Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911s and 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
emerygt350
Probably going to be thrown out of the PCA and banned from the narp club but I think the styling of the car on the right was dead on...

It's just so rebellious for a 914 and so much more interesting than modern 911s.

Click to view attachment
Van B
The 935 slant nose was a high point of Porsche design for sure. But going slant nose comes with some obligations. The car has to be fast and difficult to control IMO.
burton73
Back in the day, like 1979 when I got my first 914, the Chalon had a great look to me. That was the bodies from Mitcom with one of their Advertising paint schemas.

Later when I learned that bad fit parts or paint or cars looked real bad.

The body design is something that I think from the cars that came later this is kinda where the 914 was going. Lots of people think the Chalon is total crap in design.

Bob B
emerygt350
Yeah, it is too bad quality was poor on aftermarket. Mine has one of those mitcom color schemes and is from near where mitcom was operating and considering the only previous owner.. I suspect it is a mitcom job.

I just have a soft spot for that late 70s early 80s design. If the 914 had survived to see it, I would like to think it would have looked like mine. And not like a 924. Not saying the 924 looks bad, just not the same car.
lesorubcheek
The Chalon kit certainly had me salivating back in the day! Here's a page from a 1980 Automotion catalog.
Click to view attachment

Dan
914Sixer
The year was 1989. I had to have one, so I built it.
emerygt350
That's awesome, a chalon for the 90s too.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Oct 30 2021, 04:29 PM) *

Yeah, it is too bad quality was poor on aftermarket. Mine has one of those mitcom color schemes and is from near where mitcom was operating and considering the only previous owner.. I suspect it is a mitcom job.

I just have a soft spot for that late 70s early 80s design. If the 914 had survived to see it, I would like to think it would have looked like mine. And not like a 924. Not saying the 924 looks bad, just not the same car.

Mitcom's (Allan M.) HQ was on Santa Monica Bl. West L.A., afaik thier "Chopper-gun" glass shop was on Broadway in Gardena.The QC on the glass was decent>>not perfect, probably because the body shop would fit + finish each car. Side note; Mitcom built body parts for many teams 911RSR, IROC, 934 & 935 of that era.
KELTY360
I don't hate it, but consider that Porsche thought the fenders of early 911s and the 914 were important as markers for car location in corners. They obviously abandoned that cue later on but I guess that was part of the evolution.
emerygt350
I put my lights up like the Miata folks once during autocross, I thought it was helpful.
barefoot
Well, I know is't blasphemy to the real NARP crowd, but I kinda like my somewhat customized version.
The accordion look aft of the front bumpers is gone, & the rear fender cut-outs are a very good place for an aux oil cooler.
Barefoot smile.gif
Click to view attachment
emerygt350
What does your front valence look like. I have suspected that it might be possible to date the kit based on the design.
AZBanks
I have always liked the Chalon kit, I guess that is why my next 914 project is getting one.

In looking at a LOT of Chalon pictures, the one thing I've noticed is that they don't look good with normal 914 tire sizes. They look like clown cars with tiny wheels. The fender openings are much bigger than the stock 914 fender openings so they need much bigger diameter wheel/tire combo's to really look good.

Clown Car:
Click to view attachment

Not Clown Car:
Click to view attachment

Barefoot, IMHO, Your wheels and tires are big enough but I think you need spacers to push the rear wheels/tires out closer to the edge of the fender.
Optimusglen
Generally, when done well, I kind of like the Chalon kit, the only thing that throws me is the Chalon side skirt treatment. It doesn't flow well with the rest of the design.
mepstein
I wanted one back in the 80's.
Once you see how the kit is installed, they are less attractive.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 1 2021, 07:24 AM) *

I wanted one back in the 80's.
Once you see how the kit is installed, they are less attractive.

agree.gif

Really wanted one back in the early 90's until a buddy of mine bought one in the late 90's. It looked good, but removing so much metal on a unibody car is noticed. Not in a good way.

Well done kits seem pretty rare these days. Almost a piece of history.
burton73
QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Oct 30 2021, 05:19 PM) *

The Chalon kit certainly had me salivating back in the day! Here's a page from a 1980 Automotion catalog.
Click to view attachment

Dan

This is what I am saying, IMHO the paint scheme works great with this car as far as the lines go. I would remove and put on real factory 924 or 911 bumpers and rubber acordian ends because that is what ages poorly and look fake in the glass. If the pieces are too long cut and have someone weld then shorter.

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.