Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VDO parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jims914
Looking for a source for VDO gauge part.
Looking for the cup or hat type red, green, amber diffusers.
Tried Helier and Palo Alto.
Thanks for any response.
FlacaProductions
That's a tough get. It's either rescue them from dead instruments, make your own or ask a friend who works in plastics(!) to do some for you - or switch out to just flat acrylic which is not OEM appearance but is very easy to procure from amazon, etc. You would probably want to "scuff" them up a little bit with some high grit sandpaper to give them a frosted look.

I had a fellow lister here pour some acrylic ones for me after pulling a mold from a sacrificial one but the final finish work was pretty time-consuming for anything more than just a couple - sanding them into shape and proper thickness and then ending up with the right 'frosted' finish.

on mine, i also replaced the usually-white one with a red for visual continuity - and i put an LED behind it as an additional indicator for another function. they white lenses can be VERY brittle - but so can the red and green ones.

I think mine turned out great but i think if i were to do it again - and originally i had designs on maybe having these done in mass quantities - i'd just switch over to some 1 or 2mm flat, colored acrylic stock and glue them in.

UNLESS someone like @mikey914 and 914rubber would be able to do this in quantity at a reasonable cost? I've wondered where places like North Hollywood and Palo Alto get their stuff...I suspect they have a stash that they are raiding....

Click to view attachment
jims914
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 4 2021, 06:14 PM) *

That's a tough get. It's either rescue them from dead instruments, make your own or ask a friend who works in plastics(!) to do some for you - or switch out to just flat acrylic which is not OEM appearance but is very easy to procure from amazon, etc. You would probably want to "scuff" them up a little bit with some high grit sandpaper to give them a frosted look.

I had a fellow lister here pour some acrylic ones for me after pulling a mold from a sacrificial one but the final finish work was pretty time-consuming for anything more than just a couple - sanding them into shape and proper thickness and then ending up with the right 'frosted' finish.

on mine, i also replaced the usually-white one with a red for visual continuity - and i put an LED behind it as an additional indicator for another function. they white lenses can be VERY brittle - but so can the red and green ones.

I think mine turned out great but i think if i were to do it again - and originally i had designs on maybe having these done in mass quantities - i'd just switch over to some 1 or 2mm flat, colored acrylic stock and glue them in.

UNLESS someone like @mikey914 and 914rubber would be able to do this in quantity at a reasonable cost? I've wondered where places like North Hollywood and Palo Alto get their stuff...I suspect they have a stash that they are raiding....

Click to view attachment

Thanks for responding. And the gauge you have is very nice.
Palo Alto is not into parts, but they will refurbish your with new diffusers.
I might have to machine some out of plastic myself.
Thanks again
Jim
jims914
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Nov 4 2021, 06:14 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks for responding. And the gauge you have is very nice.
Palo Alto is not into parts, but they will refurbish yours with new diffusers.
I might have to machine some out of plastic myself.
Thanks again
Jim
Mikey914
I do have the plastic sheet that could be used. I tried it and wasn't too satisfied with the look.

The key is mass quantities. I to can cast in small quantities, but as you may have noted the unit cost can add up.

May be worth doing a Group buy on a "set".

To do this Id be looking at 200 sets at $5-6 a set.

That wouldn't even cover tooling but Id be game if there was even close to that much interest.

Mark
jims914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 4 2021, 07:48 PM) *

I do have the plastic sheet that could be used. I tried it and wasn't too satisfied with the look.

The key is mass quantities. I to can cast in small quantities, but as you may have noted the unit cost can add up.

May be worth doing a Group buy on a "set".

To do this Id be looking at 200 sets at $5-6 a set.

That wouldn't even cover tooling but Id be game if there was even close to that much interest.

Mark

Hello Mark,

Looking into the colors of acrylic plexiglass lucite to machining some up.
For the fuel-temp gauge combo. looking at red, green, amber.
I think there is a need for it. The gauge soroses will not supply them.
Thanks again
Jim
Mikey914
These will need to be cast or injection molded. The acrylic isn't an exact match.
Close, but not exact and if machined will require polishing.

Interested in doing these if there are enough takers.
Arno914
If you cut out from plastic stock, it may be worth a try to sandblast the surface for a "matte" look?
Mikey914
Yes but with that kind of effort its just easier to cast.
jrmdir
Have you seen this? Click on Learn More and then Buy Now and they show a list of retailers (including Palo Alto) Hopefully one or more of them will agree to order and sell parts.

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/accessories.html

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Makes this real easy, just need to bring some in biggrin.gif
jims914
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Nov 5 2021, 09:24 AM) *

Have you seen this? Click on Learn More and then Buy Now and they show a list of retailers (including Palo Alto) Hopefully one or more of them will agree to order and sell parts.

Click to view attachment

Hello,
I have seen this and tried emailing them with no answer ?
jims914
QUOTE(jims914 @ Nov 5 2021, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(jrmdir @ Nov 5 2021, 09:24 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Hello,
I have seen this and tried emailing them with no answer ?

Found the diffusers on Amazon.
No help from VDO.
jims914
Found and placed an order for the diffusers on Amazon, hope they are the correct ones for the fuel-temp gauge ?
FlacaProductions
that's a good find but i am guessing they won't be right - i hope i'm wrong. I think these are the ones that are more domed.

sithot
Years ago I had to make all of the gauge lenses for a vintage Ducati. I bought plastic rulers from an office supply. lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.