degree bend
console swtch slot plastic bezel
factory sized volt meter
factory sized temp gauge
Jeff's factory duplicate wiring harness
reproduction temp sensor "taco plate"
reproduction temp sensor
reproduction o ring for plate
reproduction console map box
reproduction factory sized oil pressure gauge
vdo oil pressure sending unit
jagalyn
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 5 2021, 12:48 PM) *

Heated seat buttons, 30 second delay courtesy lights, Italian leather with custom stitching and a CLOCK that works.
Click to view attachment

That’s what I was talking about. So much better than AA’s single seam. If the stitching were in black most wouldn’t know it’s not factory where the AA console it’s easy to tell it’s not factory. Nice job @Coondog! So much nicer! Beautiful!!!
jagalyn
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 5 2021, 12:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That’s what I was talking about. So much better than AA’s single seam. If the stitching were in black most wouldn’t know it’s not factory where the AA console it’s easy to tell it’s not factory. Nice job @Coondog!
BillJ
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Nov 5 2021, 01:03 PM) *

I’ve seen one recovered factory console that was really nice. It had two sewn seams at the edge instead of one that kept the ‘squared off’ edge that the factory had. AA’s are a single sewn seam and it gives a pointy edge instead of the factory squared off edge. Even though the double seam didn’t match factory, the double seam did deliver on the squared off edge that mirrored the factory console and looked really good.

That was probably the one i had done custom based on my design. I had a local shop match the silver paint on the car with a nice silver shiny thread. Came out pretty nice i thought.
jagalyn
QUOTE(BillJ @ Nov 5 2021, 01:33 PM) *

That was probably the one i had done custom based on my design. I had a local shop match the silver paint on the car with a nice silver shiny thread. Came out pretty nice i thought.

This in my opinion is really nice. Whoever you had do this did a really nice job.

Click to view attachment
jagalyn
This is the factory seam versus the AA seam. No comparison.

Click to view attachment
BillJ
The factory didnt even really sew it per se right? Its a heat weld i think.
jagalyn
QUOTE(BillJ @ Nov 5 2021, 01:44 PM) *

The factory didnt even really sew it per se right? Its a heat weld i think.

Yes. You are right. But the factory has square corners which provide a crisp clean look... the AA is fluffy and pointy and the seam wavers and does not look factory.
BillJ
Also want to thank George for producing these. Great support and commitment (should be committed? Lol)
jagalyn
George, Have you ever thought of producing the center console with the double seam like above (with black stitching)? That would be awesome!!!
Literati914
George, are you gonna offer any of the smaller factory style “cubby” consoles? I’d be in for two.

rgolia
QUOTE(BillJ @ Nov 5 2021, 02:33 PM) *

@BillJ - can you provide the name and location of the shop that did this work.
jagalyn
QUOTE(rgolia @ Nov 5 2021, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(BillJ @ Nov 5 2021, 02:33 PM) *

@BillJ - can you provide the name and location of the shop that did this work.

@BillJ
That would be nice to know...
914werke
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Nov 5 2021, 11:41 AM) *

This is the factory seam versus the AA seam. No comparison.

Click to view attachment

The difference is more than you see. idea.gif
If you've ever recovered one of the OE ones youll see that there are these plastic pieces that provide the defined square profile.
Im guessing that the reproductions dont incorporate that (added) feature.
jagalyn
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 5 2021, 03:18 PM) *

The difference is more than you see. idea.gif
If you've ever recovered one of the OE ones you'll see that there are these plastic pieces that provide the defined square profile.
Im guessing that the reproductions don't incorporate that (added) feature.

Yep... but the double seamed one pictured above sure simulates the square edge of the factory console... With the center seam, it bunches up making a pointy seam with all the vinyl fabric on the backside... by doing the side seam, the top can be squared off like the picture.

The other two side seam photos are leather so maybe that can be stretched differently than vinyl... sure looks nice though.

It would be good if you or AA could do these with the double side seam with black thread. It would be much more authentic looking.
sb914
Click to view attachment a little different and not perfect but I like it .
jagalyn
QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 5 2021, 03:41 PM) *

a little different and not perfect but I like it .

Very Nice. Looks Great.
BillJ
Donald's Auto Upholstery
3436 Performance Rd, Charlotte, NC 28214
704-392-2931

He even fabricated some brackets i was missing and did a nice velcro fastening. If i knew george was making a thousand bracket sets i would have bought them instead lol

Tell him Bill with the silver and plaid seats 914 sent you.
jagalyn
QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 5 2021, 03:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment a little different and not perfect but I like it .

Sb914
Who did you have cover your console?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.