Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What were the purpose of these drains?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jagalyn
There are two rubber type hoses hanging from the bottom of the front trunk on my 14,570 mile car...
I've seen these before but never really understood what the purpose of them were.

You don't see them too often on 914's today. Anyone know what they were for?

Click to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Nov 7 2021, 04:58 PM) *

There are two rubber type hoses hanging from the bottom of the front trunk on my 14,570 mile car...
I've seen these before but never really understood what the purpose of them were.

You don't see them too often on 914's today. Anyone know what they were for?

Click to view attachment

Drains. Still available from 914rubber.
jagalyn
QUOTE(worn @ Nov 7 2021, 07:07 PM) *

Drains. Still available from 914rubber.

I know they are drains. Seems like a really odd design for a drain. Wondering why they would design it like this…
davep
They tend to siphon water from the front trunk that might get by the trunk seal. Also present on the 911.
jagalyn
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 7 2021, 08:03 PM) *

They tend to siphon water from the front trunk that might get by the trunk seal. Also present on the 911.

Thanks for the info. 914 Rubber sells them but they say ‘1 required per car’… then why does my car have two of them?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
no there are two. one behind the other.

they work by inducing low pressure across the end of the pinched nozzle when the car is on the move. venturi effect?

i think the idea might have been you change your tyre when its wet or when its snowing and the tyre is dripping water or melting ice and snow. after you get rolling any water down there in the spare tyre well gets sucked right out?

911s had the same thing or similar in the headlight bucket.

i still got mine hanging out of the bottom of the car though the back one had cracked from age. glued it up a bit. might have to order in some 914 rubber parts for when it inevitably snaps off - its been half a century.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Nov 7 2021, 07:24 PM) *
they say ‘1 required per car’…

914 rubber made a mistake in their description. Syntax happens ...
shades.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.