Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Request assistance on tune up for 2.4 FAT Performance engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Magicscott1
Folks,

I'm still getting use to my 914 and loving this ride. Still have some sorting to do and starting with a tune up and fluid changes.

I've search this site multiple times looking for tune up numbers for a 2.4 FAT Performance engine and can't get clear data. The engine has Weber carbs, MSD, and Tech Adapt. This 2.4 engine was originally a 2.0 Type 4. Do I use the original spec numbers for a factory 2.0 engine or something different? Chime in if you know the numbers or can help get me up to speed on tuning this engine. I kindly request numbers for the following:
Valve clearance?
Spark plug gap?
Points setting?
Desired Dwell numbers/range?
Timing advance in degrees BTDC to set on my timing light with engine at 3200 RPMs?

Thanks much!

Magic

BillJ
I would first try and get that from the PO and/or the builder. If they cant/wont help you then you should at least have a qualified shop give you a solid baseline to work from. Big 4s are tempermental beasts (personal experience here) that can bite you fast if you get something wrong.

Lots of great experience here as well on the site. I would look to some support from seller or shop first.
mate914

I'm not an expert, just trying to help

Valve clearance? Camshaft specific due to engine changes
Spark plug gap? How they come out off box
Points setting? You don't have this with your different ignition.
Desired Dwell numbers/range? Same as above
Timing advance in degrees BTDC to set on my timing light with engine at 3200 RPMs? Less than 20?

Matt flag.gif
mmichalik
I would think that FAT would be willing to help. Have you contacted them? If it's a standard build of theirs, they might have that information handy.
It's worth a shot at the very least.
BeatNavy
Good suggestions. Every build off of stock is at least slightly different. Jake always says "it's in the combo" and "give the engine what it wants." How's it running now? Take a baseline on those variables, e.g., timing, and adjust as necessary.

Start from stock (as best you can) where you don't have any info, and go from there.

Having said that, here are my two cents, and worth every penny blink.gif :

Valve clearance is based on pushrod material. Chromoly are "loose zero," but stock is going to be .006 in, IIRC. Better to be a little loose and noisy if you don't know for sure. Maybe FAT can shed some light here on what they use.

I've never used MSD, so take with grain of salt, but I though dwell didn't matter as much, or at all, with MSD. I also thought they had a recommended spark plug baseline gap of like .050 or something. It might matter what version of MSD you have, but hopefully someone here can shed some light.

Timing and mixture -- again, give the engine what it wants. Trial and error from baseline.

Magicscott1
Thanks everyone! I have not contacted Fat Performance yet. I'll reach out to them for the numbers but I would still appreciate the DIY/914 World folks sharing how they are setting up their hopped up Raby or Fat Performance engine. What works and what did not work? I definitely appreciate the valve clearance setting of .006 inches from Beat Navy and the reminder that loose is safer than too tight (can cause damage) valves. Tell me your tuning specs and what you learned as you changed/adjusted timing, plug gaps, etc.

Thanks again,

Magic
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.