Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater blower motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
I had read that the 75-76 heater blower motors had a splitter (for lack of a better term) on it that allowed for two hoses to be hooked up to the blower motor instead of just one. Like this one:
Click to view attachment
I currently have a blower motor that only has one outlet, like this:: Click to view attachment

Has anyone ever seen the split one before? What's the advantage of having that over the single?
Should I be looking for the split one, since I have a 75? Or will the single be just as good?
914werke
That pic doesn't look like a specific late blower. In 75/76 the housing would be plastic not metal.
To answer your ? its a common item.
Can easily be applied to a 73-> MY car
Keep in mind because the 2nd hose runs over the top of the impeller housing there is also a clamp/mount that is often missing that keeps the hose from being sucked down into the fan.
wonkipop
others here will know exactly when those blowers changed.

i have a 74 1.8. single hose without the splitter.
for sure the 74 1.8 cars had the single hose fan.

it ends up biasing the hot air flow boosted by the fan to the drivers side of cabin.

i guess you could see it as a production bean counter economy maybe.
around 1973/74 inflation was causing big problems for VW and porsche pricing in USA.
they were trying to find ways to keep the prices down.

they might have switched in 75 back to doing two hoses with equalised delivery of boosted hot air thinking that was too cheap?

the fans are not 914 specific parts - are out of the VW 411/412 parts bin.

early two hose fans centrally mounted in 914s were used in sedans/fastbacks.
those fans drew directly from the type 4 cooling air/induction air bodywork plenum.
single oultet fan + splitter is from the variants which had to mount the fan in a different location off to the side in the flatter engine bay.

what they appear to have done in 74 914s is used the variant fan and dropped the sedan fan but not used the variant splitter and had a single hose fitting for the 914.

maybe they changed the blower fan location in 74 to get it completely out of the way of the cooling air path? or did it for economy. who knows.

here are all the VW parts from 411/412 catalogue for esoteric interest.
you can see that all the 914 variations used over the years were present from the get go in the 411/412 and used for the different models.

Click to view attachment
mmichalik
Thanks everyone. Just purchased one from @914werke
914Sixer
Automobile Atlanta makes them NEW $24.50 plus shipping Click to open
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.