Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: interchangeable VW engine for porsche 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlindzey
I may be able to pick up a spare engine for my 914 if i knew what to look for at a liquidation of an old VW repair shop.
what is the model number or characteristics of the engine that i keep hearing gets swapped into 914s, so called bus engine.
how would i identify it by stamped markings on the engine etc?
GregAmy
Sorry to hear another shop is going down...

Engine codes are your bogey. Here's a link I keep for reference; you'll find 914 stuff toward the middle.

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/eng-codes.htm
914Sixer
Stay away from Bus engines, they lived a tough life. Low compression engine.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 7 2021, 08:49 AM) *

Stay away from Bus engines, they lived a tough life. Low compression engine.

agree.gif

Although both are Type 4 VW engines, the T4's used in the 914 are different than those used in the bus. Especially the 2.0L version which had heads with better flow and spark plug location which caried a unique p/n vs. the VW bus parts.
914sgofast2
Any Type4 engine will fit. The problem with buying a used engine as used in Bay Window buses and Vanagons is that they are lower power engines than were ever used in a 914, plus they were always driven flat out to move the heavy vehicles. Anything you buy should be considered a core that will new heads, new P&c’s, and a new cam & lifters to approach 914 levels of power. The engine tin will also have to be replaced with 914 tin, and the oil dipstick and oil filler modified to work in a 914 as well. They are not a simple bolt in and drive replacement for a 914 motor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.