Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-1935 Ford Indy car in my neighborhood
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
Hi All,
Just got back from being out of town. Ran into one of my car friends who lives in the neighborhood. I've know AL over (40) years. We ran around together in our younger years (while single). AL just got his 1935 Indy (streetable) racer out of storage. This was the first time in 2-years it's been out. He took it to the local cruse in.
I got to sit in it and rev up those beautiful sounding FlatHead pipes "Sweet Music".

Hope you guys don't mind seeing about (16) pictures of history.

Hope I remember it's history.
The car ran in Indy in 1934 as the Bohnolite Car. I believe it was run as a Ford Proto-Type that year. Don't remember how it placed.

In 1935 it ran as the 1935 Ford Indy Car Special and this is how it looked back in 1935

In 1937 it ran as the Chicago Raw Hide Special.

I believe it ran Indy only (3) years.

Al bought the car in 1988 after reading the Antique Hot Rod section. It was the last line item in a garbled up bunch of junk. It read, FS one original Ford Indy racer 2-place call----

AL bought it and since restored it to it's present condition. We could spend all day with wonderful stories, but here are a few pictures.

Tom (me sitting in #24)
BTW
Did you know the Indy cars had (2) people in the cars from 1930 to 1937. One driver and one mechanic.

TJB/914
pic #2
AL & Suzie Attee from Plymouth, MI An old friend and car buddy.

I am going to ask AL if he will drive #24 to our Aug. 5-6 & 7th Midwest meet.

I think we can let him park it nearby.
TJB/914
pic #3
TJB/914
pic #4
Front Grill (from a 1935 Ford Car)
TJB/914
pic #5
Check out those dual exhaust pipes, Sweet Music.
TJB/914
pic #6
TJB/914
pic #7
TJB/914
pic #8
Ford V/8 Flathead modified for Indy.
TJB/914
pic #9
See those special hand made shocks.

Here is a story. AL found most of the Ford Parts ended the #'s with -R

He was told later by a retired Ford Rouge Machinest. All these parts were special made at the Rouge and stamped with the -R after each part. Henry Ford looked over everything at the time.
TJB/914
pic #10
Rear shocks, regular Ford issue Houdillia (spelling??) made in Monroe, MI
TJB/914
pic #11

Interior
TJB/914
pic #12
Pedal Assembly
TJB/914
pic #13
Gas Cap.

Long story behind this gas cap. It was missing when AL purchased the car. He was showing it at a special event. A former retired Ford guy came up to him and said "Hey" I have the gas cap at home. What a wonderful find for AL

It's special and beautiful
Joe Bob
You can park next to me anytime....
TJB/914
pic #14
Gas Cap again
TJB/914
pic #15

We came a long way for Tech. Inspection

Here is the 1935 tech sheet
TJB/914
pic #16

Tech sheet in 1937

That's all for now, Hope you liked the pictures.

Tom
BTW
Mike, I like her hub caps better.
TimT
Very cool
Flat VW
WoW! cool post. wub.gif

john
Verruckt
That is one sweet ass car! Love the pics of the old stuff. biggrin.gif
MattR
thanks for sharing the pics!

too bad he cant drive out to wcc next year smile.gif
ConeDodger
Somewhere in the basement I have a picture that was taken at about that time of Indy cars racing at a track in Minneapolis at what is now the Mpls/St. Paul Airport. The picture was taken before the race and shows the drivers and mechanics lined up for a photo in front of the cars. This was the first and only Minneapolis 500. I wrote a story for a magazine about the track but it is lost somewhere. I believe the magazine was called Midwest Motorsports. As I recall, the track had green dyed concrete to cut the glare. The venue opened the year after the first Indy which I don't recall now what year that was and it only ran one race. The winner was the same guy who won Indy that year. Ray something if I recall correctly. If your friend would like I can have the photo copied for him so he has a little more memorabilia from the era...

Rob
campbellcj
Very cool, thanks!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 27 2005, 05:23 PM)
Did you know the Indy cars had (2) people in the cars from 1930 to 1937. One driver and one mechanic.

Yup, until some smart SOB did away with the ride-along mechanic by sticking a mirror on his race car, so he could tell when people were coming up behind him. Lightened up the car by one person-weight, probably made the aero a little better too. He won, due in part to the first ever automotive rear-view mirror.

BTW, that's one heckuva nice car!! Those 30s racers all have a real grace to their lines.

--DD
Rand
Cool thread. Thanks for posting.

Pedal cluster is interesting... Throttle *between* clutch and brake?
Lou W
Rand   Posted on Jul 27 2005, 09:55 PM Cool thread. Thanks for posting.

Pedal cluster is interesting... Throttle *between* clutch and brake?

Yah, I noticed that too, interesting.

Great pictures and story. smile.gif
Tab914
Nice pics. Cool car.

I noticed that you took your shoes off before you got in the car. I love it when guys respect great looking cars.

Thanks for the pics. beer.gif
messix
thank you for the nice trip in to history.

some times i wish i had been born 50 years earlier.
zymurgist
Awesome pictures... Al has a very nice ride. pray.gif
mudfoot76
The first official Indy 500 was in 1911

Indianapolis Motor Speedway history
SGB
ohmy.gif
Thanks!
Mueller
way too cool...that is a car you could park in your living room for nice display pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.