Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to fix door gaps.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tazz9924
So i found a new way today to fix the door gaps on out cars. Lets say you have 3/16 too much gap on one side. So the main thing you have to do is grab the bucket of mud and lay it on THICK. if you are fancy you can cut a line in it to mimick a panel seam.
... or at least thats how my dapo did it. I mean look at this; just some a plus work!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rjames
icon8.gif
Arno914
Ouch! headbang.gif

Here in Germany it is more or less common sense that cars are beeing fixed this way in the States. dry.gif
General warning if one imports a vehicle from over the atlantic is: "Watch out for bondo!"

Sorry to see this and I hope you get it fixed right this time.

Arno
TRS63
I saw the same gap adjustment on mine headbang.gif headbang.gif
Good luck for fixing it!

Antoine
mmichalik
I had the same thing on mine, both rear quarter panels. It was a mess......
We brought everything back down to metal and realized that the damage wasn't that bad. After re-assessing the damage, we straightened out the metal the old fashioned way: Hammer's and dolly's.
It's a shame that these cars were treated so poorly in the past......
76-914
Looks like the repair I once saw on a car from MN. ar15.gif
914werke
QUOTE(Arno914 @ Nov 4 2021, 12:52 AM) *
Here in Germany it is more or less common sense that cars are beeing fixed this way in the States. dry.gif
General warning if one imports a vehicle from over the atlantic is: "Watch out for bondo!" Arno

dry.gif What makes you think this behavior is specific/exclusive to the US poke.gif
Superhawk996
Not a new way to fix . . . this is as old as plastic filler itself.
tazz9924
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 4 2021, 10:04 AM) *

i know laugh.gif i just really appreciate the craftsmanship on this one. it had me fooled
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 4 2021, 01:04 PM) *

Older than that... the old school hot rodders did this in lead before bondo existed. That's where the term "lead sled" came from.... a badly repaired car body.

In an attempt to limit the amount of filler in Betty's 914, they are actually cutting loose the left rear fender and remounting it to fix the gap between the rear deck lid and the fender. piratenanner.gif

Yes, it is extra work, but in the long run, it will be a much better fix.

Clay
SirAndy
I still remember that day way back when i first got into auto cross and Bill Pickering gave me some magnetic car numbers because i had forgotten my blue tape.

Couldn't get them to stick anywhere on the car ...
biggrin.gif blink.gif huh.gif icon8.gif headbang.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 4 2021, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Arno914 @ Nov 4 2021, 12:52 AM) *
General warning if one imports a vehicle from over the atlantic is: "Watch out for bondo!" Arno

dry.gif What makes you think this behavior is specific/exclusive to the US poke.gif

i can't speak for the USA but i do know that the british favoured compacted newspaper inserted into rust craters as a foundation for applying a bog (queens english for bondo) finishing skin.

re that car above. you have to admire the effort to simulate a panel weld seam in synthetic cake mix. beerchug.gif

930cabman
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 4 2021, 02:52 PM) *

I still remember that day way back when i first got into auto cross and Bill Pickering gave me some magnetic car numbers because i had forgotten my blue tape.

Couldn't get them to stick anywhere on the car ...
biggrin.gif blink.gif huh.gif icon8.gif headbang.gif

Had to be the magnets lost their strength ....
bkrantz
Bondo should be sold only to licensed users and by approval.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.