Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For our Down Under members
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
@wonkipop

Thought this would tickle you... check out the license plates on the wall.

Click to view attachment

Clay

wonkipop
thanks mate

the QLD plate is apt.
used to be known as "the police state" in the dark days of the 70s.

ClayPerrine
I would love to know how they ended up in Texas.

And are there a bunch of right hand drive cars running around here?????

Clay
wonkipop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 6 2021, 07:21 AM) *

Clay

so would i.

i hear there is a cult following in the USA for certain fords.
mainly the falcon hard tops from the early 70s.
i can easily imagine a texan cruising around in one of those and getting a kick out of it.

can't think what else guys from the USA would really be after from aus.

the traffic back 20 /30years ago was one way. cars were being picked out of the USA by aussie enthusiasts (like me). its possible cars that came out of the USA 20-30 years ago are heading back again? some cars are in an international market like 914/6s say.

maybe some americans are getting a kick out of driving a RHD car same way the japanese and aussies do with LHD. not a lot of fun driving in the gutter is all i can say.

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 6 2021, 05:28 PM) *

Clay

so would i.

i can easily imagine a texan cruising around in one of those and getting a kick out of it.

the traffic back 20 /30years ago was one way. cars were being picked out of the USA by aussie enthusiasts (like me). its possible cars that came out of the USA 20-30 years ago are heading back again? some cars are in an international market like 914/6s say.

maybe some americans are getting a kick out of driving a RHD car same way the japanese and aussies do. not a lot of fun driving in the gutter is all i can say.

Click to view attachment

In the early ‘90s I was organizing car shows for a Mercury Cougar club. It became a popular show for local Aussie Falcon owners. One year we had 7 of those RHD beasts with their 351 Cleveland’s. Very interesting muscle cars.
wonkipop
@KELTY360

yeah, those falcons are the gear.

originally the big swollen rear quarters looked a bit strange back in the day when ford sold them off the lot with standard rubber. the back guards were jacked out to take BIG rubber for the bathurst gig. they only looked right with the big tyres on the back.

the car doing what it was built for.
(still remember watching this on the tele as a young guy).
you can't beat the sound of a clevo opened right up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLk1EiK5R7s

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 6 2021, 07:28 PM) *

Clay

so would i.

maybe some americans are getting a kick out of driving a RHD car same way the japanese and aussies do with LHD. not a lot of fun driving in the gutter is all i can say.

Click to view attachment

Back when I still fixed cars for a living, I had a customer that brought a right hand drive Fairlady Z back from Japan (280ZX in US trim). It was right hand drive. It was "interesting" to test drive. I had a hell of a time learning to shift with my left hand....it really screwed with my coordination. But it was great fun on the highway. Going 70 with a co-worker in the passenger seat, he would hold a steering wheel in his hands. We would pull up next to some unsuspecting person, and he would get their attention, then yank the steering wheel in his hands like he was turning into them.

They would always freak out..... happy11.gif

wonkipop
Back when I still fixed cars for a living, I had a customer that brought a right hand drive Fairlady Z back from Japan (280ZX in US trim). It was right hand drive. It was "interesting" to test drive. I had a hell of a time learning to shift with my left hand....it really screwed with my coordination. But it was great fun on the highway. Going 70 with a co-worker in the passenger seat, he would hold a steering wheel in his hands. We would pull up next to some unsuspecting person, and he would get their attention, then yank the steering wheel in his hands like he was turning into them.

They would always freak out..... happy11.gif
[/quote]

biggrin.gif

you have planted an evil thought.
we have the vehicle to do it.
its ghastly.
(frightens people even without a second steering wheel).

Click to view attachment

your remarks regarding the fairlady only reinforce my view that RHD is un-natural.
i hopped straight into a LHD car in the USA and had no problems.
it felt so right punching the clutch left foot and shifting right hand.
thats the moment i realised i had been living in a f%^ked up not quite republic / psuedo colony that still had an english queen for no good reason.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 8 2021, 04:12 AM) *

biggrin.gif

you have planted an evil thought.
we have the vehicle to do it.
its ghastly.
(frightens people even without a second steering wheel).

Click to view attachment

You really want to freak them out??? Paint the T-Bird like this....

IPB Image

From the Burt Reynolds movie "Stroker Ace"

Clay
wonkipop
@ClayPerrine - you texans sure like your fancy movies.

i had to get up to speed. we only got up to cannonball run down here.
working on my chicken suit to go with the respray.

it is fun hauling out the t bird. usually gets a run every christmas.
gives us a chance to yell at cyclists right in their ear as we cruise past and watch em wobble.

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 10 2021, 01:35 AM) *

gives us a chance to yell at cyclists right in their ear as we cruise past and watch em wobble.

I know it takes all kinds but I didn't expect a 914 owner to be such a dick.
sixnotfour
Texas was The State to import Grey Market cars back in the 80s.. I had an 84 Turbo only had 75miles on it...small problem it had been rolled on the AutoBahn..
wonkipop
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Nov 11 2021, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 10 2021, 01:35 AM) *

I know it takes all kinds but I didn't expect a 914 owner to be such a dick.

we are all dicks down here mate, bike riders and drivers. beerchug.gif

i used to cycle for 20 years in the urban environment. i like to think i had a bit more road sense than what i see these days. i gave up the bike 15 years ago when the SUVs starting hitting the streets. it just got too dangerous being in the soccer mum blindspots.

LHD is interesting, no blindspot and face to face, there isn't 6 feet of car between the bike and the driver when they try and tear you rear view mirror off because you dared to do a left hand in front of them while well in front and indicating. (a right hand turn in america).

some of the stuff i see from bike riders in urban traffic these days is indefensible?
and i used to be one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.