Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 914 MOMO Hub Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sithot
I'm on my second 8002 and it's not going on without a sledge hammer which means I'd need a slide hammer to get if off! WTF.gif

First vendor suggested filing the innards to fit the shaft. I called BS on that as I've installed more MOMO hubs and wheels than I can remember. Fit has never been an issue. This is dead original very early '73 2.0.

NRG and Classic Garage have options but what gives with the 8002's?
mepstein
Any hub should be a slip fit. If you need to force it, it's wrong. If there is a bur that needs to be filed, that's fine but I would not modify a hub to make it work.

I think you run the risk of damaging the steerer bearings with too much force.
porschetub
QUOTE(sithot @ Nov 3 2021, 03:03 AM) *

I'm on my second 8002 and it's not going on without a sledge hammer which means I'd need a slide hammer to get if off! WTF.gif

First vendor suggested filing the innards to fit the shaft. I called BS on that as I've installed more MOMO hubs and wheels than I can remember. Fit has never been an issue. This is dead original very early '73 2.0.

I purchased one off ebay which was sold as "genuine Momo" it was very rough in finish and fit which I compared to the one I have off a Mk2 VW Golf...clearly not genuine and IMO most likely a pirate part.
Contacted the seller and all I got was a nasty reply to my polite question,I was then forced to spend some time sorting it to fit , I was pretty pi#sed off TBH.
PCH
Early hubs are different from the later hubs. Off hand, I don't remember the part numbers of the hubs but the early hubs are really hard to find.
sithot
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 2 2021, 03:20 PM) *

QUOTE(sithot @ Nov 3 2021, 03:03 AM) *

I purchased one off ebay which was sold as "genuine Momo" it was very rough in finish and fit which I compared to the one I have off a Mk2 VW Golf...clearly not genuine and IMO most likely a pirate part.
Contacted the seller and all I got was a nasty reply to my polite question,I was then forced to spend some time sorting it to fit , I was pretty pi#sed off TBH.

This hub came from Luis at LTB. Promised to fit. The 1st one came from a well known "vendor". Same issue.
Classic Garage? NRG?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
sithot
There is a circlip that could be the issue.
Luke M
I just fitted a Momo 8002 to my brothers 74 914. It too was a tight fit. It would only start and stop on the splines. I ended up cleaning both the steer shaft and hub splines with a round wire brush then sprayed a little wd40 on the splines. The hub goes on and comes off no problem now. I also had to open up the horn contact hole that goes through the hub. It was way off by a good 1/8''. The QC at Momo has gone down the tubes.
sithot
QUOTE(Luke M @ Nov 6 2021, 09:38 PM) *

I just fitted a Momo 8002 to my brothers 74 914. It too was a tight fit. It would only start and stop on the splines. I ended up cleaning both the steer shaft and hub splines with a round wire brush then sprayed a little wd40 on the splines. The hub goes on and comes off no problem now. I also had to open up the horn contact hole that goes through the hub. It was way off by a good 1/8''. The QC at Momo has gone down the tubes.

Filed the end grooves and wire brushed the internal section. Used Kyrtox on the steering shaft splines. I worked it on and off with a fair amount of effort needed to back it off.
Still not satisfied with the fit but it will come off more easily with a wheel attached.
(The upper Circlip #3 is the stop for the hub for any wheel.)

I did drill the wire hole as this one was similar in condition to yours. A poor casting or finishing step.

It will work but I'm not impressed.

To be continued....
sithot
Did get a hub from the nice folks at Classic Garage. Well designed piece but unfortunately had taken a beating along the way to me.
They refunded the purchase and will notify when new stock is available.
It seems that the stars just won't line up for the time being. headbang.gif

Carry on...
914Sixer
This is what I bought for the Hella/Momo wheel I have. No problem with it.
bdstone914
I would take a shape needle file and make a light pass on each of the groove in the Momo hub. Could do the same on tbe shaft.
pfreiburger
QUOTE(Luke M @ Nov 6 2021, 07:38 PM) *

Yup, same here, on my hub adapter the hole was at placed least 1/8" off. On the positive side, mine went on the splines smoothly. Overall though, I agree, this is not the MOMO quality that I remember.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.