Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh no! Foam is everywhere!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
We all know and love that foam the factory stuck in hidden places that traps water and causes rust... I knew about the front and rear of the inner rear fenders, and the ends of both trunk lids... Brace yourself, then check out the pic below! I was hoping to eliminate the foam during my restoration, but now it seems hopeless.

user posted image
Brent
That pic is damn scary!
URY914
So what was the purpose of the foam? Sound deadining(sp), fill voids to prevent crap from getting in, or just to piss us off?
bd1308
the germans thought it would be a funny joke. They laughed as they glued everything in. They're still laughing.

The MPS was a BOSCH joke. They're luaghing too.
JeffBowlsby
Thanks for bringing this up. The diagram is from DGVWP buch...I really hope Andy will chime in and translate the symbol legend text for us.

I am not at all sure that foam is everwhere as shown, we have seen photos of some of these sections without foam in place. I am also told that there is foam in some of the rolled reinforcements in the F+R hoods, which this diagram does not appear to indicate.
lylegd
It looks like instructions for spraying undercoating in/on the car. I wish I could read German.
URY914
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Jul 28 2005, 04:12 AM)
I am also told that there is foam in some of the rolled reinforcements in the F+R hoods, which this diagram does not appear to indicate.

I seen foam in the hood rib supports on my "73.

Paul
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 27 2005, 06:49 PM)
Brace yourself

no worries. those are the access points to spray in "Hohlraumversiegelung" but that was, as far as i know, never done by the factory but instead was an option for the dealers to put in ...

i honestly don't think there are a lot of 914s on the road that have all those cavities sprayed out.

the purpose of the foam is rust-prevention. it works great for a couple of years until the foam get's old and brittle and starts sucking up water ...
cool.gif Andy
JmuRiz
Z-Bart anyone ohmy.gif
bondo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jul 28 2005, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 27 2005, 06:49 PM)
Brace yourself

no worries. those are the access points to spray in "Hohlraumversiegelung" but that was, as far as i know, never done by the factory but instead was an option for the dealers to put in ...

i honestly don't think there are a lot of 914s on the road that have all those cavities sprayed out.

the purpose of the foam is rust-prevention. it works great for a couple of years until the foam get's old and brittle and starts sucking up water ...
cool.gif Andy

Sweet, I feel better now. So what are the known foamed locations? I only know of the ones I mentioned.
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 28 2005, 09:28 AM)
So what are the known foamed locations? I only know of the ones I mentioned.

that's the factory foam. rear fenders, hood supports etc. that stuff went in at the factory ...

wink.gif Andy
URY914
The parts car that I have was Z-bart'd. They sprayed everything, A-arms, steering rack, trailing arms, engine tin... What a mess.

It still rusted. just rusted from the inside out. Not the outside in. rolleyes.gif

P
SirAndy
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jul 28 2005, 09:43 AM)
The parts car that I have was Z-bart'd. They sprayed everything, A-arms, steering rack, trailing arms, engine tin... What a mess.

agree.gif

but the chart that jeff posted has nothing to do with undercoating.
Hohlraumversiegelung is *not* undercoating.

cool.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Jul 28 2005, 05:12 AM)
I really hope Andy will chime in and translate the symbol legend text for us.

your wish is my command ...

Jeroen
I may be off, but AFAIK, Dinol (mentioned in the picture) is the same or similar to waxoil, which is commonly used in the industry to protect hollow spaces in chassis'
Katmanken
Yeah,

The Dinotrol cavity waxes make an awsome rustproofing material. They had the highest rating in a British magazine for protection.

If somebody wanted to make some money, they might consider importing that stuff to their poor Dinol deprived buddies in the US. We don't have much choice over here.

I think it comes in spray cans too.

Ken
bd1308
heck yeah! I'd buy some.....
charliew
I know this is an old thread, I came here from a newer one but I am wondering if the wax has been put in the cavities and you weld or cut on these cavities will they catch on fire?
sww914
QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 4 2008, 10:00 AM) *

I know this is an old thread, I came here from a newer one but I am wondering if the wax has been put in the cavities and you weld or cut on these cavities will they catch on fire?

Yes. I've done it. As I mentioned in another thread, VW uses a lot of cavity wax. I've set a couple of VW's on fire with a plasma cutter cutting out frame rails that needed to be replaced. When you're cutting and welding you always need to keep an eye and your nose open for fires. I knew it might happen so I had a water hose and an air hose next to me to take care of it as well as a fire extinguisher nearby. I was able to use air on one and water on the other without any damage, no big deal.
toon1
One would think that if you filled the massive areas of the fender wells with foam it would have a great affect on sound deadning.
SirAndy
QUOTE(toon1 @ Sep 4 2008, 10:54 AM) *

One would think that if you filled the massive areas of the fender wells with foam it would have a great affect on sound deadning.

I don't recall any cavities in the fender wells ...
confused24.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.